Cabin Heater

Someone asked but I forget which thread so here it is.

We installed a 5kw model from LFBros in Christchurch.  Basically a ripoff   of the Eberspacher after the patent ran out. China.

All up installed and running with all the ancillary components about 2k and four days.

Installation was a bitch but boats are like that. Lots of scary holes through plywood to run the vents. It didn't help that my hole saws have found their way to my daughters's workshop. ( she is getting into building musical instruments). I bought a set from Bunnings that nearly drilled three holes before turning to shit.

The exhaust was a problem.  Lots of restrictions on where it can go. But eventually sorted. It runs inside the coamings with the pleasant side effect of warming the cockpit inside the oxygen tent. 

I initially tried to to tee into the diesel line to the engine , but the heater  pump wouldn't pull fuel from the tank in the keel. So a day  tank in the utillity room ( what you don't have a utility room?).

On initial start up was lots of smell and smoke causing lots of panic. But it was just the insulation around the exhaust.  After about 30 mins it settled down  

Been using it for 3 days now. Toasty and warm. It's a good idea to put something over the cabin sole as that stays cold. We used something like rubber underlay.  Works fine and cheap enough to bin in the spring.  I'm still fine tuning temperature settings and heat distribution, but overall pretty happy.

Probably tonight.  Last three nights i would get up in the  morning to pee, put the kettle on and light the heater. Then take Angela a cup of tea in bed and cuddle till the boat warmed up  

Not at all unpleasant. 

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Probably tonight.  Last three nights i would get up in the  morning to pee, put the kettle on and light the heater. Then take Angela a cup of tea in bed and cuddle till the boat warmed up  

Not at all unpleasant. 

Amazing how many BTU’s a cuddle can generate for free.

So, a human at rest produces about 100w in heat. An active human can produce about 200w output, + the 100, so 300w. So depending on how "active" you are, it could be as much as 600w, or 2047BTU per hour :-) :-) :-) ...

23 minutes ago, Island Time said:

So, a human at rest produces about 100w in heat. An active human can produce about 200w output, + the 100, so 300w. So depending on how "active" you are, it could be as much as 600w, or 2047BTU per hour :-) :-) :-) ...

Crikey makes you wonder why BP squandered 2k and four days plus countless hole saws when the obvious answer to central heating was laying next to him.

9 minutes ago, Veladare said:

Ye ole terracotta pot over the element works pretty mint... and kids downstairs appear to sleep bloody well too...

We run the trusted Coote heater system on Pretty Woman.. It's awesome and cheap.

That is really interesting BP.

So you used these guys https://lfbros.co.nz/

When you said 'that crowd in Chch', I thought you meant https://www.heatspace.co/store/c4/DIESEL_AIR_HEATERS_.html

I've been thinking about a heater for a while, mainly to expand our cruising season with the kids. The bits holding me back are the cost for a name brand, the quality of the cheap brands, and the time and complexity of the installation.

The main question I have, does your unit set to a thermostat, and turn itself off and on automatically, once it is at temp? The expensive brands will do that, so you can dial in a temp and leave it overnight, once it warms up, the unit will drop down from 2.2 kW, 1,200, 800 then turn off. The Heatspace one will dial down to 800 W, but will keep going all night, regardless of how hot the boat gets. I don't think it is a controller tech issue, I think it is in the ability to burn out the fuel and start regularly without chocking up with carbon.

I note this place (LF Bros) don't appear all that cheap, but actually supply the key parts for the marine exhaust, and they are happy to mix and match cheaper competitor units with better gear...

18 minutes ago, grant said:

I know someone that has installed on of those.  He is a marine engineer and a bit fussy, he is very happy with the unit.

The LF Bros one?

yes, sounds exactly like what he got.  at that stage the thru hull  exhaust was an imported part as they were still setting up manufacturing of their own.

22 hours ago, grant said:

I know someone that has installed on of those.  He is a marine engineer and a bit fussy, he is very happy with the unit.

Should stop you guys getting cold when eating your roast dinner in next years 24 hr race