Corona virus statistics and reality

18 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

But we cannot go on being isolated until the rest of the world is safe.  Its just not a realistic proposal.

This here is the nub of the issue. This hasn't been discussed, and I think we (NZ) should have a grown up conversation about it. I think we can keep the borders shut and use MIQ until the rest of the world has it under control. I would be very happy if we did that.

Vaccines have a place for front line workers. But currently (touch wood) there is no virus in NZ. For the vaccines to be of any economic benefit, we need to let the virus in. Given it is currently eliminated, is that a good move. Different story if we were the UK, but we aren't...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s a chance for horse face to put her ugly mug on tv every day now and the sheeple will Lao it up , perfect for re electing this clueless under performing team for the finishing touches on screwing

I have read some very strange things about covid.  So first, yes it's real. And yes if you read reputable medical information you will probably be closer to the truth than a lot of other sources.

I think some are allowing their irrational dislike of Jacinda to leak into irrational thought processes regarding the handling of the pandemic.   As I understand,  get R below one. Cautiously ope

Posted Images

what I cannot understand is that the majority of  quarantine facilities are still in the middle of Auckland city, just defies belief. The workers there are mixing with the general public every day when they travel to/from work

Why isn't the likes of the army base at Whangaparoa (which was the original quarantine location) or similar being used? It was suggested a while back to use a portion of the Waiouru barracks - certainly remote and its location might discourage a few dual/multiple passport holders from "country shopping".

4 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

what I cannot understand is that the majority of  quarantine facilities are still in the middle of Auckland city, just defies belief...  Why isn't the likes of the army base at Whangaparoa (which was the original quarantine location) or similar being used? It was suggested a while back to use a portion of the Waiouru barracks....

The MIQ needs to be near to tertiary-level hospital facilities in case an outbreak occurs in the facility and significant medical treatment is required.  Waiouru is obviously out, as are most other locations outside the main cities.

Additionally, how do you propose staffing these facilities?  There just is not the population base to provide the  in remote locations.

There is no reasonable economic or health argument for remote MIQ when you look at all of the factors.

5 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

The MIQ needs to be near to tertiary-level hospital facilities in case an outbreak occurs in the facility and significant medical treatment is required.  Waiouru is obviously out, as are most other locations outside the main cities.

Additionally, how do you propose staffing these facilities?  There just is not the population base to provide the  in remote locations.

There is no reasonable economic or health argument for remote MIQ when you look at all of the factors.

The fiasco that occurred in Melbourne highlights why isolation facilities should be just that, isolated.

Set up medical facilities at the isolation locations, we do it all the time at very remote contruction sites round the world. You have a skeleton support team and back up teams on call for mobilisation if needed.

25 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

what I cannot understand is that the majority of  quarantine facilities are still in the middle of Auckland city, just defies belief. The workers there are mixing with the general public every day when they travel to/from work

Why isn't the likes of the army base at Whangaparoa (which was the original quarantine location) or similar being used? It was suggested a while back to use a portion of the Waiouru barracks - certainly remote and its location might discourage a few dual/multiple passport holders from "country shopping".

Some are housed at Jet Park Hamilton airport and how do they get there??they are bused so as to keep any infection in one place.The difference between our MIQ and Australias MIQ is the in Aussie you do leave the room.There is a guard at each room.Here we let them go to a common room for exercise.Proberly lucky we have had only this one case in the community.

22 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

Set up medical facilities at the isolation locations, we do it all the time at very remote contruction sites round the world. You have a skeleton support team and back up teams on call for mobilisation if needed.

You just quadrupled the cost of MIQ.  OK, thats a guess, but you get the drift.

I think some are allowing their irrational dislike of Jacinda to leak into irrational thought processes regarding the handling of the pandemic.  

As I understand,  get R below one. Cautiously open borders. Any new infections die out due to lack of available hosts. Death rate drops to statistical insignificance.  Job done.