Sex and sailing

I could have said sexism but that got your attention.

Today on a friend's Facebook page:

Today the commodore of my yacht club said a race around half the country was "for girls " as opposed to a race around the whole country. So glad i just paid $300 in fees to support sexist bullshit.

One of the bigger Auckland clubs.

A couple of old dinosaurs chatting over a drink at the bar, well, they could pull the “ the world is too pc “ line.. But this was said by the Commodore of the club, while speaking in his capacity as the Commodore. He should know better, and if he doesn’t, he probably shouldn’t be the commodore

• Upvote 2

Girls as in one half of the Olympic offshore keelboat shorthanded sailing team?

That kind of girl?

I think context is important, but smart people don't make comments that can be taken that far out of context...

I wouldn't bother with the comments, accept for the official capacity of the person making them.

Yeah, Fish, that kind of girl! ????

Am one of two women in the regular 8.5 fleet here in Auckland. We were the only boat to go out today (gusting high 30's). Took great pleasure in telling the other crews to woman up and stop being a bunch of a boys ????

And if you know me, you'll know those comments were dripping in love and sarcasm. Equality for all! What's between your legs has zero impact on how you sail a boat!! (I can't believe I have to explain this to some people!)

• Upvote 7

As the Race Director of the only Club that regular run races around the country or half of it, that comment disgusts me, there has been women in every RNI, and RNZ that I’ve either sailed in or been involved in running. And they are often on the podium

• Upvote 1

I think you could make one of thise flowchart thingies here

Did he know he was being offensive? Yes- he's a dickhead. No- tell him such comments will offend a lot of people. Is he going to alter his behaviour? No- he's an even bigger dickhead. Yes.- sorted, go sailing.

There are two elements to the offence though.

The bit that girls are somehow less capable of sailing, which isn't an acceptable thing to say,

or the bit where a Commodore of a club is denigrating a major and very popular race of another club.

Not to mention that that particular race is viewed widely as a real test of sailing ability, is a massive challenge, and is considered by many to be tougher than any of the offshore races to the islands that start out of NZ. A race that many would aspire to just complete.

I mean, the sexism thing is sexism, but why denigrate a race around half the country? Especially when there has always been 'girls' in that race? Hence why I am genuinely interested in the context - some smack talk back and forth OK, I can get that could be taken out of context. Was this really in an official capacity?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, Fish, that kind of girl!

Am one of two women in the regular 8.5 fleet here in Auckland. We were the only boat to go out today (gusting high 30's). Took great pleasure in telling the other crews to woman up and stop being a bunch of a boys

And if you know me, you'll know those comments were dripping in love and sarcasm. Equality for all! What's between your legs has zero impact on how you sail a boat!! (I can't believe I have to explain this to some people!)

+1

There was a request for context.

Yes he was speaking as commodore at an official function . She would still have not liked it even if an offhand comment at the bar but "official " was worse. However he has since apologized so let us hope lesson learned and carry on as you were.

The vast majority of Kiwis are gracious and thoughtful  . . 

but over the years I did run into a few Colonel Blimp types like the Commodore. 

(A bit later . . ) And wow, I did not know that the Blimp creator was a Kiwi !! 

Wiki "Blimp was a satire on the reactionary opinions of the British establishment of the 1930s and 1940s. The cartoon was intended to criticize attitudes of isolationism, impatience with the concerns of common people, and a lack of enthusiasm for democracy. These were attitudes which Low, a New Zealander, considered as being common in British politics.[2] Although Low described his character Blimp as "a symbol of stupidity", he lessened the insult to the British ruling class by adding that "stupid people are quite nice".

If I recall correctly, one of the girls in the last RNI did two of the legs with a broken collarbone after wiping out with big gear up in 35 knots exiting Wellington harbour

A true girly girl !! Hats off to her and all her elk !!