The Coastal Classic weather thread

tuffyluffy

the predictwind model sees G3 finishing at 1408, holy crap batman, 4 hours and 10 minutes, in only 17 to 22 knots of wind.

Even if its close to that it will just be so awesome !

i would think even g3 would have difficulty going that much faster than the wind, that far off the wind. but i suppose predictwind's model might be better than my random guessing...

As the finish team will be setting up at 14:00hrs this means they will have plenty of time to settle before the TVS turns up.

Then a big wait for the gap to close.

i would think even g3 would have difficulty going that much faster than the wind, that far off the wind. but i suppose predictwind's model might be better than my random guessing...

30 knots in 15 knots of true....power up and bring it on down! :D

the predictwind model sees G3 finishing at 1408, holy crap batman, 4 hours and 10 minutes, in only 17 to 22 knots of wind.

Even if its close to that it will just be so awesome !

I haven't looked at PredictWind yet...

Has Jon put he corners in?

Latest happy-happy, joy-joy weather prediction from the Herald can be guaranteed to send a shiver of fear through the yachting population:

Labour weekend sunny, dry and calm

Holidaymakers can expect lovely weather across the country this Labour weekend

:thumbdown: :problem:

Can some one help me with understanding how a boat can get to Russell in 4 hrs and 10n minutes . Which bit of this is wrong.

The wind is Southwest

The race is 125 N Miles

You have to tack in the last 25 miles which is directly on the nose in a SW and assuming a 90 degree tacking angle = 35.7 miles

Given you beat at 20 knots upwind (at max), this gives a time for the beat of 1.78 hrs or 1 hour 47 minutes.

This leaves 2 hours 23 minutes for the 100 miles to the Brett.

Therefore an average speed of 42 knots.

Is this possible or is Wolfie and the model having us on?????

Can some one help me with understanding how a boat can get to Russell in 4 hrs and 10n minutes . Which bit of this is wrong.?

1408hrs is 6hours 8 min

but still unbelievably fast

Can some one help me with understanding how a boat can get to Russell in 4 hrs and 10n minutes . Which bit of this is wrong.?

1408hrs is 6hours 8 min

but still unbelievably fast

Errr, no.

Race starts at 1000hrs right? So 1408hrs is 4hrs and 8 mins later.

I ran a few sets of polars and got some interesting results too. Without the waypoints in Expedition it also suggested that we cut across the Whangaparoa peninsula.

You turkeys probably know this, but in case someone finds this helpful I'll mention it. If you find routes across land an issue and don't want it to happen you can tick avoid c-map land in the settings and/or set up an exclusion zone in the area where the routes are crossing the land. Also in the waypoint set up you can set a route using waypoints where you say 'leave to port/starboard' instead of sail to mark. That way the route stays inside the boundaries of the waypoints and doesn't simply track the rhumb line between marks.

According to the routing the Davidson 42 is predicted to take about 14h 36m, the big boat I sailed on here in Australia would have taken 11h 26m and funnily enough the polars suggest a T30 will take 13h 29m - which would mean it would smash it on handicap.

Of course this is all hypothetical but the computer models back-up my suspicion that the smaller lighter boats will do well in this race.

Can some one help me with understanding how a boat can get to Russell in 4 hrs and 10n minutes . Which bit of this is wrong.

The wind is Southwest

The race is 125 N Miles

You have to tack in the last 25 miles which is directly on the nose in a SW and assuming a 90 degree tacking angle = 35.7 miles

Given you beat at 20 knots upwind (at max), this gives a time for the beat of 1.78 hrs or 1 hour 47 minutes.

This leaves 2 hours 23 minutes for the 100 miles to the Brett.

Therefore an average speed of 42 knots.

Is this possible or is Wolfie and the model having us on?????

In the model G3 will see 60 degrees true from Brett to Tapeka which is a lay through on port meaning breeze direction prediction at that stage has way more south in it than Southwest.

On the model distance sailed ic close to 121 nm, i.e. it predicts dead straight is the fastest way for G3 to go.

the model now has a finish time of 1430 hours.

BTW we put in rough polars for Taeping and you will be there by 1830 !

I see the forecast is to swing around to the south, TVS will be running some massive angles........

Looking at it I think a small boat race, something that can carry a pole or rotating prod (on H/C)

Just my 2 cents...... :sailor:

Archived