Antifoul - options

I tend to agree Tamure, I had hoped that it would have been a bit of a "silver bullet" in the war on fouling, but realise now that its probably not quite there for the majority of prospective users.  By that I mean that to get the benefit out of the wrap I think you'll have to be pretty stringent on maintenance if you're not using the boat regularly.  Leaving it as I did for so long was asking for trouble so have only myself to blame. 

From a cost perspective the wrap was around $4.5k, as well as probably $2k for the hull prep and paint.  The product is warrantied for 5 years so for me it will ideally cost $1300 per year over it's life, still dearer than hauling and antifouling but it 'should' be a bit less hassle, we'll see about that.

I reckon it will be a good solution for launches that are used reasonably regularly, with the added bonus of fuel savings for them due to the claimed drag reduction of the silicon.  I'm interested in how your mate gets on, there's also a couple of power boats that have been done at Stillwater so when I run into them (not literally!) I'll see how they're getting on. 

I've ordered some of this silicon wrap to go on my prop shaft (yacht). We don't haul out, as we have copper coat. The prop speed has warn off, and I'm wanting something I can apply between tides. Should be an easy option to try, and not much to loose if it doesn't work.

Even if we don't go out often enough, I do tend to give the engine a run and spin the prop every two weeks or so on the mooring, so hoping it will stay clean. Randomly, I think the fouling on the shaft is damaging my cutless bearing - the growth on the shaft is blocking the water flow through the bearing. Historically I've been getting through cutless bearings faster than I should, which I put down to an alignment and vibration problem. Now we've got a new engine, the only vibration is from the cutless bearing...

Might work, I seem to recall that there's a top speed for the wrap above which it's not recommended, the guys at MPS will tell you I'm sure.  I don't know what the relative 'boat speed' of a propshaft is at revs but I guess you could work it out algebraically.  I hope it goes well for you.