Cost to upgrade a keel

Evening!

this lockdown has given me to much time to think and have the itch or curiosity of looking into cost of upgrading keel and also if anyone have plans they are willing to share for the 1050 latest gen keel.

would be interested in pushing the boundaries a bit with the std 2.3 draught and the consequences around that with keel floors and chain plates.

She currently looks very strong in those areas but am not an engineer.

Are we talking an Elliot 1050 ?
If yes, Greg Elliot would be the best person to talk to. He designed and fitted a T Keel to "Cutting Edge". He is going to be the best person to tell you what needs to be done to the structure of the Boat if any.
Cost is also going to be different depending on how much you do yourself or if it is done by a professional yard.
I am out of my depth on this part, but I would expect that to be able to maintain a Cat number for racing (depending on what racing you want to do) you may need a properly engineered design, hence Elliots involvement. You may also get around having to do stability tests because Elliott will likely be able to proved all the figures and the fact that he has done it before. New one off's can be fraught with all sorts of expensive issues otherwise.

Was interested in peoples experiences and the true cost.

im not in a financial position right now for a project like this right now but just interested to see what it would be before talking to designers etc.

You could also talk to markm about how much it would cost your handicap...

You can spend a lot of coin to go faster and come out even or behind on the results due to the vagaries of the handicaps.

15 minutes ago, Fish said:

You could also talk to markm about how much it would cost your handicap...

You can spend a lot of coin to go faster and come out even or behind on the results due to the vagaries of the handicaps.

Not really that interested in handicaps, already heavily penalised for our taller rig.

we need to find more speed in pressure upwind and reaching forward of the beam and am struggling against the 1050’s with updated keels plus they have a smaller rating.

4 minutes ago, Kick Ass said:

we need to find more speed in pressure upwind and reaching forward of the beam and am struggling against the 1050’s with updated keels plus they have a smaller rating.

The drag penalty of a larger rig may be a big part of the issue, rather than the keel?

i have receipts from when Gales keel was done 10 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The drag penalty of a larger rig may be a big part of the issue, rather than the keel?

i have receipts from when Gales keel was done 10 years ago.

That is a possibility, but increasing our righting moment means we could use that extra sail area rather than it being drag?

am curious of the costs 10 years ago Ken

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

Ill dig them out. From memory of looking a few years ago, it was about 20-25 k all up?

Would sound about right, im thinking alot of cost in design and engineering?

There was 3(?) 1050s done togther in 2009 I understand, and that enabled some sharing of costs? I also belive all the upgraded 1050s have the same keel design (from Greg Elliott).  So the 'old design' may be cheaper to utilise, and a different one may costs alot more  in terms of design.

We wouldn’t be going heavier, at the most we would keep same weight but go deeper to achieve the increased righting moment but as you say meed to know the increased loads on rig and floors etc.

have had a few price break downs sent through which has been very helpful and gives le a rough idea of cost to now work o

On 9/04/2020 at 3:49 PM, Clipper said:

There was 3(?) 1050s done togther in 2009 I understand, and that enabled some sharing of costs? I also belive all the upgraded 1050s have the same keel design (from Greg Elliott).  So the 'old design' may be cheaper to utilise, and a different one may costs alot more  in terms of design.

9 years ago, ahhh fark it, I still had kids... someone slow this bus down I want to get off.

Id go for the one the others got done... stops an arms race and the design was solid and is proven.

Manson Marine built them to Elliot spec.. Mike Rees cast the bulbs.

I did Pork Chop as same time but was a different gig, had to move bulkheads etc..Lloyd Stevenson did the work and I couldnt have been happier with the work

2 hours ago, Veladare said:

Id go for the one the others got done... stops an arms race and the design was solid and is proven.

I think when your mast is that much taller than the other 1050s, the arms race is less of an issue.