Mid 70s Kauri logs

In another thread i said I had an Avon inflatable and just brought a seagull O/B . Some one replied saying  basically why the hell any one would buy one of them? mind you they do have there supporters. I couldnt think of a short answer so how about a long one.  

For 13 years I have owned a double diagonal Kauri  mid 70s Nova 28 which is an extremely sedate craft made even slower with bilge keels.  At first I had grand ideas of upgrading everything, new engine, electronics, furling sails, new sails etc. But after a while  i thought whats the point , none of it is really going to make her go faster although somethings make things safer so moved a bit there.  So the question is what is the purpose of owning such craft, its certainly not an appreciating asset, so it all boils down to preservation of a bit of history. I find it somewhat sad to see kauri yachts and launches for that matter rotting away so the main mission is keeping fresh water from getting into the decks and below which in the long run takes a sh*t load of money and time. Once they  deteriorate to a certain point you have lost it.  So  I am increasingly keeping her as original as possible, original yanmar  single diesel, hanked on sails , even get a bit excited when I find pulley blocks in the parts box with Made In New Zealand on them so on they go rather than those colourfull holey jobs.   Thats not to say I havent given up on some things, she had a mechanical wasp log that i gave up on . I used to use a bit of cord with a weight to find anchorage depths in the Gulf which was kind of rewarding in some strange way. Have now got electronic depth and speed but ironically cannot get it to work yet. Never had a plotter but used paper charts and a pencil with a tramping GPS.  Have only sailed the gulf and Gt Barrier. So with all that in mind that is why I have an Avon and seagull.        

• Upvote 1

What you are talking about is an appreciation of art.

Some people think art is bright colours and paint on a wall, but art is much wider and more diverse than that.

Its something about 'form and function' that comes with things that have a use, but also looks good, or has proportion, or what ever element makes it attractive in an artistic way.

The best way I can describe it is the pleasure in driving something like an old HJ Holden, big bench seats, column shift. You compare it to a modern car and those holdens were shithouse, but there is still something about the tactile feel, the smell, the sound, the simplicity of the mechanicals. You don't get that in a modern car, sure you get climate control, ABS, cruise control and central locking, but you feel removed from the environment, somehow detached.

We have a 35 yr old kauri log, and I have often likened it to driving an old Holden, its not flash, its not that comfy compared to other options, it needs a lot of maintenance, but it is damn satisfying :-)

• Upvote 2

Ours will be 45 next year.

Smashed our way out of Fiji a month ago, doesn't creak or groan, all the cupboard doors open, scantlings that make some of the modern brands look like ice cream containers.

A fast cruiser in 1975 and still quick enough . 6.5 days navula pass to the ninepin.

These old boats are built to another level and by world class boat builders, they're worth the effort.

• Upvote 2

Well priscilla just looked up that link on Phillip Wilson. Can never remember who built Mahoe so just looked up a survey report I have dated 1988 and it says built by Phillip Wilson and “supposedly” launched in 1978.

I have a mate who owns a Beale. He is always a bit disparaging of it. I keep telling him that in 50 years it will be seen as a 1980's Logan along with Townson's Youngs etc

Did that change his disparaging view of his Beale.

One of my favourites Wilson kauri logs has been on the market for a while Quintessence.

The broker deserves a keel hauling for such a poor effort on the listing and really should sharpen his pencil.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2385946296.htm

One of my favourites Wilson kauri logs has been on the market for a while Quintessence.

The broker deserves a keel hauling for such a poor effort on the listing and really should sharpen his pencil.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2385946296.htm

you are mixing your Wilsons there, Quintessence was by Bob and Richard, Brin's sons.

First word of text is wrong. It's no embarrassment to be poor at spelling/English, but if you are, get a bloody proof reader.

And some glasses too, crikey amateur out of focus ,repeated photos with poor range selection not how one should present a Clark/Wilson beauty.

The Clark 42s are magnificent sea boats and were high standard builds. You load them up with your 6 months of cruising stores and they don't go slower. Lazy 150 through 180 mile days.

The last time I saw Quintessence she'd had a whole lot spent on paint and was in spectacular condition.

See, if you want to go cruising, and you'd like to do that safely and make prompt passages in a boat you can trust to stay together when it hits the fan, that's the boat to be in.

Many brokers need keel-hauling. Especially this one.