Government giving significants funding to our Coastguard and surf Lifesavers.

The formation of many Units started after local tradgies (capsized Sea Scout cutter here). Very well meaning volunteers have underpinned what has grown to be the CG we know now. One hell of a lot of growing pains along the way .... some good and bad days during that voyage.

Today we have a maturing organisation that's providing NZ with an inshore rescue service, for better or worse. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee, apparently I've been wasting my time as a Coastguard volunteer all these years. Funny though, most of the people we've helped home (typically 6500 - 7000 PA nationally and "helping" ranging

It is called mission creep. The fundamentals of how the CG worked using NZ's famous volunteer attitude , was all WE needed. It is now wanting to become more than that, There is eventually always an el

I'd have to see the context of that - as a volunteer I'm not aware of a current and significant drive to add vessels of that size into the fleet. We do have 2 x 15m "Heavies" based in Auckland. Are th

Posted Images

2 hours ago, eruptn said:

The formation of many Units started after local tradgies (capsized Sea Scout cutter here). Very well meaning volunteers have underpinned what has grown to be the CG we know now. One hell of a lot of growing pains along the way .... some good and bad days during that voyage.

Today we have a maturing organisation that's providing NZ with an inshore rescue service, for better or worse. 

Not only inshore waters but coastal waters also past the 12 mile limit should b the future goal also including Raglan, Gisborne, Westport, Banks peninsular.

On 20/05/2020 at 10:37 AM, marinheiro said:

Rehab, do you understand the founding principle of NZ's Coastguards? It was as a "self help" volunteer organisation for pleasure boaties. Fish's reference to "weekend warriors" (or the tag that got hung on a reserves mate of mine "cut lunch commandoes") is not unfair, this is exactly what their frontline guys and girls are and they are proud of it. The crews have training equivalent to SCTW 95, the skippers have a Coastguard Qualification recognised by MNZ of a standard somewhere between and SRL and SCO.

Your idea seems to be to transform CG from its current form to a quasi military/government type organisation but without showing any actual need. This is mission creep gone overboard.

Let me pose a couple of questions to you

1. have you heard of Deodar III, Lady Elizabeth IV and Hawk - all existing boats around the 18m size? So your "fleet" already exists (altho without the range), but they are not going to sit around Nth Cape and Stewart Is waiting to be called upon maybe once/twice a year

2. How many maritime fatalities can you name in say the last 10 years that occurred directly because rescue services were unable to attend on a timely basis?

3. Do you have any idea of what is required size wise for an ocean capable power vessel to have a range of 1000NM (500 there and back), and being able to maintain a speed of lets say 25kts in 3-4m ocean seas? This is a big boat and these are almost always painted gray.

Here is an example of not having a bigger rough weather assets in each area to prevent such disasters by commercial vessels. This has the potential to be another reina disaster and the weather at best can in my opinion b described as moderate, not even stormy somewhere in the gale cat.

All comments that the other areas r sufficiently served I's BS.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/two-vessels-stricken-off-coromandel-peninsula-one-leaking-fuel-in-whangamat-harbour

Leaking oil in the whagamata harbour, probably blocking the entire harbour to all other boats. And Why? Because their r negative people around advocating she will b OK.

Whagamata is a lot larger than previous years, the people r proud and community supportive and if asked would b able to donate a considerable amount if it could b placed / guaranteed their donations would not go into the General CG Fung but towards a larger more equiped vessel with full training.

3 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

Here is an example of not having a bigger rough weather assets in each area to prevent such disasters by commercial vessels. This has the potential to be another reina disaster and the weather at best can in my opinion b described as moderate, not even stormy somewhere in the gale cat.

All comments that the other areas r sufficiently served I's BS.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/two-vessels-stricken-off-coromandel-peninsula-one-leaking-fuel-in-whangamat-harbour

Leaking oil in the whagamata harbour, probably blocking the entire harbour to all other boats. And Why? Because their r negative people around advocating she will b OK.

Whagamata is a lot larger than previous years, the people r proud and community supportive and if asked would b able to donate a considerable amount if it could b placed / guaranteed their donations would not go into the General CG Fung but towards a larger more equiped vessel with full training.

you are comparing a 12m fishing boat and a 7m yacht with the Rena?  The Rena was a 38,000t ship but no doubt your 20m coast guard boat (stationed at Cape Reinga) would have been able to get there in double quick time and pull it off the reef!

Back to reality, Whangamata has its own CG vessel but of course you have not bothered to check this.

As the report stated in the case of the fishing boat the weather was too rough to allow deployment of float containment booms, would not matter what size boat was attending.

45 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

you are comparing a 12m fishing boat and a 7m yacht with the Rena?  The Rena was a 38,000t ship but no doubt your 20m coast guard boat (stationed at Cape Reinga) would have been able to get there in double quick time and pull it off the reef!

Back to reality, Whangamata has its own CG vessel but of course you have not bothered to check this.

As the report stated in the case of the fishing boat the weather was too rough to allow deployment of float containment booms, would not matter what size boat was attending.

was aware they had their own vessel. My posts was based on the following statement they could not assess even in a protected harbour?

Whangamata

Whangamata

Vessel Information

Gardner Ranger is an  8.5 metre Naiad powered by two 225 hp Yamaha Outboards.

Whangamata CRV Resized
Whangamata CRV - "Gardner Ranger"

"Unfortunately it’s just not safe to go out on the water at this time, with the conditions making it impossible for us to assess just how much of the diesel is spilling from the vessel into the water,” Mr Hartley said"

Yes stationed at Cape Reinga and a slightly smaller for Tauranga 

Needs to b bigger definitely.

You have obvious never been at whangamata  or know the harbour conditions, size or shape  in adverse weather.

I have my boat was moored their for 10 years approx.

The in harbour water during that time never ever had water conditions more than 1 meter chop. The harbour is to narrow and even all the way from the old hotel northern extremity there is not enough distance for larger fetch size chop.

13 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

The yacht mentioned wasn't on the rocks either. Waikato Regional Council posted that hours after the photos and recovery operation was well under way by the locals. Why we are part of WRC I have no idea but they do nothing for this part of the coast except feed incorrect information to the media

5016A960-FD9D-4256-AD60-77A00839B7E8.jpeg

Pretty little boat - hope she’s recovered ok.

Re the fishing boat, I’ve never heard of a well founded sea vessel sinking due to heavy rain 😳

11 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

was aware they had their own vessel. My posts was based on the following statement they could not assess even in a protected harbour?

Whangamata

Whangamata

Vessel Information

Gardner Ranger is an  8.5 metre Naiad powered by two 225 hp Yamaha Outboards.

Whangamata CRV Resized
Whangamata CRV - "Gardner Ranger"

"Unfortunately it’s just not safe to go out on the water at this time, with the conditions making it impossible for us to assess just how much of the diesel is spilling from the vessel into the water,” Mr Hartley said"

Yes stationed at Cape Reinga and a slightly smaller for Tauranga 

Needs to b bigger definitely.

You have obvious never been at whangamata  or know the harbour conditions, size or shape  in adverse weather.

I have my boat was moored their for 10 years approx.

The in harbour water during that time never ever had water conditions more than 1 meter chop. The harbour is to narrow and even all the way from the old hotel northern extremity there is not enough distance for larger fetch size chop.

you obviously know nothing about oil spill containment operations and you have shot yourself in the foot by implying the CG boat could not handle a 1m chop.

By the way with the honking easterly your imaginary big boat would have not been able to cross the bar entrance

43 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

you obviously know nothing about oil spill containment operations and you have shot yourself in the foot by implying the CG boat could not handle a 1m chop.

By the way with the honking easterly your imaginary big boat would have not been able to cross the bar entrance

You have not answered the question You keep twisting the argument to make look yours is correct. We are not talking about a oil spill we are talking about why the existing Vessel could not be launched for them to go to the vessel observe and assess. 

12 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

What business is it of the Coast Guard to be assessing oil spills? Why on earth would they put their assets and volunteers at risk to contact the duties of existing crown agencies?

Further, it is the Regional Council making that quote, not the CG. Incase you weren't aware, it is the Regional Council who is responsible for monitoring the oil spill....

Coast Guard did attend, so clearly their boat was capable. Did you read that article Rehab?