idlerboat (off metalboatbuilding.org )

With OzziTalk missing I spotted an update on Martin

by idlerboat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi all you wonderfull people and my mates from Alaska and Canada.

Sorry for the time that has past........

The very short version.

We put the boat inthe water..24 hrs later put the rig on (self built of course). Spent a few months getting sorted and then 6 weeks waiting for a window to do "sea trials". 1200 NM later we are now at the half way point and heading back south. We have had constant battles with wild weather and as I type tommorrow will be no differant. 40 knotts and 5 M seas. Most of the harbours on this strectch of coast are barred rivers. These require tidal deligence. In short you have to leave at the right time and arrive at the right time. If you miss calculate you will need to come through surf....not really an option for a sensible boat owner.

So to the boat. Bloody good realy !! She is well behaved and all those hours of "design time and discusons on this site (my home) have been well served. The engine instalation has been brilliant. (Again thanks to a previous contributor). I have so much that I would like to now put back into our site. The time that I have been "missing in action" has been a nessecary thing ....not enough hours in a day.

If you would like to see where we have come from...Western port in Victoria........to Iluka /Yamba far nth NSW (in australia) and are about to head back as I have mentioned. This "sea trial" will be 3000 NM once we get back. Then the serious adventures will begin. Highlights have been wonderful people..seeing a country from the outside...a very differant thing from driving along a highway and cruising through the annual whale migration (in both directions). These creatures top out at 50 tons (southern rights) and 80 tons (hump backs). Makes our tiny 10 very little when they are up close and personal.

So much technical stuff that I would like to share but not in this post. But to give you just a glimpse...think about your power inputs, if you are doing long term cruising. Solar panels may not be enough...and wind genies are great.

To all my friends and new commers again...

In the tradition of many years

Cheeers Martin

Just got directed to this from a friend of mine...

Honestly made me a bit teary..

Now all these years later and so many thousands of miles...

To wheels and fusion.. Thanks.