Tornado ripped through downtown Auckland last night including Westhaven....how's your boat?

Absolutely astonishing, a boat that size being chucked around like that.

Surely not that surprising? Any sailing yacht is basically proportional, sail area and windage with stability. Inertia, of course is much higher in a larger boat, and must be overcome, which is why movement is slower, but wind for long enough to overcome that will still knock her down, as you can see. But I reckon that gust could have been up around 150 knots.

Yeah had a through the bulb dagger board drew about 4 metres board up and 20 something ton bulb

Thanks, any idea what the dagger board weighs?

20 ton at 4m depth... Looks like it needs a bit more in the bulb!

Thanks, any idea what the dagger board weighs?

20 ton at 4m depth... Looks like it needs a bit more in the bulb!

I think Cazzate is talking about the one he spent time on not the one in the video? Can't find anything online about Encore being lift keel.

I think Cazzate is talking about the one he spent time on not the one in the video? Can't find anything online about Encore being lift keel.

Yeah correct I have no affiliation with encore just giving a comparison to barepole heel in a 50 Knot squall against what happened to encore .

Surely not that surprising? Any sailing yacht is basically proportional, sail area and windage with stability. Inertia, of course is much higher in a larger boat, and must be overcome, which is why movement is slower, but wind for long enough to overcome that will still knock her down, as you can see. But I reckon that gust could have been up around 150 knots.

I was referring to the footage of the cat being flipped over. It didn't have any sails up. 

100mb pressure drop in the centre of a tornado could suck the cat straight up then the wind of the twsiter then sent it over the pier. Similar to In the states you often see pick up trucks being tossed into the air.

A13 tons object being tossed up like that must be a record.

I was referring to the footage of the cat being flipped over. It didn't have any sails up. 

Oh sorry, I didn't read it like that. 

I agree with above - pressure under bridge deck, not the sails, and not the 1st large cat to have been flipped like that IIRC. I think there was one in Sydney last year.....

We had a microburst hit our fleet during a beer-can race some years back . . 

A clump of about 8 keelers (24 to 35 feet) were all knocked down - all masts in the water, tangled rigs, lots of lamentations !!

It came up in minutes, really no warning 

500 yards away, where we were fortunately, puffs were nowhere near as fierce. 

Glad y'all are OK !!