Government giving significants funding to our Coastguard and surf Lifesavers.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee, apparently I've been wasting my time as a Coastguard volunteer all these years. Funny though, most of the people we've helped home (typically 6500 - 7000 PA nationally and "helping" ranging

It is called mission creep. The fundamentals of how the CG worked using NZ's famous volunteer attitude , was all WE needed. It is now wanting to become more than that, There is eventually always an el

I'd have to see the context of that - as a volunteer I'm not aware of a current and significant drive to add vessels of that size into the fleet. We do have 2 x 15m "Heavies" based in Auckland. Are th

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, splat said:

Please bear with me -Taking a very cold analytical approach - but what is the cost benefit of coastguard in terms of lives saved? that is how many lives saved per annum for a given expenditure for all NZ? is this info publicly available?

I'll bet you a good bottle of whisky that one of two things would happen:

1) A commercial service would be created to tow home the 99% of no fuel and mechanical issues people, exactly the same as the SeaStart service in the UK, and the equivalent commercial rescue service in the US (who's name I don't know but you can find many threads on Sailing Anarchy about them)

2) If there were no 'rescue service' here (read the AA of the sea) people would suddenly start carrying more petrol and servicing or getting more reliable motors (not all though, but with no safety net, there would be a big change in behavior). Related to that, people would actually start listening to Ch 16 again, and boaties would start helping out other boaties again, instead of just leaving it, cause there is 3 different CG units racing to a job (Huaraki situation, not necessarily national).

For legit search and rescue operations, the police would have to fulfill their obligations with the use of public assets, or increase funding for private assets and or charity assets (such as the rescue choppers).

The upshot is, if you do break down, you may not get home in time for dinner, like you do now, but you will be comparatively safe. People would take more care and less risks.

I don't know how to quantify that in $$ / lives saved, cause the drowning stats and the like are all cooked up so that various organisations can justify more funding...

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

CG NZ's latest annual report is here

https://www.coastguard.nz/media/418680/cnz_annual_report.pdf

some interesting stats on pages 8 and 9

Fish - Sea Tow is who you are thinking of from USA, Canada and they have a toe hold in Australia. One tow by them will make sure you are better prepared next time.

Do you know the charge amount.

The cg could certainly do with another air craft for the south island. Interesting the Minister's thank you speech.

More than a thankyou is needed from the Government. 

5 hours ago, marinheiro said:

CG NZ's latest annual report is here

https://www.coastguard.nz/media/418680/cnz_annual_report.pdf

some interesting stats on pages 8 and 9

Fish - Sea Tow is who you are thinking of from USA, Canada and they have a toe hold in Australia. One tow by them will make sure you are better prepared next time.

Do you know how much a tow is charged by Sea Tow Australia.

The Northern region also in addition to their latest asset another vessel even larger say 20 meters with a greater distant range operational and based near north cape for rescues with a range off 500 nms and return with another plane in association with the vessel rescue operations . Would be far cheaper than the Orion's, quicker to assist distressed vessels, damaged and abandon yachts in trouble than at present relying search and rescue directing shipping to the scene.

The same is required for the southern South island region based either at Stewart island or Dunedin. Government funding would bring this together sooner rather than later.

How say you.

We already have Orion's, they need to be maintained, operated and flown anyway. The current Coastguard do no more or less than the volunteer based version of a bygone era - just costlier and flasher. Yes, I am a member but only as an AA on the water if needed - in 40 years of boating have as yet not needed them.

The proliferation of local units in Auckland over the last 20 years, all racing to the same event sometimes, was very evident to me when I had an active role on the harbour. And they all wanted funding  and had ideas of bigger better boats.

Volunteer skippers provided boats and crews who filled the need, some built their weekends and boat ownership around their passionate duties and still provided as good a service as now at a fraction of the cost.

I'm in Black Panthers  camp.