Plan B for Auckland wharf area, no need for mooring Dolphins ?

I think the barge thing is a bit of a smoke screen. Even if it happens it will be years away. Resource consent to dredge Tamaki River ? I think the biggest thing is when Wilson points out that the cruise ships could use Bledisloe wharf more or less already. I think the problem is POAL's empire building ethos. The dolphins look like a dead dog now thank god.

If I didn't know better I'd think there was an election coming up. Goff's had 3 years to do something here to get rid of the cars. Like his Guvmit mates they are only in office to feather their own nests and gouge the trough of the public purse....and yes,yes ,that's all Guvmits !

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Think it was just lobbed out there to distract people. A 250 vehicle barge would be way bigger than existing Waiheke car ferries which only go up the river as far as just past the marina or maybe 40% of the distance. Getting something larger around the doglegs in the channel which can be challenging for a Piedy at low tide would require a serious amount of dredging, especially given much of the area above the bridges is only 2-3m depth. Then they have the small problem of getting under the old Panmure bridge which at best would impose tide state conditions with its 7.7m of clearance. Or, would they remove the old Panmure Bridge along with the new one they are putting alongside it to host the bus lanes on?

• Upvote 1

POAL hold a consent for the 5 storey car handling facility at Bledisloe and I believe Hawkins is piling as we speak.

Darned near impossible to find any decent drawings of it so I assume another brutal Soviet styled structure so it does not conflict with all the other crap architecture that adorns the waterfront.

n-e-elevation.png

Only the top story will be for public space, which kind if defeats the whole purpose of building it..but the other 4 will be for cars...and since they already have the bottom story, they are gaining very little given one needs sorting areas next to the building.

"Its political" is the best reply Ive had from people who are more in the know