Great Barrier ferry at Westhaven Marina

The GB ferries are moving to Westhaven, and will do a big U turn at the Westhaven entrance 11 times per day.

All boats must give way and keep 100 metres clear.

There will be a flashing light system to warn boaties.

This is happening around the end of October.

When they close the western entrance later this year, watch out for a bottleneck and traffic jams!   ;-)

https://www.westhaven.co.nz/sealink/

Am unaware of any maritime rules that give ferries any special rights apart from might is right. If they are overtaking, should keep clear, should keep clear of vessels on starboard side and should give way to yachts sailing. Common sense should dictate appropriate behaviour however can you see yachts standing by on a Wednesday night race after battling traffic to get there on time only to put up with this. And a two minute period to stand by seems unrealistic - take more than that to get into my marina sometimes in a blow. 

Or am I way out of date and has the Council snuck through a bylaw I am unaware of?

Must give way to any timetable ferry

Can't see that in bylaws - only restrictions appear to relate only to ferry basin terminal.

Has always been my understanding but here is a NZ article which is open for debate.

http://www.mastermariners.org.nz/?p=725

A vessel over 500 gross tons, navigating in a Narrow Channel, sights a red light fine on her starboard bow. The Master believes it to be the sidelight of a small sailing vessel, a vessel that is required not to impede his vessel. As a risk of collision is seen to be developing, is the vessel that is not to be impeded the ‘stand on’ vessel required to take action to comply with Rule 22.17?

OR

Does the vessel that is not to be impeded become the ‘give way’ vessel required to keep out of the way complying with Rule 22.18 (1) (d)?

Maritime NZ’s considered opinion was:

??? read on

Its good to see such clarity with regards to rules for avoiding collisions with ferries. I'm sure this forum reflects a reasonable cross section of general boaties that will be using the Westhaven entrance.

What could possible go wrong with a commercial ferry doing a crazy Ivan 22 times a day in one of the most congested pieces of water in Auckland?

PS, I've commissioned reports from three different consultants (none of whom have actually ever been on a boat) and when they come up with a coherent answer, I'll let you know.

every boat must keep to the starboard (right) side of any channel. inside a harbour (normally shown on the pilotage limit on the chart) you must keep out of the way of any ship over 500 tons (which is about 50 metres in length). do not create a wake which causes unnecessary danger to other boats or people.

This was drummed in to me about 40 years ago. I am confident it will be documented somewhere just where is the problem.

The NZ 500 ton rule applies as a specific bylaw in any NZ harbour. The sailboat is required to stay out of the way of a vessel over 500 ton when within harbour limits.

However, immediately it becomes apparent to the power vessel master that the sailboat is not doing so (5 sound signals), the "I dont understand your intentions", commonly known as WTF are you doing signal, they are required to take whatever action they seem best to avoid the collision.

The harbour master has ruled that you must keep 100m from the ferry, in this area. You must do so.

RYA/MCA master 200 ton.

• Upvote 2

I agree IT but the question regarding 500 ton refereed to actions required under the collision regulations of which there are no specific ones.

The article refereed to did well to point out the poorly worded responses from a number of people who are paid to do better. This stuff ends up in the courts and possibly the coroners court, following advice that is wrong would not make a good defense. Dying to defend your rights may be noble in some circumstances but in these situations its probably called something else.

Just to clarify, we pay a squillion dollars a year to berth our boats at a marina that was originally built by boaties for boaties and now we are being told we have to wait to get out through the only remaining entrance to let a commercial ferry operator in and out.

f*ck Off!

• Upvote 4

Pretty surprised that people on here don't know about the 500 ton rule. 

This was drummed into us on the Coastguard Boatmaster course, and clearly stated that all ferries in Auckland must give way to yachts, except the car ferries which are over 500 tons.

• Upvote 1

You guys are slow. This is the first move to remove all recreational boats from Westhaven so Panuku can sell it free of existing tenancies. Might take a while but like Rachael's hair it will happen.

Crikey Armchair where on earth did that cracking gem of a conspiracy theory come from.

However I agree that Panuku has gone down the ill informed ivory tower management disconnect from reality at Westhaven similar to Auckland Transports bizarre behaviour.

TLA election time folks make the effort to contact your local contenders to voice your concerns.

Crikey Armchair where on earth did that cracking gem of a conspiracy theory come from.

However I agree that Panuku has gone down the ill informed ivory tower management disconnect from reality at Westhaven similar to Auckland Transports bizarre behaviour.

TLA election time folks make the effort to contact your local contenders to voice your concerns.

Can't be a conspiracy......I thought the same.......remove the boats and build apartments on stilts......no reclaiming required.

every boat must keep to the starboard (right) side of any channel. inside a harbour (normally shown on the pilotage limit on the chart) you must keep out of the way of any ship over 500 tons (which is about 50 metres in length). do not create a wake which causes unnecessary danger to other boats or people.

This was drummed in to me about 40 years ago. I am confident it will be documented somewhere just where is the problem.

Navigation safety bylaws - 2014

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Documents/navsafetybylawcontrols2014.pdf

54 Duty of person in charge of a vessel under 500 gross tonnage

(1) The person in charge of a vessel under 500 gross tonnage must not allow their vessel to impede the navigation of any large vessel if the vessels are in a pilotage area.

• Upvote 1

I am curious what process this went through.  There must have been a consent issued to build the new docking etc.  Was it non-notified?  If it was notified who was told?  How come the first we all seemed to know about it was when it first appeared in the Westhaven news two or three months ago?

It was all part of the AC36 resource consent. Admittedly that was one of the fastest consent application processes but was certainly widely consulted and communicated.

Punuku Development Auckland have a stand at the Auckland on water Boat show, stand KP101, which is over on the Kairanga Plaza side (by Team NZ building), and fairly well removed from the main boat show area, but I'm sure they will happily answer any and all questions.

To be fair though, I'd be surprised if anyone paid enough to shaft you will be there, just some lovely PR types trotting out well rehearsed twaddle bollocks.