Temporary mooring wanted - Weiti/Whangaparaoa

Hi all,

I'm looking for a temporary mooring for a 9.2m trimaran drawing 0.5m from around 19th to the 28th Oct.  Ideally in the Weiti River but will take anything that might be out there.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

There are regularly short term moorings available at Weiti boating club. They are managed by the club, i.e. any boat hauling out for maintenance (or pimping) like Kick, the club manager will pop a sub let on the mooring.

Best phone Katie, the manager, on 09 424 5905

Of course there are other moorings around. A fair few up by the Stillwater boating club, and some random ones further upstream from there. I don't know how to get hold of them.

More on here:

http://www.weiti.co.nz/

Thanks guys, I'll give Katie a bell. I'll also try further up the Weiti as I'm hopefully hauling the boat up at Fusion on the 28th Oct.

BP, thanks for the offer, may be that I can find enough rope!

Cheers,

Dave

If you are going up to Fusion anyway, and draw enough to float in a bath tub, you could probably find a suitable spot to anchor that is out of the way, further above the Stillwater boating club. Depending on how fussy you are. I haven't been that far up for a while, but if you laid an anchor out fore and aft I'd think you would be fine. It's obviously sheltered up there, no wave action, a bit of current from tide is all. Mud bottom / river banks at low tide. If you are happy taking the bottom, it would be easy to find a spot.

Of course, very few insurance policies cover boats at anchor unattended for more than 24 hrs.

There is more than one derelict boat tucked away up there...

If you are going up to Fusion anyway, and draw enough to float in a bath tub, you could probably find a suitable spot to anchor that is out of the way, further above the Stillwater boating club. Depending on how fussy you are. I haven't been that far up for a while, but if you laid an anchor out fore and aft I'd think you would be fine. It's obviously sheltered up there, no wave action, a bit of current from tide is all. Mud bottom / river banks at low tide. If you are happy taking the bottom, it would be easy to find a spot.

Of course, very few insurance policies cover boats at anchor unattended for more than 24 hrs.

There is more than one derelict boat tucked away up there...

I wouldnt be doing that, my parents and others have their boats on certified pile moorings up river and it makes them most nervous when people do that.

Have seen a few boats that try that and have dragged into the mud banks and then sink, also my previous boat was moored up there and got damaged by a boat dragging in a storm, not nice when you are on the receiving end of someones bad decision.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all, appreciate the advice and suggestions.  Events have conspired to slide my transit to Auckland by a week or so, I'm hoping that I won't need a mooring now, straight to the haulout for me.  I'm hopefully getting one dropped in the Weiti in mid November in the Stillwater field, fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Dave

Stillwater is a great place to be Dave. We live up there next to the stillwater boat club and really enjoy it. Are you planning on getting a new mooring put in? I have a mooring but it's currently in use sorry. When you get up here flick me a message and I will come and say hi.

Sorted, thanks all.  Katie at the WBC was most accommodating and the boat is now hanging off mooring No 60 at the Northern end.  Not yours is it Kick?

Booboo, I do like the area, I live in Orewa so it's nice and handy.  I'm getting a new mooring dropped in November hopefully up at the Northern end of the Stillwater field, apparently I'll be able to wade out to the boat at low tide but at least I've got somewhere to park it.  Be good to catch up when the dust has settled, I'll probably be joining the SBC, are you a member?

Cheers,

Dave