Tornado ripped through downtown Auckland last night including Westhaven....how's your boat?

Went to check our boat yesterday morning. Was just bloody lucky in that it went through about 4 berths away. Hard to describe the damage. Spoke to a guy who was onboard his yacht at the time and also just on the edge of it. Sounds like it was mayhem and thanks to him and the staff many boats were retrieved and tied back up. Seeing relatively new mooring cleats ripped out of the marina is pretty eye opening.

Yep, although the marina is probably more inclined to use it as justification to not have them "it's too dangerous"...

Friends with a 43 foot cat had the pier lifted up and dropped on the back of their boat!

Multihulls should also use there anchors to keep the bow down to counter act some of the force. Reverse in like Med berthing, anchor on the side mid pole section opposite finger side.also when such extreme forecasts are given.

If there was a forecast of well over 100 knots for Monday night I certainly missed it.

• Upvote 4

Yep, that was bad luck. That's all IMO. On the TV they showed the snapped bow lines. Looked like 20 + mm multi braided poly - that black stuff that's quite common. Should have been sufficient, but also snapped the mooring poles in several places...

I reckon that micro-burst could have been 150 knots. Sometimes there is just not much you can do.

• Upvote 2

I’ve been up a mast on a 120ft boat on bombie watch in the tuamotus’s , Barepoles and got hit by a squall was 5 knots before the squall and maybe 45-50 during the squall which lasted about 2 mins . Both my hearing aids got blown out of my ears , boat heeled about 30 degrees and that was a big rig approx 160ft . The boat in the vid looks like the spreaders pretty much hit the water and it broke the dock lines by the sounds so must of been next level in terms of wind speed to do that