American Magic

Sigh. I watch the boats, but mostly I watch the scenery. I'd love to be  sailing up the harbour with Rangitoto and Browns ahead, and a lunchtime swim at Izzy Bay in prospect. But (sighs again) looks like that's off for the foreseeable future ... unless the new majority government opens the borders a wee bit.

I see some celeb's nanny was deemed an essential worker; perhaps as granny and grandpa, we could make a similar claim that the grand-sailors need our care?

10 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Where are you ATF?

Toronto, where the days are growing shorter and colder and boats are out of the water.

In the usual run of things, I'd be getting ready to head south. Instead I am buying firewood and contemplating woolly hats.

On 22/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, Above-the-Fold said:

Montreal is colder than Toronto. Our wine only turns to slush.

You have to learn to play in it - ice boats, ice fishing, ice skiing, ice skating,  . . 

more or less ice everything 

(Although last year around the Sweetwater Seas we had practically no winter at all. I'll bet Invercargill was colder the last few months.) 

Wait, I take that back. Checked out Invercargill climate. In winter we are colder - and Montreal is WAAAAY colder. 

Sure glad I did not make an ass of myself  . .. . . . .  ..  . . again 

The ice boats are ridiculously fast . .   

image.jpeg.ba5fbf49e6d90b056e0c7716c7c31907.jpeg

1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

You have to learn to play in it - ice boats, ice fishing, ice skiing, ice skating,  . . 

more or less ice everything 

(Although last year around the Sweetwater Seas we had practically no winter at all. I'll bet Invercargill was colder the last few months.) 

Wait, I take that back. Checked out Invercargill climate. In winter we are colder - and Montreal is WAAAAY colder. 

Sure glad I did not make an ass of myself  . .. . . . .  ..  . . again 

The ice boats are ridiculously fast . .   

image.jpeg.ba5fbf49e6d90b056e0c7716c7c31907.jpeg

I was born here. I have played in it for decades, Now I want to be in the sunshine. Especially since I can't even play hockey this year.

On 24/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Black Panther said:

Although if I ever got the opportunity an ice boat would be a blast. 

If borders ever open up, we can totally make that happen . . (serious offer) 

but you'll need the right clothing - when you take off on an iceboat in decent breeze, you'll be up to speed in about five seconds - and the chill index from the apparent wind will instantly feel like minus 20 C 

Nowadays we softies wear full snow mobile suits with tight helmets - moon boots, big gloves. 

You'll love it. 

On 24/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Black Panther said:

Although if I ever got the opportunity an ice boat would be a blast. 

Another ice boat note - like many other nautical innovations, they were invented in the Netherlands (or possibly the Baltics).