Searching for METRO

24 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Bless him ,   he sold his last pocket keeler because he really wanted a Tasman 20 .

Bless him alright,read his feedback on the 2 yachts he sold. Run a mile I would say.

32 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Bless him alright,read his feedback on the 2 yachts he sold. Run a mile I would say.

I’ve seen the guy in action attempting to pick up that tas 20 from our club ....it was stuck in our car park for a week , blocks under the trailer he brought with him and all sorts of jiggery pokery supporting it 

1 hour ago, wal said:

??  The guy that pulled the boat (eventually) off the beach?    I watched that schemozzle as well.  Couldn't believe what I was seeing

If it was right in the middle of after school sailing it’s the same guy/boat 

Aaand- an update. Metro [ maybe]  has turned up for sale on Trademe today. -And promptly sold! The weird thing though, is that all the photos ARE of my old boat - Metro, BUT the description doesn't match, eg the hull is quoted as glass over plywood, not double diag, and the engine hour meter quoted doesn't exist etc. Really straange!

Photo
Manukau, Auckland
Closes Sun, 18 Oct
Buy Now
$26,000
No reserve
$19,500

Photo
Hibiscus Coast, Auckland
Listed yesterday

Asking price
$36,000

Photo
Kerikeri, Northland
Closes Sun, 18 Oct

No reserve
$95,000

Photo
Auckland City, Auckland
Listed yesterday

Asking price
$1.00

On 2/01/2020 at 5:56 AM, Kevin McCready said:

Good on you for posting this. More info on the "repairer" would be good.

There's a guy I've been tracking on trademe who has multiple accounts and starts new ones when he gets found out as a crook. I've reported him to trademe but they don't care. His modus operandi is to buy old boats for peanuts, tizz them up a bit then sell them. They are still junk. He goes under different names including Jason and Rudolf.

I know that guy, not personally but I’ve seen his “work.“

He was selling Glissade about maybe 15 y ago, she looked in pretty bad shape with the ring frame that supported the deck stepped mast having collapsed and the beam shelf / sheer clamp rotten in numerous places. To his credit he admitted she needed more work than he was up to do, didn’t try to hide anything. New antifoul, though.

About 5 y later I spotted him on the Waiheke ferry and asked if he was still buying/ wanted a boat. Sold him mine in as is condition. Hull sound deck needing work - not dangerous but needing some love, and I didn’t have the time. I basically gave the boat away and he seemed pretty keen to keep her as his own. Completed the transaction and had him sign a document that he was now the owner and the boat had to be off the mooring inside two weeks. We each kept a copy. Only as he was driving away I got a funny feeling, so I took down his number plate. Boat was off the mooring a week later so I stopped worrying. 

I heard that the boat had been hauled and work had been done. Boat was then on sold to someone but was moored on a pirated mooring of Northcote where she sank sometime later after filling with rainwater due to blocked cockpit scuppers (my guess).

I couldn’t rightly comment on his motives, and I don’t think I need to.

17 hours ago, alibaba said:

Aaand- an update. Metro [ maybe]  has turned up for sale on Trademe today. -And promptly sold! The weird thing though, is that all the photos ARE of my old boat - Metro, BUT the description doesn't match, eg the hull is quoted as glass over plywood, not double diag, and the engine hour meter quoted doesn't exist etc. Really straange!

Photo
Manukau, Auckland
Closes Sun, 18 Oct
Buy Now
$26,000
No reserve
$19,500

Photo
Hibiscus Coast, Auckland
Listed yesterday

Asking price
$36,000

Photo
Kerikeri, Northland
Closes Sun, 18 Oct

No reserve
$95,000

Photo
Auckland City, Auckland
Listed yesterday

Asking price
$1.00

My take by looking at some the photos and deciphering the description is that Rudolphshack managed to offload a damaged boat to someone who knows little about boats and less about yachts . And the seller is kinda right that some of it has been fibregrassed ! 

That's fine, and I agree, buying any boat without some sort of survey is a no-no, and I have certainly worn some of my own mistakes.

However, in this case, the boat was badly damaged and then presented as repaired. Since the damage was a severe hull delamination from both the keelson and the stringers over a substantial area, I have my concerns about keel safety, particularly when the damage on the port side under the built-in furniture was not repaired at the time.