Boating now heavily restricted

A coping strategy...

Am

What shall we do with a locked-down sailor?

G

Am

C     G      Am

Early in the morning

[Ch]

Way-hey and up she rises…

Bleat about the lockdown till it’s over…

Stare at the water and curse Jacinda…

Sneak down the inlet before it’s daylight..

Drink all the rum (there’ll be none for sailing)…

• Upvote 1

Cindy also said that everybody who has a job is in an essential service.  So everyone working can go anywhere.  She said it, Im sticking to it.

I still think not allowing boating is crazy.  The hospitals are not full, quite the opposite, the coast guard are not busy (wonder why) the marine Police are doing nothing, the harbourmaster, nothing (nothing new there).

8 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Hmmm..... According to ACC claims history cycling has already generated over 20,500 claims year to date, this 2019/20 year that is. Bikes come in at No4 of the recreational activity/sporting Top 20 list.

The Exercise the Govt has been pushing comes in at No2 with over 31,500 claims.

Jogging, another Govt encouraged activity is No7 with 9000 claims.

The closest thing to anything boat or marine related in the Top 20 would be Snowboarding which comes in at No20.  Snowboards look like wakeboards is the theory there.

There is the category 'Other' on the bottom that picks up all the rest, which I'm assuming is where sailing sits. The total for 'Other', 69K, is over 14,000 less than the total of top 3 activities combined. The top 3 being Rugby, Soccer and Fitness Training/Gym

That's a false comparison and therefore false conclusion; heaps more people bike, walk or ran than sail.

I'd be happier if everyone chilled and stopped thinking of ways to get around the rules.

• Upvote 4

Basically sailing is so wide and generic, like boating.  The general idea is water is dangerous so therefore ban it.  Surfing was banned which is crazy and probably now back on as the backlash was strong.  You don't hear of many surfers getting in the sh*t.  

I assume that when we go to Level 3, the marina's will at least allow access?  Generally I find boating is more dangerous in the marina than out in the ocean, wiring and gas projects, drinking, falling into the water etc etc :-).   

I don't think many people are 'chilling' right now Kevin unless of course you have a cushy government position living off the tax payer tit.  If you own a business or employ people or have a bank breathing down your neck the 'chill' rate will be fairly low. 

Any activity that allows one to revitalise one's perspective on life is important and you can't claim that running, surfing or biking are more important than sailing.  The unseen factors here that no one will care about will be the depression, suicide and divorce rates in 8 weeks time when we get back to the new normal.  Maybe at least it will give Herald and Stuff something other than Covid 19 and Trump to report about.  

I'm all for people using common sense and get out and about on ya boats, what's the worse that can happen?  The police have no power and at best will slap you with a don't do that again. 

• Upvote 1

Well said Southern Man , the Chill factor is bullshit  , as you say , unless you are a civil servant / council worker sucking off tax payer / rate payer. 

Even the idea of rowing out to moored boat or visiting a marina bound boat and checking it’s all okay would be a great tonic right now. 

6 minutes ago, Elliot749 said:

Even the idea of rowing out to moored boat or visiting a marina bound boat and checking it’s all okay would be a great tonic right now. 

I don’t think I’ve heard anything that would preclude that? If you travel in your bubble and locally / regionally (I think max 45 mins drive was the guidance) to check on your boat on its berth or mooring, I doubt you’d get in trouble for that. If you cast off and go sailing you’re obviously in breach of L3 rules. But simply checking on your boat where it is should be ok.

8 minutes ago, Tamure said:

A bit harsh Elliot, we need council workers and civil servants, the pandemic is not their fault and I wouldn't insult a rubbish truck driver or the guys still cleaning the sewers. 

You forgot nurses and teachers.

11 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

You forgot nurses and teachers.

Yes but that's not the point BP.  Those in the public sector almost and I do mean almost have a guaranteed job.  Those in the private sector, not so.  That is a huge difference and the point I was trying to make.  I agree fully that we need public servants however it's pretty rich when the public sector are bleating about how bad they have it.  At least they have a job.  Many in the private sector don't and won't for a long time.  

As always times like this affect the small guy and the poor, the rich well not much.  I don't begrudge or belittle anyone but I'm honestly sick of hearing about all the so called 'heros' out there at the end of the day they are doing their jobs..... well done to you... you have a job and will get paid for it. 

The bite is not now, it will hit us in 2-3 months time, we will see how smart people are then. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

International air travel is very dangerous either , but passing through airports is .  Just like passing thru any place you have to for a days/weeks boating/sailing .

im a bit a pissed about the surfing being allowed but not sailing/boating or rock fishing  but I can see the logic .

i have surfed for many years with my favourite spots being remote west coast big wave locations in the Waitomo/Waikato and Auckland/northland .

never seen an experienced surfer being rescued but I have seen quite  a few fishers swept off the rocks and have had a bloated body wash past me at Bethells beach . I will say that some people take silly risks all the time. Auckland has shedloads of dangerous points a half hour drive away and plenty of people willing to fish off them even on a day like today .....so fair feckin call to ban rock fishing I reckon and sure the rocks at Kohi aren’t dangerous but is has to be blanket to deter the risk taking types .

sailing and fizz boating mirror the surfing/rock fishing scenario above with the few exceptions of experienced sailors doing stupid sh*t and sailing onto the rocks out front here or at the mokes and chicks at night time . On a normal day there will be 100-150 fizzers go out from our Local ramp at Parua bay and it’s normal to see at least 3 get towed back . Tack on those same numbers For marsden cove boat ramp and it’s getting up there . Most of the boats have multiple people from different bubbles no doubt stopping off on the way to get beer, bait, smokes , gas and generally touching common surfaces that you and I would too on the way to our boats ....so again I understand the blanket ban even though I don’t  like it .

sailing is not that dangerous .....but touching common surfaces with hundreds/thousands of other boaties on the same day is . 

And I don’t think the country could sustain another level 4 lockdown so it’s worth putting it in your pipe and smoking it for a bit 

1 hour ago, Tamure said:

I fully agree with southernman, there will be a heavy toll on people when reality bites. Quite a few of us here know people who were wiped out in 1987 and 2007 and the massive damage that was done and this may be worse. 

I'm certain that this will be much worse. Puff what's your take on the economic impact & knock on? Feels more like depression to me than a little old recession.

I can't really comment about it in this forum topic but let's just say you're right. But a divisive depression. good, neutral, disastrous depending where you are and what you do. If you rely on international travel and high spending tourists then you're in big trouble. Domestic tourism will be okay. Your $100 night motel in the coromandel/Hawkes Bay will love it catering for people that don't want to get away but don't want to get on an aluminium tube with 200 others. Your $500 a night suite in Queenstown will tank along with Hobbiton, jet boat rides, heli skiing, film industry (sorry)

Plenty of building to get done with Kiwis coming home and people wanting to live here because it's safer. A drop in house prices and rents but that will recover in the cities and retirement destinations

The unknown is the unemployment figures and that will depend on how quickly the government can throw money into infrastructure. But a laid off pilot isn't going to be driving a grader in a hurry.

Farming is good, the world needs the stuff we grow, however expect some price pressure as there's aren't many buyers with cash

Domestic boating will be okay, the boats aren't going anywhere. They might only be worth half what they once were. But you can't say half the boats in NZ will be sold, they may be but unless they are sent to the tip or scuttled at the noises then they are still going to occupy marinas. New imports may suffer for a while

31 minutes ago, darkside said:

To any laid off pilots I have a new grader in my yard if you want to have a crack.

Looking forward to the announcements of the successful "shovel ready" infrastructure projects.

Pilots would be a good fit for a modern grader they are pretty high tech . The pay is a little different I suspect 

5 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Pilots would be a good fit for a modern grader they are pretty high tech . The pay is a little different I suspect 

They willn't be worried about flying with 300 passengers but will have the pressure of driving the grader around millions of red cones.😉

1 hour ago, darkside said:

To any laid off pilots I have a new grader in my yard if you want to have a crack.

Looking forward to the announcements of the successful "shovel ready" infrastructure projects.

Jokes aside, I am going to renew my heavy trade licence as soon as a testing station and the Dr's are open. Let it lapse some time ago, but feel having a plan B for employment is worth the minor cost and time of the licence testing process.

Yes I'm in private sector and am currently in 'consultation' about company wide pay cuts. i.e. its a foregone conclusion, but 95% of anyone will happilly bend over and take whats given just to keep a job and some income over the next 6-12 months, if not longer.

On the boating aspect, I can understand everyones frustration about not being able to get out on the water. But look at it with some perspective. Criticizing beuracrates is not helpful. What would you do if you were calling the shots? What would your objectives be? I'd say balance economy and impact of virus - going boating isn't central to either the economy, health or managing the virus...

If there is a need to stay tightly restricted for longer, i.e. at Level 4, that would not be economically sustainable even medium term (as in 4 - 8 weeks). Level 3 looks like a longer lock down, but let parts of the economy get going where practical. There is clear economic benefits to eradicating this virus and getting back to near normal quickly. If we keep on getting resurgent outbreaks over the next 12 to 24 months, the economy will suffer more, biggly. Yes it is hurting now, but there is a net benefit in taking our medicine hard and early. Half measures, like in the US, are a no-mans-land. Everyone looses, businesses / economy and social costs / deaths.

Ask yourself this, would you prefer to go sailing in May and June, or would you prefer to keep your job, be able to pay for your groceries, and not have the bank sell your house while you are living in it? There is a direct relationship between spread of the virus and the impact on the economy, whether by lockdowns, or just by everyone getting sick and not physically being able to work. I think not going sailing in May and June is a very minor sacrifice for some potentially big gain.

If we eradicate this thing, NZ will be the Switzerland of the South Pacific, a wealthy and desirable place to live. But it only takes 1 of you to not tow the line, and 400 of us will have it in one months time. Learn to understand exponential growth FFS.

• Upvote 5

Fish, How long ago did you let your licence lapse??? Depending on time frame its not just Med cert and a driving test,and your away rules have changed, What class did you have. I think more than 5yrs its a restart.

3 hours ago, Puff said:

I can't really comment about it in this forum topic but let's just say you're right. But a divisive depression. good, neutral, disastrous depending where you are and what you do. If you rely on international travel and high spending tourists then you're in big trouble. Domestic tourism will be okay. Your $100 night motel in the coromandel/Hawkes Bay will love it catering for people that don't want to get away but don't want to get on an aluminium tube with 200 others. Your $500 a night suite in Queenstown will tank along with Hobbiton, jet boat rides, heli skiing, film industry (sorry)

Plenty of building to get done with Kiwis coming home and people wanting to live here because it's safer. A drop in house prices and rents but that will recover in the cities and retirement destinations

The unknown is the unemployment figures and that will depend on how quickly the government can throw money into infrastructure. But a laid off pilot isn't going to be driving a grader in a hurry.

Farming is good, the world needs the stuff we grow, however expect some price pressure as there's aren't many buyers with cash

Domestic boating will be okay, the boats aren't going anywhere. They might only be worth half what they once were. But you can't say half the boats in NZ will be sold, they may be but unless they are sent to the tip or scuttled at the noises then they are still going to occupy marinas. New imports may suffer for a while

Yep film industry down 100%, for at least 3 months & probably 6. Island cruising anyone?