Battery Drills

I need some opinions on Battery Drills from the heavy users please.
My drill has died and I need another. Drills get an absolute hammering from me. I often have to use Hole saws, which means they are under that maximum loads. So often it is the gearbox that fails.
Over the years I have been  big user of Makita and Dewalt. I have found Makita are just not what they used to be and I no longer use them. DeWalt in all it's tool range has been fantastic. But I just broke the gearbox on my DeWalt and the batteries are getting really tired, the chuck doesn't hold well anymore, so time for a new one.
I looked at a few reviews on line and Milwaukee came up as being really good. But it is not cheap. Interestingly, AEG is made by the same company that owns Milwaukee. Probably not in the same factory and probably not of the same components, bit there are many similarities between the two. I wondered if anyone has used AEG or Milwaukee??
Any others like Hitachi etc etc???

I reckon 80% of established builders I see are using Makita. I think that says something. There are a few that use Milwaukee as well.

We have had nothing but trouble with hitachi gear at work, so much so they will no longer offer us warranty claims, we have sent so much stuff back! The only reason we haven’t changes is the dozens of hitachi batteries we have.

I agree that makita is not what it used to be. I would never consider it with the many stories i have heard from multiple people lately.

I have found ryobi the best value for money, and i use an older lithium brushed 18v. Its not very powerful for a 18v drill but far less expensive than the others. I have done plenty of tough work with it drilling into steel, stainless, and hardwood. My first one broke after 5 years and it's replacement is still going strong 4 years later. At just over $100 fof just the drill it is a no brainer for me. Their chucks are their main weakness though, and my one is now pretty buggered.

Milwaukee is generally the most powerful and I think they have now sorted their reliability issues. AEG seems pretty good too, I havent heard anything bad about them and have worked with a few guys who use them. I'm sure u know that brushless is worth getting.

This is my experience as a sparky over the years.

Jason, those boys need to try DeWalt sometime soon. I will never go back to Makita after going to DeWalt.
Bazza, na Ryobi just doesn't have the guts to drive TCT Hole saws.

Hitachi is now Hikoki and has come about due to Hitachi selling it's tool plant and the new owners now own Hitachi and Metabo. They have kind of melded the two together under the name of Hikoko for the Europe, Asian Pacific markets and is still being sold under the Hitachi brand in North America. They have a new range of tools from the meld, of which I have not tried yet.
And example....The Impact wrench has a frightening 1100ft/lb of torque. At that, you would sure want to hope the nut comes lose because it is sure going to shear of the bolt if it doesn't.

Had a test onsite recently between me the chippie with Makita, sparky with Dewalt and plumber with AEG.

150mm tungsten carbide hole saw through 3 x 18mm customwood gib framed wall and weatherboard.

AEG was just junk.

Dewalt nice chuck nowhere near the grunt of the Makita which was a wrist breaker, save your body and use the long bar provided.

Model of Makita DHP481 running 6ah battery.

Wheels why not look to a far more robust old school 240v engineers type drill for gearbox durability .

Makita DP4000K is what we use.

DP4002-M.jpg

Hilti for me all the way.Have 3 at work and they are used 5 days a week ran for 15 years.Dropped often from 1.8m ladder no problems.2 new battery pack in that time.Finally the variable speed/ braking started to go.Just got a new 18v Hilti with new steel chuck,hoping for another 15 years

Wheels why not look to a far more robust old school 240v engineers type drill for gearbox durability .

Actually I do. A Bosh that's probably 30years old and still going strong, although the chuck needs replacing. I also use a Drill Mill when the part can be brought to the drill and fits under it. However, there are many times where a Battery drill is the best shot for the job.

Anyone remember those really old metal cased Wolf drills. Remember nearly breaking both arms on one of those.

I cant claim to use our drill as aggressively as you but so far happy with the Milwaukee M12, but wish I had got the M18. 

Brought it last time in the USA at $99USD from home depot. The charger was easy to convert to 240V and got two batteries and impact driver as well.

The batteries charge very quickly.