we brought a new yacht

Hi All, havent posted much in the last few years, but been plenty busy getting sorted for the next adventure.

the family and i have rented the house and flown to the Med and brought a 50 footer to sail home to NZ.

she is a 2005 Grand Soleil 50 called Wave. 

you can follow our Vlog here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_3c2EqK-hsZHmPchgGoFxg

we are doing the typical milk run home and have already run into a couple of other Kiwi families doing this at the same time as us.

so yes after 19 years of cruising and racing Oracle, i will have to change my log in here to Wave.

by the way Oracle is still for sale on trade me.

if you like the videos let us know, or have any suggestions of places to visit also let us know.

we are currently sailing down the coast of Spain towards Gibraltor

new-onboard.jpg

• Upvote 3

keep a close eye on the rigging work.

Friend bought a yacht in Spain beginning of the year, had all standing rigging replaced in Barcelona. Arrived back in NZ a month ago. When I was looking over her noted rust creeping up from one of the swages on a lower, closer inspection showed at least 1 strand was broken and other on their way.

I prefer compression type fittings on the bottom of the stays.

just had bit of a nasty storm go trough the marina, past now and sunny again, but cold, nights are about 8deg, and days although nice and sunny are about 16 degrees. 

see our latest Vlogs here: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_3c2EqK-hsZHmPchgGoFxg

about to leave Port Balis and go south to the warmer weather, pretty much all jobs complete and now ready to cross the Atlantic.

just did a crazy overnight sail from Post Balis/Barcelona  - 215nm in 30 hours to Port Javea just down from Valencia. started motoring/sailing into light head winds then it was supposed to be building wind from behind, but instead building from 20kn to be 30-40kn tight reaching for the last 8 hours, covered 100nm in 10 hours. except for the last 3 hours when we just wanted to get there and shelter was quite comfy in our fast cruiser, ended with 2 reefs in mainsail and half genoa furled. 

on our way to Gibraltar now, down the spanish coast, should be there in about 2 days time. if the weaher holds, pick up some crew there and a few days later head off for the Canaries to meet up with some other kiwi families doing the same trip with kids also.

• Upvote 2

now in Cape Verde, Mindelo, nice 900nm sail here, all downwind, about 1 day of motoring and 5.5 days to get here, had to slow down on the last night to 5kn to arrive in daylight. 

there are quite a few sunken fishing trawlers in the bay that are unlit, great anchoring/holding though, well go in the marina tomorrow and stock up ready for the Atlantic crossing. currrent weather pattern looks like taking 12-14 days. but will be taking it easy so maybe longer.