Extending life of half full paint tins

I find it amusing that first link is sponsored by Vetus Maxwell. No one is worse at making paint stick than they are, with the blue paint on the anchor winch motors. It falls off and the motor rusts before the packagings thrown away. 

35 minutes ago, mattm said:

I find it amusing that first link is sponsored by Vetus Maxwell. No one is worse than making paint stick than they are, with the blue paint on the anchor winch motors. It falls off and the motor rusts before the packagings thrown away. 

Thats on my to do list. What is the best thing to do with a rusty starter motor? How would a wrapping of Denso Tape work? Too hot?

I’ve had many of the winch motors sand blasted and repainted with decent, hardy, paint. Even when they have layers of rust shedding off, as long as water hasn’t made it inside the motor. Can extend their life by years. 

By starter are you referring to the engine starter or the winch motor, which is sort of a modified starter motor?

2 hours ago, mattm said:

I find it amusing that first link is sponsored by Vetus Maxwell. No one is worse at making paint stick than they are, with the blue paint on the anchor winch motors. It falls off and the motor rusts before the packagings thrown away. 

I saw my marina neighbour's just over 1 year old Lofrans winch being taken off his boat not looking in very good shape. Seems they don't make them they used to, meanwhile my 30+ yr old Nilsson soldiers on

13 hours ago, marinheiro said:

I saw my marina neighbour's just over 1 year old Lofrans winch being taken off his boat not looking in very good shape. Seems they don't make them they used to, meanwhile my 30+ yr old Nilsson soldiers on

Be worth looking after then, make sure the power cables are healthy  and the winch is getting good voltage. Prevent it rusting, grease the clutch cones, check the deck seal and gearbox seal to make sure they are not worn, and hose off after use to remove silt from the deck seal.  Per the manual. Those are the main killers I’ve seen.