"If you speak to developers they'll tell you that under the current law it is just so difficult to develop anything, that all the costs get passed on to the end consumer and we've known this for years."

Mr Seymour said the focus should be on councils building infrastructure and freeing up land. He said the RMA should be focused on property rights so there is more flexibility for Kiwis to develop their own property, but also some recourse for when neighbouring developments acutely affect someone else's property.

"We don't need to be telling people the city should be this shape or that shape. We should be enabling people to develop their property. We should be enabling councils to focus on funding good infrastructure because that's how you let the next generation build homes like the previous one did," he said.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

stop using 'emojis' and tell the poster that?

Disagree with the left leaning. From where I am sitting it seems reasonably evenly spread between the irrational far right nutjobs and the sensible well ballanced and highly rational slightly left of

Apparently you have used a lot of them.😉

Posted Images

The RMA is a cash cow for the Councils, with their planners, peer reviews, arbitrary decisions, that when and if questioned can't be backed up, lots of cut and paste, for many years the Kaipara council had a bylaw that you had to have 2 x 6000 gallon water tanks for fire fighting purposes. The fact that in a majority of cases, by the time the fire brigade arrived to connect to the tanks your house would have well and truly burnt down, making the tanks redundant. Nobody ever did due diligence to see if it was needed, Just cut and paste from somewhere else.It can and does can make it a very expensive minefield. Not for the faint hearted!

I think in that example, the issue is the Kaipara DC, not the RMA. These guys blew $60million on a wastewater scheme that wasn't ever going to work, then placed an illegal levy on ratepayers. When they got busted, they got the law changed retrospectively...

Stupid Councils are going to do stupid sh*t with or without the RMA...

Don't get me wrong, the RMA needs repealing. Just that is a poor example of why.

• 3 weeks later...

Seymour said the Government could no longer afford (to) lockdowns as its main response to Covid outbreaks.

”We need to have an honest conversation at that point about what our overall strategy is. One thing New Zealanders are very clear about today is they cannot afford a rolling maul of blunt and expensive lockdowns,” Seymour said.

..., he argued New Zealand should try and mimic Taiwan, which had managed to have low rates of death and infection without imposing severe lockdowns.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300082942/election-2020-act-slams-government-after-coronavirus-lockdown-extension-national-stays-silent

• 1 month later...

Seymour said it was a major issue in New Zealand and he’d written a bill that would cut government funding to universities that didn’t take appropriate steps to protect and foster freedom of speech.

Half the problem was well-meaning vice-chancellors who thought limiting debate on contentious issues was protecting students. But the biggest challenge to free speech at New Zealand universities was outside pressure, such as China’s influence.

He cited the example of Auckland University of Technology scrapping a Tiananmen Square anniversary event after Chinese Government officials asked it not to go ahead with the commemorations.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300108299/act-leader-david-seymour-talks-freely-about-the-dangers-of-silence

On 15/08/2020 at 2:45 PM, Black Panther said:

Luckily there is little to zero chance ACT will be a part of the next government. 

I see a couple of the lurkers are huge Act fans.

Can't quite understand why some people want to lurk around in the shadows of small talk giving thumbs down to people but don't contribute in anyway to the conversation... 

On 16/06/2020 at 1:18 PM, Sabre said:

Im sure Winston will pull something out of his hat.

It looks like act have picked up some of Winstons voters but it wont be hard to get them back.

It would be foolish to write off the cunning old bastard imo.

Cheap smokes.. thats getting desperate! Whats next.. free pokie vouchers? 

14 minutes ago, Sabre said:

I see a couple of the lurkers are huge Act fans.

Can't quite understand why some people want to lurk around in the shadows of small talk giving thumbs down to people but don't contribute in anyway to the conversation... 

I havent figured out what a downvote means. Do  they disagree or dislike? Me or the content of my post? Or something else?

1 minute ago, Black Panther said:

I havent figured out what a downvote means. Do  they disagree or dislike? Me or the content of my post? Or something else?

I thought it was generally when someone strongly disagreed with or disliked what you had posted. It tends to get used on highly controversial topics/thoughts/statements. 

Or they could just strongly dislike things in general..

Personally I'm suprised your very benign comment evoked such a strong dislike.