Hauraki Gulf Forum

1pm Monday 17 February 2020 

Albany Community Hub,

Fruit Growers Room,

575A Albany Highway

Albany

Find out more; Phone 09 301 0101

or visit aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

I don't understand why there aren't 20, 30, 40, or 50 Goat Island type reserves in the Gulf.  They would just take up a small fraction of the Gulf area and would surely make at least a small difference.

I was up at Kawau for the weekend and saw several instances of people fishing, catching only small ones and throwing them back in.  Do those small ones actually survive?

I’ve stopped fishing. To get fair my track record doesn’t exactly make me a big environmental threat but I’ve decided to give it a rest and use the time to swim or read instead.

• Upvote 1

Sad Article. 

I'd support a total no take zone for the entire gulf, for say 5 years, then restricted recreational only, IF it has recovered noticeably. I know that would be very unpopular, but IMO its that now, or that forever in 5 years or so....

• Upvote 1

Good luck on that , you only have to mention the word Reserve and you will hear the screams of entitled anguish from one end of the gulf to the other.

I don't understand why there aren't 20, 30, 40, or 50 Goat Island type reserves in the Gulf.  They would just take up a small fraction of the Gulf area and would surely make at least a small difference.

I was up at Kawau for the weekend and saw several instances of people fishing, catching only small ones and throwing them back in.  Do those small ones actually survive?

It’s worth being vocal. Popular social change never happens without it.

Consider the water quality/farms position.

A few years ago there was a bit a noise around the issue and then a surge of farm-hate type editorial all over the media. It’s not that long ago and now we have Fonterra itself promoting clean waterways. I’m not saying it’s perfect but it amazed me how quickly it moved from being only the green fringe making a bit of a dance to being mainstream.

The same can happen with the gulf.

Go on. Make a noise. Protest and petitions work if you’re persistent.

Reserves don't work it is a feel for thing.look at leigh.fish are moving out no food.they leave to spawn.Ban trawling swinging.who destroyed the kahawai schools for pet food?? Still going on.trawl net with its diamond mesh fish cannot escape as net tightens it goes like rope.no gaps.any small undersize are squashed and discarded longline only.good chance fish survive due to line not being done to long

Reserves don't work it is a feel for thing.look at leigh.fish are moving out no food.they leave to spawn.Ban trawling swinging.who destroyed the kahawai schools for pet food?? Still going on.trawl net with its diamond mesh fish cannot escape as net tightens it goes like rope.no gaps.any small undersize are squashed and discarded longline only.good chance fish survive due to line not being done to long

Actually it was worse with the Kahawai, they were sold to Australia to use as bait for the cray fishing industry!