Where to Mount Nav Lights on Pulpit?

Any opinions on where is the best place to mount navigation lights on a pulpit?

Y99 Geriatrix has only ever had a masthead tri-light.  It was 30 years old and broken so I'm getting some stainless mounts added for LED's on the pulpit.

If you had a choice, what part would you install them on... under top rail? lower rail? forward?  Any pictures of a great setup please?

Cheers

Bevan

Probably a good idea to follow the Yachting New Zealand Safety Regulations of Sailing 2017–2020

19.07 Navigation lights on all boats shall be fitted no lower than the height of the upper lifelines.

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/default/files/2018-10/YNZ Safety Regulations of Sailing 17-20 (Final) (small).pdf

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/resources/yachting-new-zealand-safety-regulations-sailing-2017-2020

7 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Probably a good idea to follow the Yachting New Zealand Safety Regulations of Sailing 2017–2020

19.07 Navigation lights on all boats shall be fitted no lower than the height of the upper lifelines.

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/default/files/2018-10/YNZ Safety Regulations of Sailing 17-20 (Final) (small).pdf

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/resources/yachting-new-zealand-safety-regulations-sailing-2017-2020

Can anyone post a photo of a (modern) yacht, or describe an option that complies with this? Most common I’ve seen is as 180s has posted, but although close, are not actually above the top lifelines. Only thing I can think of is a classic I worked on with them mounted on a board lashed to the side stays. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Thanks, that's good to keep in mind.  Interesting 19.07 first says above main deck level in the first paragraph then later says no lower than upper lifeline. 

Getting power supply to them can be tricky  in a retrofit can be tricky too. Best done with the pulpit off. Otherwise having the cables cable tied on exposes them to being pulled off by wildly flapping sheets. 

best done with pulpit  off. 

4 hours ago, Tamure said:

or just get another tri light

How do you comply while motoring though?

Power-driven vessels underway
Subject to 22.23(3), a power-driven vessel underway must exhibit—
(a) a masthead light forward; and
(b) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one,
EXCEPT that a vessel of less than 50 metres in length is not obliged to exhibit such light but may do so; and
(c) sidelights; and
(d) a sternlight.
In addition to the lights prescribed in rule

Instead of exhibiting the lights prescribed in subrule (1), a power-driven vessel—
(a) of less than 12 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights; and
(b) of less than 7 metres in length, whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots, may exhibit an all-round light and must, if practicable, exhibit sidelights.

You must have lowers, and a steaming light. Trilight is optional, not to be used at the same time. No one will give you grief if your side lights are mounted just under the top pushput rail. Thats how most boats have it, and a steaming light up the mast, Usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up, but some just use a anchor light (360 deg masthead) as steaming and sternlight combined, That's ok if you have a trilight for sailing.....

On 25/06/2020 at 6:59 PM, 180S said:

Have mine like this(below). Wire run up inside the rail.

988DDB5B-63B8-4A11-97EA-71B2D214DB38.jpeg

Whats with the little bow seat?  I like it. looks like a good spot for quiet meditation., in the calm anyway. 

On 25/06/2020 at 6:59 PM, 180S said:

Have mine like this(below). Wire run up inside the rail.

988DDB5B-63B8-4A11-97EA-71B2D214DB38.jpeg

I also had tabs welded on similar to the above picture, but rounded at the front so no corner for kite to catch on. Keep in mind that the tabs should be angled out from the natural line of the pulpit so that when the lights are mounted they are parallel with each other as opposed to toe'd in, or the lights will need to be shimmed. The welder can also add holes where the pulpit attaches to the deck and tubing to run wiring. 

Is a great seat to watch the miles trundle by. Auto helm on and beer in hand I’m a happy man. Have never had the kite hook up on the edge, but yeah a rounded corner would be sensible. 

On 26/06/2020 at 8:09 AM, DrWatson said:

My port n stb lights are mounted on the pushpit frames. Likely only works on boats where the widest beam is fully aft...

Ca see them here, little white jobbie 

POGO36-3786-1920x1280.jpg

I presume you have tri colour mast light?? if what i am looking at on the pushpit is the port/star nav lights would be near impossible to see from ahead,does the glow at night impede cockpit vision.

22 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Put them on in a place they are safe and will be seen well. If that doesn't meet the regs don't worry, when was the last time you ever heard of anyone even checkimg let alone bitch about where some were.

You are to one out there on the boat trying not to be run down, those writing the rule book aren't and with the growing number of WTF like rules it's not that big a stretch to think they never have or ever will be.

One of mine has them sitting on the gunwale as I have yet to find any levitating Nav lights. That boat was recently given a full out of water Cat 1 going over inc running most systems, some are a little unique. The only comment made about the Nav lights was 'you'll be seen from a long way'. That boat also has a masthead option, we didn't run that and I can remember even any mention of it, but Mr Inspector is wise and has roving very experianced eyes so I'm sure he saw it.

Gday knot me !

yep plenty of sprit boats have pulpit navs that are obscured by the gennaker/code 0 when it’s up and have passed their Cats

14 hours ago, harrytom said:

I presume you have tri colour mast light?? if what i am looking at on the pushpit is the port/star nav lights would be near impossible to see from ahead,does the glow at night impede cockpit vision.

Yeah we have a masthead tri. When motoring, the masthead anchor light serves as stern and steaming. Stern light on the pushpit it on its own circuit. 

Ive never noticed much interference from the sidelights when I’m in the cockpit. The lowers are only used when motoring. So generally there’s no reflection from the sails. The lowers are mounted above the sheer, and the cabin cuts in as you go forward, so they clearly visible from dead ahead. I guess you wouldn’t see both from dead ahead if you were in a rubber dinghy and closer than 5-8m to the bow. 

But thy work, they’re bright and the meet eu regulations.

If i was doing lights myself I would make sure they met int colleges and YNZ be dammed.

• Upvote 1

I understand why a professional installer would use Hella from a reputation standpoint, but for the average boatie trying to keep costs reasonable, in my own experience LED technology is both cheap and reliable, and everything else is just marketing hype. If I ever did have a problem my spare emergency nav lights are easy to clip on. 

I was required by an inspector to move my gunwale mounted lights to the pulpit rail years ago even though other prominent boats in the area continue to have gunwale mounted lights and the forward angle of the new lights was checked and debated as to whether there was a slight toe in. Also had inspector complain that the lights were not the expensive brand....