2019 Coastal Classic

Carpet Diem anchored across other side of Bon Accord from us. Main not completely down, top 5 foot or so still up. Might just be nothing but maybe main/mast track problem?

This isn't just me seeing things - is Motorboat II in front of Miss Scarlet on the tracker? 

I haven't been able to find MB2 on the tracker all day, turns out they are in div 2, I was looking in div 1b... (kind of says somehting that I was expecting them to be in div 1)

They are in a straight line abreast with Anarchy and Ms Scarlet, but MB2 are well out east, but doing 15 knts compared to 12.6 for the other two.

Will be interesting how going out wide pays off for them, they certainly seem to have the speed out there at the moment.

I can see a few big multis finishing from where im anchored. And at the same time I can feel the breeze easing. So anyone finishing from now on is disadvantaged re handicap placings.

Why not a Mark Foy start? You could run some routing software based on current forecast and give everyone a start time that puts them at the finish at say 10am Sat. It would make the finish way more interesting.

I can see a few big multis finishing from where im anchored. And at the same time I can feel the breeze easing. So anyone finishing from now on is disadvantaged re handicap placings.

Why not a Mark Foy start? You could run some routing software based on current forecast and give everyone a start time that puts them at the finish at say 10am Sat. It would make the finish way more interesting.

The start is a big draw for me. And Mark Foy would still be biased if the wind changed during the starting period.

I think it doesn't matter how you run it, the weather will change over the 10-15h it takes for a fast mono to make it, and even more so for the slower monos. At the end of the day, the only way you can make it without the weather changing dramatically it so sail a blinder at speeds up to 45knts as Beau Geste just did - and of course you're not going to manage that in a Peidy no matter how tricked out it is. So unless it's a drifter and the wind fills in gradually from the south after 15h, the slower boats will always be finishing a day after the fast ones. 

The two legged race would reduce that spread somewhat, but still leave you with the weather change problem.

At the moment the front boats, like MoteeBoaty are pushing against the outgoing tide, and beating directly into about 8knt of breeze - so that's also hardly optimal conditions to try and get a great time after a blinder up the coast. 

any good start videos out there?

we saw some massive knock downs happening around us

Indeed it looked like carnage. Saw someone flying the largest white flag I've ever seen from a masthead halyard...

What is up with the division splits in this race?

Some divisions have 5 entrants, others have 36.  So if you win div 2, you have to beat seven times as many boats than if you win div 8.

I think the organizers should change the bands next year to even them out a bit. Particularly divs 2 and 5.

Div1a: 13

Div1b: 24

Div 2: 36

Div 3: 12

Div 4: 8

Div 5: 34

Div 6: 8    (multi 1)

Div 7: 7    (multi 2)

Div 8: 5    (no extras)

The division splits 1a to 5 are phrf based. These were set in the NOR before any entries were redirected so it says more about where the active race fleets are at the moment.

8 no extras I think is a bit of an anomaly , as it has likely lost a few boats to the cruising rally, which in its self arms to be growing well.