Sailors rescued by cruise ship

Confusing story, mentions a yacht but also twin propellers. I’m guessing a rope snagged tight around twin counter-rotating shafts causing one or both shafts to laterally rip out of the hull. Which I’ve seen happen before. So I doubt the rope itself breached the hull.

I wonder all of the above, then thought Motor Yacht ?

Discarded mooring line it says, could easily have been a line from a fishing vessel left floating, generally mooring lines don’t float, but guess some do.

I wouldn't have thought a yachts auxillary would have enough power to tear a hole in the hull, maybe a bent shaft.

You don't need very much force, if you have a shaft on a strut, to do enough damage to cause a water ingress when catching a rope on the prop. More so if it was a sudden jamming, and you were at high revs. My main concern would be twisting the strut base off the hull (or even enough to loosen it and allow water ingress around the bolts). Other risks are around the stern tube. Don't forget physics equal and opposite law. If the prop suddenly stops, the engine is going to try and rotate in the opposite direction, with associated forces. All you need to do is pull the shaft off centre enough to let water in around the shaft seal / packing gland.

Years ago as a child I remember seeing a Grand Banks motif boat come alongside us into one of the English Channel ports after running over a line floating just below the surface. Running at 8-9 kts displacement speeds the twin Fords turning counter-rotating prop shafts caused the rope to rip one shaft strut out of position and damage the other. After much effort he managed to limp into port on one engine whilst just containing the water ingress with multiple bilge pumps. Was then hauled out. Think it might have been Cherbourg. Back in the days when we were squeezed into a 26ft family cruiser and a Grand Banks 42 was my dream boat!

that's a sad story. Saw that boat in Port Vila and she was immaculate.

A catamaran on the ICNZ rally hooked up a buoy rope on the way to Tonga in June - they thought it was some sort of oceanic observation buoy - pulled the engine bed off the hull on port side leaving a crack in the hull and hence pumping all the way to Nukualofa

We picked up a lobster pot line in the Caribbean while motorsailing

Smashed the adapter plate and pulled the gearbox off the engine.

Talking to Americans afterwards and they couldn’t believe we didn’t have a rope cutter fitted to our prop shaft, something that’s very normal there but rarely heard of here

OK can you guys stop telling these stories now please...

Hahaha!

Seriously, I know 1000s of small, simple cruising boats have crossed oceans incident-free but as (1) I get older and (2) have family w. young kids it combines to make me more risk averse. And more inclined to consider buying one of the purpose-built blue-water cruisers that have watertight bulkheads with forward crash zones and sealed engine compartments that allow you to continue running the engine and bilge pumps even when seriously breached. To help buy you more time until help arrives. Think Amel etc.

• Upvote 1