Optimists in Antigua

Totally confused as well as very amused - report says "he knew that he broke a rule", then "she knew she had broken a rule"

She said "suck my balls"?? That must be OK?  If it was a He then it's not OK.

Discuss.

I dont agree with the it's ok brigade. What happened to manners and sportsmanship?

This is fundamental in a civilised society. Insults, especially by the wrongdoer, are not acceptable. IMO.

Once, such an insult would have been grounds for a duel!

I'm thinking about all the back chat that goes on in every other sport, rugby, soccer, cricket. Cricket is famous for it, with pro players taking a point of pride on how good their sledging is.

But lets take something like school boy rugby, there is always a degree of backchat, baiting and insults. But they are all said out of earshot of officials, and never actually documented to the sports disciplinary body.

So how is it a moment of frustration and back chat in a kids opti race makes international news?

The perpetrator clearly fucked up and lashed out. He confirmed he was frustrated with his performance in the protest hearing.

But, unlike rugby, where you can learn to control your frustration and aggression on the field, learn to control your emotions and focus on the job in hand, this fairly minor incident goes through effectively a court system, and becomes international news.

I'm trying to imagine the psychological effects on the perpetrator? Hardly an effective way to learn life skills. Its been blown out of all proportion.

The method of dealing with the transgression, in the context of kids sailing, is about as useful as tits on a bull.

The windward leeward / RRS infraction dealt with as normal.

The 'suck my balls' bit should be left to the parents of the child to be sorted out in private, as opposed to internationally (this started off on the front page of sailing anarchy...)

There was no racism, sexism, LGBTQI-ABC, pro or anti climate change or any other politically correct hot buttons to it, just a young kid learning how to deal with his emotions when he fucked up. (At least I don't think there was, I'm sure someone will be offended by it somewhere, possibly if they don't have any balls, or if they don't have a tongue for some reason, in which case it was probably discriminatory against people without tongues...)

It wasn't a sideline parent accosting a ref or umpire, there were no brawls, no cheating, no sandpaper on the cricket ball, no performance enhancing drugs, no lead in the king post. Nothing of any note on the scale of sporting scandals. Other than the use of some kiwi vernacular. Oh, and the editor thought it would drive some traffic on Sailing Anarchy's front page.

Its just a young kid lashing out when he fucked up. He's so young he probably doesn't even have any hair on his balls yet.

The 'suck my balls' bit should be left to the parents of the child to be sorted out in private,

Not sure that would work since there is distinct possibility the behaviour was learned from the parents. . Its not unreasonable that there ahould be a penalty,

Not sure there is any basis to say the behaviour was learned from the parent. That sounds about judgy. It may have been learnt from a South Park video.

I don't think the language used was central to the protest. The fact that there was a response to the call 'you hit me, you need to do turns' was relevant, and that the response was to the negative, that is relevant.

The problem with rule two is there is no guidance on interpretation, and it is very wide open to interpretation...

There are many innocuous things I can think to call you (in good nature) that others could say was a breach of rule two. I won't start for fear of unintentionally breaching the forum rules by way of example.

Not sure there is any basis to say the behaviour was learned from the parent. That sounds about judgy. It may have been learnt from a South Park video.

Or the school yard. I was in third form pre south park, yet suck my balls would have been a pretty pedestrian comment amongst my peers at school at that age.
  • Upvote 1

Only ever been in a protest room twice and it comes down too who can tell the most convincing yarn,whether it be right or wrong.Last protest I was in,Darn sure the chappy was in a different race as what was told didnt added up.

• Upvote 1