Anyone know this fish stealing tosser?

Anchored in Kiwiriki with friends aboard.  Idly watching this a%#ehole fishing away in about 10 m, stray lining.  He hooks up and pulls out about 15cm snap, throws it in the bin.  I couldn't believe it so I told my mate and we both watched him do it again and again.  He could see us watching so he started to retrieve from inside the covered cockpit when the boat was hanging away from us.  He was at it for about 4-5 hours.

Before you ask why I didn't say something at the time - wifey wouldn't let me go thermonuclear at him in front of our friends.

The boat is a Vindex 375 called Affinity.  Couldn't see a port.

I can't understand why you would bother even catching these fish, there is no meat on them anyway, even if you are enough of a tosser to ignore catch limits and quotas.

If anyone knows him, a gentle reminder would be in order.

Fish stealing fucker.jpg

• Upvote 3

Been having a discussion fish mounting,sure a 15lber looks nice on the wall of fame,but what a waste of meat. Argument

was I caught it I can do what I like with it,fair enough.

Back to topic,speak up,may not no the rules(cough cough) but 0800 poacher is a start. Approaching someone Hmm could take a chance but is the verbal warranted to ruin your day??

a week ago watched a charter operator releasing clients fish,disgusted and spoke up and got told to Foff and mind my own business.

grab fish rip hook out throw back,all under size,mania mussel farm ,mean while nephew I and didnt need to measure. 3 each was more than enough. average 6lb snapper. Starting to feed as spawn is over.

• Upvote 1

gee a downvote, awesome. lots to talk about here the first is taking undersize fish. Not legal so if someone is doing it then it they should be held to account if possible there and then, however posting grainy pictures with an accusation in a public place is bordering on libel.

I wouldn't do it unless I was prepared to stand up in court and I would be very unhappy if my picture was posted on somewhere with someone accusing me of doing something without the right of reply. 

Back to the fish thing, many times I have been fishing and started catching only to find greed for catching more begins to kick in. It takes a lot of self control to take only what you need. This undersize fisherman may be taking potential big fish but I have probably done a lot  more damage legally. Many times I have caught my limit, and there is a massive difference between a bin of 320's (which I dont take btw) and a bin of 600's. Last year I caught an 850 at Barrier, I was so excited that I forgot all about the significance of the big breeders etc I should have returned it. Over the years my fishing has evolved into one or two at most keepers, not a bin full.

I appreciate that people may not want to confront someone but the appropriate way to deal with it is to tell a fisheries officer. 

Big fish 15lb+ may not be the breeder we think as they are territorial and lazy.Dont move far from there habitat. The thinking now is snapper in 290/320 range maybe more prolific at breeding than first thought.

https://niwa.co.nz/fisheries/ecosystem-influences-on-snapper/life-cycle

• Upvote 1

Mate ...its only libel when it's not true and didn't happen. What you propose ,i.e.defending what you don't know, is how this crap gets perpetrated. Yeah,I know the fish weren't measured ,etc.etc. but I've seen the same caryy on by people who don't give a rats. And in that same bay over the years. Kudos to the poster. This is how they can be stopped. They would deny deny deny of course but may not do it again --- well done that man

• Upvote 3

We don’t fish as it is against our religion.

We belong to a Squeamish sect that only allows the purchase and consumption of fish that is born dead and filleted usually available at the local supermarket.

Re the torture factor, we never quite got the tow it around foul hooked in the eye and then deposit it still alive in the chilly bin to collectively gasp until dead along with other members of it’s whanau.

The Squeamish strongly believe in the maxim do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Report was made to MPI.

Mate - I wasn't asking for any advice and I can tell right from wrong.  I can also estimate the size of a 15cm snapper from 50m using binoculars, just to clear that up.  Perhaps some reading around libel laws would be instructive for you as well.

Kevin - feel free to deal with a similar situation however you judge to be the best way.  I'll do the same and refrain from criticising your methods as I definitely won't be near enough to you to witness it.

To me it is theft to be taking these fish.  It is against the law and that is not an opinion.

• Upvote 7

Fishing is torture? Not going down that rabbit hole, I think its commendable that serious sportfishers catch and release although I am not sure of the survival rate. 

The best thing you can do to protect the fisheries is not be part of the problem; do you really need that next fish, shall I keep that borderline one, lets not chuck that overboard, lets pick up that floating plastic bag.... 

without going in to a huge debate ,commercial v recreational. You do realise that snapper in sna1 for commercial their size limit is 250mm because of their trawl net mesh wish does not allow smaller to escape,anything under that size when hauled is dead and must be dumped,waste,hence why reccs in sna1 are 300mm to help rebuild stock as current biomass is around 19%. Longlining is best pratice as fish generally able to be released alive.There is a guy in Hawkes Bay who has modified his gear and can release everything alive.So not all comms are bad. 

Auckland Fishery officers are seeking the public’s help following reports of a large number of dead snapper seen floating in the Hauraki Gulf.

On Saturday 18 January 2020 at 2pm, MPI received information about approximately 100 dead snapper found floating in the area North of Waiheke Island. Fishery officers would like to speak with anyone who saw the dead fish around this time.

At this point we are in very early stages of our enquiries and are appealing to the public to report any activity that could have contributed to the dead snapper.

We are very thankful to members of the public for contacting MPI and we urge anyone who with information about this incident or any other suspicious fishing activity to call our 0800 4 POACHER line (0800 47 62 24) or email ncc@mpi.govt.nz to report it.

Yes I agree you’ve got to have a brave disposition to tackle anyone these days. A frw months back a friend of mine challenged a family who had set up an open fire & bbq on one of the banned Hauraki gulf islands (almost right next to the No Fires sign). Their response came in 2 parts.... part 1 was both the parents verbally abiding him happily swearing like troopers in front of their young kids (what an example). Part 2 was a few hours later when he was anchored in a bay on his own a few miles away - he was given below when he saw the same family approach his boat in their launch and then fire a traditional starting cannon at his boat from their stern platform. Even better example for the kids. He reported both incidents to DOC and Police. The offending launch is berthed at GH Marina.

I'm sure you can get a feed in Fitzroy,  always found it hard work myself but why bother when just outside the entrance are the mussel farms. OMG 2 weeks back 1 hr aft sunrise on pilchards, flasher rig  Bang, Bang, Bang, all big fish. We stopped at 3 each took maybe 20 minutes.  

Use common sense no one is going to appreciate a nosy do gooder telling them their fish are small or they have a fire. Especially in front of their mates or family. Online moral grandstanding showing the world how virtuous your are is also a waste of time, call the agencies who can do something. I can assure you that someone who is knowingly breaking the law and has some respect for it will change behaviour if you are making it obvious that you will report them. The others, they are on the crim side of the scale and dont care.

But what about doing the right thing?

We all know the best way to effect change in bad behaviour (from fishing habits to drinking & driving to smoking etc) is not via calling ‘the agencies’ but by the bravery of peer pressure.

Your attitude belongs with the dinosaurs.

• Upvote 3

And more fish being stolen from the public,at least MPI are doing something about it,but what will the courts decide??

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/01/boats-and-cash-seized-after-mpi-investigation-into-alleged-illegal-fishing-ring.html?fbclid=IwAR2EQaIi8gb_zhSg8UyTNGkY7GjlBimFb7xwMo7BGwtQer8lhnzMo8mcyjw

A group of commercial fishers in the Thames region are being accused of under-reporting catches and illegally selling snapper to an Auckland fish supply business.

The allegations come after an investigation by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

Eight people face prosecution after fishery officers searched five locations - including three residential properties across Auckland and Waikato - in December, according to MPI. 

Six commercial fishing vessels, a refrigerated truck and $25,000 in cash were seized during the searches.

I'm a dino alright, but common sense means its probably best not to approach drunks who could get violent and usually people react badly if they feel they're being scolded by a self righteous knob. Being polite goes a long way to getting the message across and if people cant deal with it on that level then getting abusive or rude will not work.

In the example I gave, my friend was very polite when he pointed out they were in a fire ban area. It was reaction of the wrong-doers themselves that was unexpectedly aggressive (swearing & shouting and later firing a cannon at him). It’s not like he was challenging a large group of drunk kids on a Saturday night - it was a ‘normal’ looking 2+2 family. Hence the point about unpredictable reactions. Sadly.

• Upvote 1