John Mansell

He tried again in 1984 in a Given 35' cat and was taken off by another competitor when its beams started failing IIRC. Damn shame, would probably have done quite well otherwise.

2 hours ago, GregW said:

He tried again in 1984 in a Given 35' cat and was taken off by another competitor when its beams started failing IIRC. Damn shame, would probably have done quite well otherwise.

according to Ron, the beams had not failed, rather some of the bolts fixing them started coming loose but JM did nothing and eventually they fell out.

Rumour has it that Tigress was recovered and is/was based somewhere in Newfoundland Canada

HI,

good guy, I met him once. Early pioneer for NZ solo sailing

I seem to remember he came unstuck off East cape. He clipped onto backstay and when the boat rolled he went up the rig, once he landed on deck he broke a leg, required rescuing

Good lesson

Cheers

Dr Dave

11 hours ago, Dr Dave said:

Cheers Dtwo

I will only clip onto a "jackline" on deck. Also beware of lateral loads

There are a number of incidents where people have come to grief attaching to stays or bollards

See https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/200975/Tether-hook-angle-was-crucial-factor-in-death

Regards

Dr Dave

Gee, interesting. Not much strength In that situation, 200kgs

On 16/07/2020 at 7:51 PM, Dr Dave said:

Cheers Dtwo

I will only clip onto a "jackline" on deck. Also beware of lateral loads

There are a number of incidents where people have come to grief attaching to stays or bollards

See https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/200975/Tether-hook-angle-was-crucial-factor-in-death

Regards

Dr Dave

Hi Dave, Sorry that this is a serious thread drift, But

Those standard clips on tethers are a very poor design.  Their flat cross section is a really bad  design since side loads bend it in that directing like bending a butter knife sideways. It's unrealistic to expect these things to never see side loading

Even a standard medium quality 23kn aluminum oval carabiner will do 612 kg on a side load. See attachment from Petzl.com  The stainless steel rescue carabiners will do allot more than this. Trying to keep your jack lines away from cleats and deck fittings is not that easy. 

Sorry for the drift

Side Loaded Carabiner.png

2020-07-18_20-15-56.png