Imoca Apivia

I'm sure the multihull fraternity are looking at the evolution of the imoca's, there ever increasing beam, and their every increasingly wide appendages, and just wondering when they will ditch the lead, and make an evolutionary leap to.... what most of us currently refer to as a multihull.

On a practical point, I guess the pull down and inversion tests the imoca's must pass rule out the evolutionary progression to multihull.

It is interesting how Alex Thompson's launch got so much media coverage, where as this APIVA one was a little less fanfare, but looks equally as a viable contender. And Charal, which is my favourite, mainly cause its a brand of steak sponsoring a racing yacht...

The imoca's is truely an amazing and innovative class. I'm fascinated by the moon beams being spent on these boats, when any old shopping bag or other sea debris can waste it all, by catching on a foil and snapping it. Or the skipper simply having a nap at the wrong time and wrecking the boat, like Alex Thompson's Gaudalope incident. Wonder what lessons they've learnt there. Sounds like his boat is fully automated and (with electric furlers etc) can navigate itself around islands etc now. If autopilots can drive faster than human's, and aircraft can fly and navigate completely on autopilot / computer control, why not apply that to a race boat. The skipper can be the PR / comms man, and otherwise be tasked with systems maintenance and repair. No more actual sailing the boat. Just a passenger with a spanner, some CRC, and a sat phone for firmware updates...