Old life raft

I had one i took to playcentre and inflated for the kids. They loved it opening and then played in it for a week or two. So if you are binning it, id take it off your hands and do that again!

• Like 1

They are great for sea survival training. Either donate it to someone doing a proper course, or do a DIY course with some mates in a swimming pool or calm beach. If you are going to biff it, it would be a great opportunity to practice 'playing' in one. Or donate it to a group that would benefit, i.e.sea scouts.

I'm intending to do some practice drills with my out of date inflatable life jackets. Having done a sea-surivival course some time ago, and having had the odd LJ inflate at in-opportune times, it is really handy to get used to what they are like inflated, both whilst trying to do something (wrestle a sail) or whilst swimming and / or trying to get back onto the boat with one on. Just swimming in them is a really good way to get people to understand the importance of fitting them properly in the first place.

And on the liferaft, its noted that people who have had a play in one on the water suddenly realise how flimsy they are, how vulnerable you are in one, and how you should work damn hard to stay on your boat in the first place. So yes, there is definite benefit in playing in it, or giving it to a group who will.

I like the idea of donating it to someone doing a sea survival course.   If anyone has some contacts?     If I get no luck there I will flick you a PM Clipper. 

15 hours ago, mcp said:

I like the idea of donating it to someone doing a sea survival course.   If anyone has some contacts?     If I get no luck there I will flick you a PM Clipper. 

You can try Al Gyre at Sea Wise

he runs courses so guess he needs rafts or coast guard 

IMO the liferaft industry, sales and service, is a rort. Low quality stuff like this is common/standard. I had a raft that was so badly packed by one of the main industry players, that it failed to inflate 🤬

My raft was 18 months out of service. The torch didn’t go, the flares were at least 2 years out of date, and it went down quite badly too. Tried to use pump and it lasted 2 pumps and was stuffed. 

I know it's kind of beside the point of there being emergency survival gear in the raft, but knowing that the gear in the raft is probably inadequate just hammers home to me why we carry a grab bag with water, food, torch, plb, first aid kit, etc. As for the deflation etc, how old are these rafts and what is their service history? Genuinely interested as I have a raft coming up to time for it's first service, and the cost of it makes me question if it's worth having it done until we actually need the certification for heading offshore.

My raft that did not work was condemned at a service attempt. It was a 6 year old Seasaver 4,  been serviced  once, before we left on our last big trip, expired while we were away,  condemned on return. never used, soft bag,  and vacuum sealed, kept in liferaft locker out of the sun. 

Thanks IT, we have a Waypoint Ocean 4 person, also in a soft bag, vacuum sealed, and kept out of the sun. We got that one, even though it wasn't the cheapest, but the manufacturer gave a 3 year service period, and it worked out better value over the longer term. I am bothered though, that the problems seem to happen after service, and it would be good to get a feel for how common it is for issues to be found when the raft comes up for it's second (or subsequent) service.

My impression, after recently researching and buying a raft, is that the latest rafts are a step above.  Most of them seem to be made of TPU which doesn't act the way the old rubber-coated rafts did.  I believe one of the drivers behind servicing was to repack the raft so the folds were on previously unfolded material.  Many new rafts now have a 5 year period to first service.

Absolutely agree with the need for a well thought out and researched grab bag.  I was very dubious buying a Chinese made raft - imagine jumping in and finding a brick in place of the survival equipment (hopefully a bad dream and not reality).

I guess you have to regard the money spent on a raft like your insurance premium - hopefully a waste of money....