Water - a precious resource

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a complete rort by Watercare, mismanagement at it's best.  And they want to take over New Zealand's entire water network.  Honestly the idea gives me chills. Building a case for water rates incre

If you are on tank water in the Watercare jurisdiction and connected to their sewerage system, you are billed a waste water charge. It is either a flat rate or you can have a water meter put on your t

One of the solutions to managing power generation is to effectively build a dam on a hill. In time of low demand pump the water back up to the dam. This is what the snowy river scheme does in Oz

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, twisty said:

One of the solutions to managing power generation is to effectively build a dam on a hill. In time of low demand pump the water back up to the dam. This is what the snowy river scheme does in Oz

The most effective solution for managing power generation is to have continuously operating reliable generators, not from expensive and intermittently operating generators ie wind and PV.

The Snowy 2 pumped hydro project is under construction at present, running well over time and budget. It will add even more to the already high cost of energy in Australia 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-14/snowy-hydro-2.0-expensive-and-wont-deliver-energy-expert/11594768

18 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

Most of NZ problems with urban water / sewerage treatment is because of Storm water being connected into the sewerage pipes and overloading the Systems during heavy rain events. Whangarei council had / has? a 30 + year water right to dump raw sewerage into the Whangarei harbour.

Same here - when we have big rain, the city puts up signs along the shore to warn us that they are dumping raw sewerage into our beautiful bay. 

There seem to be two solutions being employed: (1) build separate storm and sewerage systems, (2) build giant holding tanks to store the storm runoff until it can be treated. 

I'm only a concerned citizen, and have no expertise on any of this . .  

On 18/05/2020 at 1:46 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Same here - when we have big rain, the city puts up signs along the shore to warn us that they are dumping raw sewerage into our beautiful bay. 

There seem to be two solutions being employed: (1) build separate storm and sewerage systems, (2) build giant holding tanks to store the storm runoff until it can be treated. 

I'm only a concerned citizen, and have no expertise on any of this . .  

Storm water is almost as bad as raw sewage when you consider it can contain dog and cat sh*t (and human in some places), petroleum residues, pesticides and heavy metals just to name a few. So regardless of how it is collected it should be treated before discharge in to the environment. Storing of contaminated water even temporarily is generally to be avoided and in any event you would be talking a large volume.

HI can you please explain to me why those O&*^(&^$&^%$%^ at council forced me to join a new outside lurve roof I had put in to the stormwater, instead of running to ground water under the deck like the previous shade sail? When we didnt have the sail up the rainwater simply fell under the deck.

Surely that is better for the water tables and all that jazz than attaching it to the wastewater line?

12 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

Water meters should be mandatory on all businesses premises and all other water users for Auckland, would be the cheapest and most effective way for Aucklanders. 

Guess what Rehab, we already have them for those connected to scheme water - I have a metered water bill to pay today.

https://www.watercare.co.nz/Water-and-wastewater/Water-meters

Just for once, how about checking your facts before posting

On 19/05/2020 at 2:24 PM, Veladare said:

HI can you please explain to me why those O&*^(&^$&^%$%^ at council forced me to join a new outside lurve roof I had put in to the stormwater, instead of running to ground water under the deck like the previous shade sail? When we didnt have the sail up the rainwater simply fell under the deck.

Surely that is better for the water tables and all that jazz than attaching it to the wastewater line?

Because common sense does not prevail at council. It either complies or does not,  to there arbitary sq meterage of hard roof/ impermeable vs permeable surface %.

Improved outcomes are not a negotiable parameter. And, trying to "verify" an alternative will make you crazy. (And costly)

I sincerely hope JA & Co keep clipping their wings until sanity prevails. Actually, I' m curious to who initiated this change by the MBIE.

“Single-storey detached buildings up to 30 square metres — such as sleep-outs, sheds and greenhouses, carports, awnings and water storage bladders — will now not require a council-approved building consent,” 

“Some of the new exemptions will utilise the Licensed Builder Practitioners scheme, which recognises the competence of these building practitioners and allows them to join chartered professional engineers and certifying plumbers in having their own suite of exemptions.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12334311