Best 40' yacht...

3 hours ago, Island Time said:

Just because I'm bored, and recalled this thread, I measured the headroom. 6 ft 3 in saloon, (1.915m) about  6ft 1 in fwd head and cabin. 1988 Farr Phase 4.....

Bunks are all 2m long.

On a boat 11.97 m on deck,  12.8m overall.

Inches matter when your 6'4". 2M bunk length is great .

On 22/03/2020 at 8:28 PM, Sailing NZ said:

Thanks guys/girls, problem with searching TM is they don't give head room and don't have the collective knowledge of a forum full of sailing experience.

I Like the Farr 1220 but head room?

Catalina have good HR but?

Anybody here own any of the French/ Euro builds?

...I want a tough/reliable, easily driven, comfortable, low Maintenance 40'r. Gotta be f/glass.

Less than 20yo would be nice.

Just hit me with your ideas. There are no bad ideas. ..I am Keen to nut this out.

Ross 40?

Are Benny's better than Jenny's, better than Bavarias, than Hanse's....

How do we know?

You want a "low maintenance boat" Let me know when you find one of those :-)

When hunting for an offshore cruising boat we were advised to put speed and comfort in the proper perspective since we would spend way more time at anchor than passage making. 

In the market place we were constrained by budget so newer models were out of reach and we wanted to avoid "Project Boats". The trick then was to find a tried and true design with no deferred maintenance  and up to date equipment, we found something in the end, not perfect but it has worked out. 

Good Luck !

1 hour ago, Frank said:

You want a "low maintenance boat" Let me know when you find one of those :-)

High maintenance - timber, Carvel, old, ,

Low Maintenance - fibreglass, epoxy, vinyl ester, new, 

No maintenance - a boat parked up / abandoned and left to deteriorate with the owner never doing one bit of maintenance.

Old.  Wood.  Carvel Planked.  (1 1/4" NZ Kauri)  High Maintenance.  Thats my boat. 60 years old.

17 years into my ownership of her and never touched the hull, for any repair or maintenance that I can recall, mind you I am old too (70.s) and may be suffering from some memory loss.  The timber hull, with no fancy glue just the plank seams calked in cotton allowing her natural sea water environment to keep her tight and dry.  The way boats were meant to be built dry, warm and smelling sweet.

I have never once had to dry out a cored deck, repair blisters on the hull, endure expensive osmosis treatment, install a dehumidifier to ward off condensation, etc, etc,

Old Carvel planked boats are once again being unfairly maligned.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Sailing NZ said:

High maintenance - timber, Carvel, old, ,

Don't agree

Owned a 50 year old timber edge butt and glued no glass sloop for 20 years with no problems at all your hysterical claim that timber = higher maintenance over yoghurt pots does not ring true in the real world.

As Sparky quite rightly says built well warm and dry smells as fresh as a field of wild flowers.

Dont get me wrong I've built and owned timber boats of all makes in the past.

I just want about with space head room, easily sailed, and onky requires a annual AF, wax, buff, basic service...

Been watching a Elliot tourer twin forestay fast cruiser in the bay with much admiration. Got up to take a photo yesterday and it's gone.

The big Dickson boat is nice but wrong internal and cockpit set up.

Joke for the day...

6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy. 😁

4 hours ago, Sailing NZ said:

Dont get me wrong I've built and owned timber boats of all makes in the past.

I just want about with space head room, easily sailed, and onky requires a annual AF, wax, buff, basic service...

Been watching a Elliot tourer twin forestay fast cruiser in the bay with much admiration. Got up to take a photo yesterday and it's gone.

The big Dickson boat is nice but wrong internal and cockpit set up.

Joke for the day...

6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy. 😁

In which case you will be wanting a brand new boat then.

Every boat needs maintenance doesn't matter what it's made of in my experience, Steel rusts, Aluminium corrodes and paint flakes, Fibreglass  gets cracks, dings, dents, chips and the pox, wood can rot or delam. 

Cold moulded boats seem to be pretty resilient.

The hull is the lowest maintenance part anyway, there's engines, electrics, instruments, rigging, sails, sheets, safety gear, squabs, Galley, Heads and plumbing, other systems.

Unless you buy into something like Yachtshare (which sounds like where you should be looking), buy and sell a new boat every couple of years or pay a caretaker you will have maintenance - Saltwater is inherently evil stuff and something that lives in it and moves about in it is going to breakdown. Simple as that.

Fixing boats can be therapeutic - embrace it if you want to own a boat!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Much of the maintenance is due to the complexity or otherwise of systems. If you can be satisfied with simplicity there will be a lot less stuff to look after and fix. Add shallow draught beach ability copper coat  Antifoul outboard motors solar panels and a free standing rig and you have pretty low maintenance. Won’t suit most people though. 

I've got a 2005 Beneteau First 40.7 I reckon would meet your criteria. It's been to Fiji twice, my wife and I sail it easily, not sure about 6'4" headroom but 6'2" son wanders around inside no trouble. If you are in Tauranga and interested in having a look to see what one looks like you are welcome to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spoke to Scot the other day, he’s keen to do a deal, has two buyers looking that are keen

Don’t think it will be on the market long so if it’s what your looking for I would wait around

Good boats like this don’t stay on the market long

5 minutes ago, chariot said:

Would he be interested in taking a Lotus 9.2 as a trade. Bugger, i'm still short of a few bucks.

Add in our Farr 1020, GBE and Hobie 16, I think we'd be still well short. .. still need Lotto, or sell a few of my kids, hmmmmmm