Mantus Swivels

Ok, if you are going to fit a swivel, dont do it like in your link. Put 4 or five chain links between the swivel and the anchor.
This prevents side loading the swivel, they dont deal with that well. 

See this thread http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/11544-anchor-connections-warning/?hl=anchor+swivel

Ive never had a swivel and often wonder what they are for?

Yeah me too, but I'm led to believe that KM knows his stuff with ropes, chains n whips. 

Our cruising set up is 16kg Excel Sarca, 2x certified green pin Bow shackles (monel siezed), 40m G4 8mm AQUA4 Maggi, spliced to 60m Lyros 14mm 3 strand laid polyester. 83kg total.

Mostly, you dont need a swivel. Some boats, sometimes do.

I find that if I've been at anchor somewhere where the boat does circles with a tide, and I've been there a while, I need the swivel to unwind the chain otherwise when retrieving I have issues.

If you have a boat that the chain for whatever reason can twist, maybe the roller or bow fitting design, you will likely need a swivel. They are common, esp on offshore vessels that do lots of anchoring. But also often not required.

interested in the 2 x shackles, is that because you cannot find one that fits from the anchor to the chain directly,  I have the same anchor and chain setup and any of the rated galv shackles i have been able to find wont fit one or the other so I ended up with 2 but then kept getting them caught on the bow fitting as the anchor lifted so end up removing,  currently using a stainless shackle that does fit both but the load rating is a lot less.  Have been considering putting on a swivel simply to remove the 2 shackle need.  It seems a bit of a design flaw on the Sacra 16kg that it does not easily mate to 8mm chain.

I currently have a mate with the same who is in the lifting equipment game who is trying to source decent shackle to connect these together in one go

interested in the 2 x shackles, is that because you cannot find one that fits from the anchor to the chain directly, I have the same anchor and chain setup and any of the rated galv shackles i have been able to find wont fit one or the other so I ended up with 2

Exactly. The pins will fit the chain but the shackle bow won’t. So to have the pin pass through the anchor shank rather than the bow, two shackles is how I've done it.

Apart from the obvious addition of something else that can go wrong principle...A lot of cruising yachts I know have tried them and then got rid of the because they stuff up their anchors self stowing. The benefit of not having one mainly applies to an all chain rode. As long as the chain rides in the set groove of the anchor / bow roller it will rotate to the right orientation for self stowing. This is not always the case for anchors on a swivel (or rope rodes)..

In such a situation of the anchor not riding onto the bowsprit is correct orientation, an anchor straightener should be used. It's a long thing shaped kinda like a banana. One end is designed to take the shank of the anchor, the other end is the chain. The bend in it makes the anchor untwist and lie in the correct position as it hits the bowsprit. It also operates as a swivel. Available in both Galv and SST. Not expensive.