Jim Young

Seems Jim Young has died in the last day or so. 

One of NZs best designers. I'm sure many of us have owned and sailed on Jim's designs. One of the true pioneers who made NZ yachting what it has become. 

My grandfather, with his brother and Roy Dickson as crew, used to race against Jim out of Northcote and my grandfather always spoke very highly of "young Jimmy".  I met him at pcc during his book launch, despite already being 90ish he was switched on and really cool to have a chat to, although fairly unenthusiastic about my 88 having a bulb keel... 

RIP Jim. 

certainly a great designer who also had a significant influence on the next generation of designers including Bruce Farr and Greg Elliott (altho for some reason the latter will never acknowledge this).

Jim did well to live around 20yrs after multiple by-pass surgery.

He walked up for a chat one day about 5 years ago when I had the catamaran  catabatic anchored in close at takapuna beach . Really nice guy and in great shape mentally and physically for his age  

Was a privilege to meet him ,I offered to take him for a sail but he was happy to just chat and have a stroll on the beach. 

through economic necessity Jim also spent alot of time on the "dark side" designing and building powerboats. 

My previous Vindex 32, at Garden Is, off Perth

20200619_175900.thumb.jpg.8e4e7c415df2b76c250f14a157db0cb7.jpg

This is an incredibly timeless design considering Jim designed these nearly 50yrs ago. I understand Jim did not like flybridges but had to bow to customer pressure

12 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

through economic necessity Jim also spent alot of time on the "dark side" designing and building powerboats. 

My previous Vindex 32, at Garden Is, off Perth

20200619_175900.thumb.jpg.8e4e7c415df2b76c250f14a157db0cb7.jpg

This is an incredibly timeless design considering Jim designed these nearly 50yrs ago.

And the formula/vindex  50 , 45 , 40 and 33 

5 hours ago, 44forty said:

And the formula/vindex  50 , 45 , 40 and 33 

the Formula 4000 started off as the Vindex 12m, however Alan Young wanted to update its profile so Jim basically revised the the forard cabin using the Y88 cabin profile.

There were also 2 Formula 58's and 2 65's during the time John Roy owned Formula Cruisers. 

4 hours ago, marinheiro said:

the Formula 4000 started off as the Vindex 12m, however Alan Young wanted to update its profile so Jim basically revised the the forard cabin using the Y88 cabin profile.

There were also 2 Formula 58's and 2 65's during the time John Roy owned Formula Cruisers. 

Thanks for clarifying that !  I worked for Roy snr and jnr as a factory rat but they didn’t build any beasts while I was there . 

the molds were there though and bloody big too and think they were the biggest production launch molds at the time ?  Pre-dating the salthouse sovereigns by quite a few years .

Such a legend to design good looking , ground breaking launches AND yachts that planed before it was the done thing 

3 hours ago, 44forty said:

Thanks for clarifying that !  I worked for Roy snr and jnr as a factory rat but they didn’t build any beasts while I was there . 

the molds were there though and bloody big too and think they were the biggest production launch molds at the time ?  Pre-dating the salthouse sovereigns by quite a few years .

Such a legend to design good looking , ground breaking launches AND yachts that planed before it was the done thing 

This was John Roy's 58, Formula Express, powered by 2 8V92 Detroit 2 Strokes (hope they had a good sound proofing package!)

2141579357_Formula58.jpg.9f7fb0f38037de64f577e65b19b6c3be.jpg

This is the other 68 Golden Eagle, John had the 68 Magic Express with 2 big Cats

1169834638_Formula68.jpg.330f72ef8dd22ea649004c67730f5786.jpg

and back to reality I remembered I do currently own one of Jim's designs

1093635616_dinghy1.png.5b55ad2fa4bf479568be74dc0b5051e3.png

Jim%20Young.jpg?itok=djSFlUZY

Hey all.  Jim had such a positive impact on so many sailors and launchies that we have decided to organise an "On Water Salute" in his honour. This is timed to take place immediately after his remembrance ceremony at RNZYS next Friday. 

Please like and share the Facebook event and pass on to all those you know who have enjoyed or still enjoy his designs.. The more boats we can get n the water the better.

Facebook event is at this link https://www.facebook.com/events/2667290453593271/

"Jim Young designed and built a vast array of yachts and launches including one of his favourite and most successful designs the Young 88.

The life of Jim is being honoured at a remembrance ceremony at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron Friday, July 3rd at 2pm.

There has been a big expression of loss, a lot of stories of the fun and joy his designs have brought and a real desire from those who own or have owned his designs to mark his passing.

We want to bring together as many of his designs as possible for an on water lap in his honour including keelers, launches, catamarans and dinghies.

The “Young flotilla” will assemble after the remembrance ceremony at approximately 3:15pm on the waters directly in front of the Squadron. Boats will join a circuit around two laid marks to be left to port.

Skippers to listen out on VHF Channel 17 for any further instructions.

Refer to SailWorld
https://www.sail-world.com/news/229589/Top-designer-builder-and-sailor-Jim-Young-dies  and Yachting NZ https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/nz-loses-giant-boat-designing-and-building  for more of the story of Jim "