Jump to content

Boating now heavily restricted


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BOIGuy said:

A vaccine like what everyone wants is pretty much hypothetical, safe with high effectiveness, rarely happened before why should this be any different?

Current Flu vaccines barely register as effective, certainly not enough to let loose a deadly virus on, and there have been a number of safety issues along the way.

Other recent vaccine experiments have had some questionable results, HPV, SARS.

I would like to see a bit more narrative on treatments as an effective measure too in the absence off a miracle vaccine. There are a number of drugs that seem to help people get through the illness, I think this is realistically going to have to be an acceptable way forward to opening borders. And going Boating 😀

These sort of viruses tend to mutate to become less deadly, it helps their own survival. Just another flu may not be far off the mark in the long run ( definitely not yet, don't take this the wrong way)

Fixed it, for Aleanas benefit

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree the govt has form for changing its mind on a whim, but in this context I don't have a problem with it. They are having to make decisions with massive ramifications very quickly and on limited fa

The higher the alert levels, the less rights you have. This is not some form of sinister Gvt control of the People however. It is about keeping the Public safe in a time of crises. You yourself might

Your comment is out of line and I've reported it. We don't need racism in NZ, or anywhere. #givenothingtoracism

Posted Images

It's not surprising that special time hasn't been spent writing fine-grained rules about  leisure boating that make everybody happy.  This is a massive global crisis and it was urgent, and broad brushstrokes on a luxury pastime is no surprise.  

ScottieE, I'm not sure your science and economics are sound.  If we eliminate we will be visiting rest homes sooner than if we wait for herd immunity and antibody testing protocols etc etc, especially if we pace herd immunity at a speed where ICUs aren't overrun (don't understand where you got your 0.1% mortality rate - the global numbers show that to be way wrong). 

Hindsight is great, but Sweden is still an experiment, and if our govt had tried it they would have been ripped apart like Boris J was when he (briefly) announced a herd immunity strategy.  Also not sure why you think NZ's economy is so harmed by elimination compared to alternatives, nor why you single out just the PM as a "twit" on these points.  In the days leading up to the lockdown there was heavy industry lobbying for a lockdown.  Major industry and exporters wanted it.  This is partly why the opposition agreed with it.  Tourism and flights were collapsing whatever we did and the key was to minimise health and economic carnage elsewhere.  The travelling barriers with elimination are small beer compared to the peril of having a long, slow pandemic spread through the community with business after business shut down again and again.   Nail it quickly and NZ has a major competitive advantage.  Hindsight or medical study will inform things for sure, but this strategy is what industry and scientists were telling the government to do loud and clear.  The opposition agreed and their criticism has been on detail of implementation, not the overall plan.  Most international commentators praise it.  Either all of them are twits, or none, but not just the (female) politician you don't like.

We were going to have a recession the moment this blew up in the major economies.  We may yet choose to take a different approach over time (you can go from lockdown to Sweden's approach but not vice versa).  But I don't think there were any loud political or industry voices saying it was stupid to lock down, quite the opposite.  As for mocking it as being "kind", we did what China did (locking down Wuhan) and the Chinese government will have been focused on the economy.  Twits also?  

Back to boating, here is a prediction: absent a vaccine, Americans will find global cruising miserable for a long time now because their approach has been terrible.  Wouldn't surprise me if they (and others) face serious barriers to visiting smaller island states that can eliminate.  We may just have the chance of cruising up to the islands like the old days.

Edited by Wayne-o
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wayne-o said:

It's not surprising that special time hasn't been spent writing fine-grained rules about  leisure boating that make everybody happy.  This is a massive global crisis and it was urgent, and broad brushstrokes on a luxury pastime is no surprise.  

ScottieE, I'm not sure your science and economics are sound.  If we eliminate we will be visiting rest homes sooner than if we wait for herd immunity and antibody testing protocols etc etc, especially if we pace herd immunity at a speed where ICUs aren't overrun (don't understand where you got your 0.1% mortality rate - the global numbers show that to be way wrong). 

Hindsight is great, but Sweden is still an experiment, and if our govt had tried it they would have been ripped apart like Boris J was when he (briefly) announced a herd immunity strategy.  Also not sure why you think NZ's economy is so harmed by elimination compared to alternatives, nor why you single out just the PM as a "twit" on these points.  In the days leading up to the lockdown there was heavy industry lobbying for a lockdown.  Major industry and exporters wanted it.  This is partly why the opposition agreed with it.  Tourism and flights were collapsing whatever we did and the key was to minimise health and economic carnage elsewhere.  The travelling barriers with elimination are small beer compared to the peril of having a long, slow pandemic spread through the community with business after business shut down again and again.   Nail it quickly and NZ has a major competitive advantage.  Hindsight or medical study will inform things for sure, but this strategy is what industry and scientists were telling the government to do loud and clear.  The opposition agreed and their criticism has been on detail of implementation, not the overall plan.  Most international commentators praise it.  Either all of them are twits, or none, but not just the (female) politician you don't like.

We were going to have a recession the moment this blew up in the major economies.  We may yet choose to take a different approach over time (you can go from lockdown to Sweden's approach but not vice versa).  But I don't think there were any loud political or industry voices saying it was stupid to lock down, quite the opposite.  As for mocking it as being "kind", we did what China did (locking down Wuhan) and they will have been thinking solely about the economy.  Twits also?  

Back to boating, here is a prediction: absent a vaccine, Americans will find global cruising miserable for a long time now because their approach has been terrible.  Wouldn't surprise me if they (and others) face serious barriers to visiting smaller island states that can eliminate.  We may just have the chance of cruising up to the islands like the old days.

Whatever you think of the Chinese government It's incredibly offensive and racist to say China would be thinking solely of "the economy". And anyway, there is no such thing as "the economy" - it's an intellectual construct, not a real thing. https://kmccready.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/open-letter-to-colin-james-cc-rod-oram/

Link to post
Share on other sites

right - I feel responsible for the original post that sent this off on a tangent and so I shall do my utmost to bring it back.  

Heard today that for a number of weeks now CAA has been working on enabling owners of aircraft to continue to maintain their aircraft, including maintenance flights.  DG of Health has approved this (clearly he now runs the country) even at level 4. 

There is a framework around how to go about doing this.  So would seem consistent that maintenance of vessels should also be permitted. I would deem that to include being able to run an engine under load "at sea", test running rigging etc. to the owners satisfaction.  MNZ are only looking at commercial operations rather than recreational vessels (there is nothing on their website) and so as usual there's no assistance from them there.  Nobody (and regrettably I'd have to include YNZ in that) is lobbying on recreational vessel owners' behalf to be able to carry out maintenance as far as I can tell.

discuss!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The aircraft rules only allow those aircraft for which the engine, without being run in 30 days, is no longer allowed to fly and will require a strip down.

If the manufacturer of the boat engine has the same rules, enforced by Maritime NZ, that a vessel cannot legally be operated if the engine has not been run within 30 days then the same rules should apply. You apply to maritime for an exemption and one person is named to take the boat for a short run under engine. Fairs fair. Owners of such boats line up here.......

 

In our aeroclub of 100 members owning 75 aircraft between them, 6 have been given permission

Edited by Deep Purple
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to post incase I take it off topic again.

But I will say that the economy is like gravity, there is no logical explanation for it, its hard to understand its existence, but you can measure its effect, and ignoring it can be very painful...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

In our aeroclub of 100 members owning 75 aircraft between them, 6 have been given permission

Same. The circuits only call was for currency and getting motors working only and then only for private aircraft, none of the club aircraft are allowed up ... but they have been up for the motors I'm told.... which will be a hard to counter cover story for the Instructor lassies n lads to just go for a hoon :)  Every flight has to jump thru hoops before they can get wheels up. 

 

18 hours ago, ScottiE said:

  Nobody (and regrettably I'd have to include YNZ in that) is lobbying on recreational vessel owners' behalf to be able to carry out maintenance as far as I can tell.

The problem is us yachties do not have a true national body to advocate for us. Yes there is YNZ but they exist for Olympics and clubs, their membership and constituents are not us the yachties. Sure they try to spin it that way but it simply is not the case, as they will tell you.

Look at the activities with good strong true national bodies, cycling, hunting and the others. All have gone to bat for their constituents and have have had wins, sure with limitations but there would be few arguing a no holes free for all right now is good for anyone. Anyone who thinks taking your laser for a blast along the beach is more dangerous than hunting or cycling is a prime muppet, sadly NZ yachties are governed by assorted bunches of muppets, all of whom are currently in prime muppet brained form.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...