Multiple accounts

Firstly,  I've put this in marine talk so everyone can see it.

As most of you know, multiple accounts are not permitted, except in specific circumstances, like a work and personal account. 

This is due to the issues with sock puppet accounts and trolling in the past.

The way we can identify dual accounts is not completely bulletproof. Mostly,  it's by ip addresses, and now, in this version, also by device mac address.

So, I currently have the situation where two accounts are used from the same device, and the initial member assures me that it's two separate users.

The issue I have, is that other than the nature of the posts, I have no way to verify this. I've had these assurances before, and they have been proven false.

I've been thinking about this for a while. My preference is not to allow this. Most people have their own devices, right? What do you all think? Is it fair to say one account per device?

With some people they have one data account with the network and hub another phone of the phone with data  account.

In my case we have one two degrees account and one phone for me and one for my partner who hubs via my phone and data account.

Thus two accounts on one phone.

So maybe it should be one account per person per email identity... And watch for trolling?

• Downvote 1
9 hours ago, 44forty said:

It’s a big problem on sailing anarchy and ahhh it’s mostly Australians 😂 sorry rushman 

You must pay more attention than I do.. I only look at the pictures

14 hours ago, Black Panther said:

My (latina) wife laughed out loud at that.

I'm tellin' ya I've got a million of them !  or para tu esposa . . 

Te digo que tnego un millon de ellas !

With apologies to James Durante - long ago humor. 

3 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

What's to prevent u if u get a ban and u use your partners pH and display name and continue posting whilst banned. Nothing. 

Matt that should not be allowed and prevented. They are partners and responsible to each other. If one is banned then both are banned. That should act as a more responsible attitude in posting in such situations as each could discipline each other's posts.

What are you not smoking rehab.

I think someone with half a brain would pick up the obvious nuances of one person's posts no matter how many account s.

I'm just pointing out a flaw and how people use data via devices. 

I'm happy with the rule.

2 hours ago, Sabre said:

No worries.. its just that you are vert vocal for someone new and your posting style seems very familiar. I apologise for any offence :)

Same could be said for you. No offence.

I don't tip toe around anybody or anything. And I didn't see any rules that said i had to be treated as a week and feeble person before I rose to the ranks of being accepted by forum members who believe they are the forum moderators and can be rude to people on the pretence that they think they are someone else.

This thread has run its useful life. Several posts are verging on personal attacks. Because I can't be bothered issuing warnings etc, this thread is now locked. Move on.

• Like 1