Wright 11

Hi All,

Does anyone know much about the Wright 11. From what I can see they look like a pretty good large volume cruiser. How would they compare pricewise against a good Farr 1220? Performance? I’ve seen a couple around (Mystic Lass, Tuxedo Junction) but there doesn’t appear to be too many around.....

I guess it's a comparison between glass V timber. Don't know much about performance differences. Wright boats give you good volume and usually good balance but don't know much about the Wright 11. The one on the market at the moment looks like a very nice boat.

The Wright is smaller, and a bit slower. That one is in very good order, someone has spent a lot on her. Its at the top end of possible pricing for that. a 1220 in that condition should be worth more, but would be a rare find - as that Wright is.

There are lots of much later model boats around for that money.... but modern production.

Do we know how long ago this was? They are wanting a top end price in todays market and I wonder about the future state of the internal cabinetry, electronics, engine etc.

Considering it was an insurance job they would have rewired the whole boat, electronics should be ok as it sounds like it never sank only halfway up engine.

If engine never submerged past the intake there shouldnt be any issues and again being an insurance job it would have been thoroughly checked.

They are nice boats and seem to sail well, i wouldnt compare it to a 1220 as you are comparing an 11m to a 12.2m so hardly fair to match them off against eachother.

Considering it was an insurance job they would have rewired the whole boat, electronics should be ok as it sounds like it never sank only halfway up engine.

If engine never submerged past the intake there shouldnt be any issues and again being an insurance job it would have been thoroughly checked.

They are nice boats and seem to sail well, i wouldnt compare it to a 1220 as you are comparing an 11m to a 12.2m so hardly fair to match them off against eachother.

Yes you are right about the comparisons, and some good points too re the repairs. The reason I asked bout the 1220s was there was a few on the market a while ago for a similar price so was weighing that up - but then again the 1050s are in a similar range.

My preference is the 1050 but there just aren’t any available, and the wright ticks a lot of boxes in terms of what my wife and I have thought would be nice to have on a cruising boat:

Bimini

Furling main

Freezer

Shower.

Most of our sailing is cruising, but I do like something that sails well, and would do the occasional race.

It’s a hard road finding the perfect boat (on a budget) :-) - and Alan Wright seems to be able to pack a lot of room into his boats

Wright 11m great boat.

Three skin kauri glassed large volume walk through transom boom furl yanmar what’s not to like.

Vastly different than a Farr in manners less tippy and energetic more a cruiser but not a dog like a Bavaria or Bendy Boy so all you need is a 12m marina and happy days.

Yes you are right about the comparisons, and some good points too re the repairs. The reason I asked bout the 1220s was there was a few on the market a while ago for a similar price so was weighing that up - but then again the 1050s are in a similar range.

My preference is the 1050 but there just aren’t any available, and the wright ticks a lot of boxes in terms of what my wife and I have thought would be nice to have on a cruising boat:

Bimini

Furling main

Freezer

Shower.

Most of our sailing is cruising, but I do like something that sails well, and would do the occasional race.

It’s a hard road finding the perfect boat (on a budget) :-) - and Alan Wright seems to be able to pack a lot of room into his boats

Remember it is a buyers market so if they want to sell they would be flexible on price.

Remember it is a buyers market so if they want to sell they would be flexible on price.

And also remember that a 1220 won’t fit a 12m berth

Some marinas have 12.5m berths but you will probably be up for a 13.5m which will take a 44 footer

It never ends, but then again your choice is spend it or leave it for someone else to spend.

Don't think she's an Oceans, think same hull as Tuxedo Junction, Quiet Riot et al.  A well sailed 1220 would have the Wright 11 in breeze, even or a slight edge to the Wright in the light.

That would make a big difference, sounds like a scaled up  lotus 10.2 or Wright 10, should be a nice all-rounder .

That would make a big difference, sounds like a scaled up  lotus 10.2 or Wright 10, should be a nice all-rounder .

I take it you mean a Lotus 10.6. 10.6 and a Wright 10 are like chalk and cheese. Totaly different design concepts. The Wright 10 is a lot narrower than the Lotus designs and a bit more tender and quicker off the wind.