Covid-free sailing thread

Q1. What was the highlight of your summer season (as far as it went)?

Q2. What’s the first trip you’re hoping for as soon as we can go (weather permitting)?

Starting off with myself:

1. Highlight was first family weekend at the end of Feb after my wife & baby son came home from 3 months in hospital

2. A few days at the bottom end - ideally including a swim and walk ashore on Rotoroa

1 BoI to weiti mid December.  Stunning weather great sailing first time spelunking  and a brilliant day of fishing at kawau meant we came back with fish for the family.

2 I'm almost embarrassed to say it but Angela and I just had a wonderful 4 weeks in the gulf. Hardly any other boats and birds and fish everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

1   Dunedin to Havelock and back over the December to February period, immediately followed by a run down to Stewart Island which was cut short by lockdown. Pity it had to come to a halt.

2   Back down to Stewart Island in one of the good weather Winter spells (we have a good cabin heater.....)

• Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

2 I'm almost embarrassed to say it but Angela and I just had a wonderful 4 weeks in the gulf. Hardly any other boats and birds and fish everywhere. 

Lucky bugger - I've been waiting for that comment!  truely jealous

1. solo sail round motuhie in 5-8kn of breeze in late Jan - instead of being stuck in the office.

2. few few days at Ocean Beach motuhie for my lads - its probably their favourite hangout at the moment.

• Upvote 1

1. Had an amazing trip with the family up as far as Whangaroa, and then out to Barrier at xmas. Then came home and raced around NI two handed, so have had a pretty good summer anyway.

2. Anywhere is good, be great to have a night away, even if its just to izzy bay.

• Upvote 1

Had an awesome 3 weeks in January February brought oryx from Whangarei then had a great family holiday around motuihe Waiheke and Rotoroa. Heaps of swimming and rope swings under the pohutukawas 

2 hanging out to go surfing next week and taking the new proa into Okiwi next summer 

70C1BE47-51CB-4687-B75B-9B6480CDAE11.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1. Dragging the mid-rebuild Noelex to Lake Ngaroto for a trailer yacht sprint series, and it not sinking.

2. Anything. That was the only time I got near water all season.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Sabre said:

1. Solo sail from Tauranga up to BoI and return early to mid March. Spent a fair few days at Fitzroy (Kaiaraara bay mainly) and Tryphena. Man I like hanging at Barrier! 

2. I really want to go and do a lap of White Island but if time is short even a blat out to Mayor would be amazeballs

I'm planning on Barrier next summer.

Lets see if our paths cross Sabre.  Would like to see that Windpilot in action.
Regret selling that to you now LOL!.  I am going to order another one.  The Windpilot guy has offered me a good price on a new one.  I am sure you can give me a few tips on how it all works if our bows do cross.

1 hour ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

1. Banff to Burghead

2. Molesworth Station

Molesworth is a good easy ride, hardest part is stopping to open and close gates.but to complete the circuit ride back up the St James / Rainbow road definitely a bit more challenging but not hard, mind the sandflies at lake Tennyson,. St Arnaud to Hanmer, via the Rainbow, Hanmer to the SH1 turn off south of Blenheim via the Molesworth. There was a time when the ST J / Rainbow was open year round, now Doc. has control it is Christmas to Easter, You can book to go through when it / they are closed but you have to "buy" a key.

• Upvote 1
On 24/04/2020 at 6:47 PM, Sabre said:

1. Solo sail from Tauranga up to BoI and return early to mid March. Spent a fair few days at Fitzroy (Kaiaraara bay mainly) and Tryphena. Man I like hanging at Barrier!

Me too and I have managed to get there a couple of times a year for the last 10. Was around the back when the lock down dropped so had to scuttle back to Whangamata. We go March and June if you want to join a loose group. Oh by the way I have gone to that dark side so mostly on a Salthouse 35 these days. Almost a proper boat. LOL