Coastal Classic Reports

oh my it is freezing outside.... 10C - I do not envy anyone out there... although the moon is beautiful :wink: :lol:

plenty of lights coming around Russell point

Clearing the phone, in no paerticular order

2352 Stratocaster

At Piercy

maybe the v team??

We thinbk the skipper has his mankini on underneath his clothes as a good luck charm. We managed to convince the new girl to pack her bikini but she is saving that for tomorrow

Unknown txter - In the toilet, it's going bad

2241 Azure - Farr 1020 breeze dropped 7 knapparent wind 10.7 nm to Brett

V team off Mimiwhagata. Had a whiskey to bring wind, Very patchy out here. From 0 to 7 kn. Quite warm. Savouries coming out of the oven Can see 40 boats around us !9 miles to Brett.

That was atmidnight

TBDA

The original owner/builder's son had an opimist called "Dont Argue". Somthing to do with being the only thing he heard from his father. So when the boat was being built ..............

So what happened with Crac-a-Jack? She posted progress times and presumably finished, yet the reports were that she'd dropped her rig between Rangi and Tiri. Obviously, the reports of breakage are probably wrong.

So ... who did drop their rig then? Anyone? Or was it just a bit of a cock up in the reporting?

It wasn't a cock up.

To update the website we get people to report in (by email, txt and voice). It usually works really well but this year somebody sent me a message stating that Crac a Jac had broken her rig. I asked them to confirm it, they did, I contacted Coastguard in case they needed to be involved or had heard anything, and put on the race website we'd had the report of a broken rig.

Later on after I found out that he hadn't in fact broken his rig, I took it off the website and explained what had happened.

It's my opinion that it was a practical joke. Pretty juvenile but it takes all sorts.

We had an ok race, all things considered. An average start, due to the skipper imagining conversations with bow staff that hadn't yet occurred, and it got worse as the rudder progressively got sloppier and sloppier, meaning we couldn't keep the boat up and humming. We'd either fall off, or come around and so had to play it a little more conservatively than we liked.

The photo above was taken whilst doing 15kts on a tight three sail reach, but again like many others, we didn't go far enough out, and especially at the start. We were in fairly close and the breeze was reasonable, albeit coming in and out to a degree, which wouldn't have afflicted us if we'd just headed straight out. There was some concern about the rudder there though, so did play it safe to a degree.

We arrived early enough though, and had the boat packed up and were on shore by half 10. Didn't feel so bad when the next day we sat outside on the deck and watched others still coming in late afternoon Saturday, as the breeze had dropped. Ouch.

It wasn't a cock up.

To update the website we get people to report in (by email, txt and voice). It usually works really well but this year somebody sent me a message stating that Crac a Jac had broken her rig. I asked them to confirm it, they did, I contacted Coastguard in case they needed to be involved or had heard anything, and put on the race website we'd had the report of a broken rig.

Later on after I found out that he hadn't in fact broken his rig, I took it off the website and explained what had happened.

It's my opinion that it was a practical joke. Pretty juvenile but it takes all sorts.

It's no joke

I would of thought that something as serious as a broken rig would have checked and confirmed by whoever was posting information on websites would do there homework properly. There are several cock ups with this years race surrounding this fine yachties progress, check in times, finish times and all sorts of innuendo.

from Sailonline

Russell Runt 2010

CONGRATULATIONS to NZL_WairuaExpress and Open Country for coming 8th in Division Five and to NZL_YachtYakka who was sailing with Edwin Delaat (14yrs old) in Crac-a-Jac for coming 13th in the same division.

During the course of the race the organisers received word that Crac-a-Jac had lost its rig, this was confirmed and the Coastguard informed.. it was however a FALSE report!! Could it be the anti-young -sailors brigade were up to their tricks?

In any event, this pic, copyright Margaret Dijkhuis at SailWorld shows Crac-a-Jac happily tied up in Russell:

post-971-141887169262.jpg

If that is the only mistake I made in an absolutely huge day of reporting on the race and assisting media, then I think I did pretty well.

Steve if there are cock ups in Edwin's reporting in times etc perhaps you could tell us about them - you can email ccinfo@coastalclassic.co.nz, or myself, you have my details, and we'll try to sort it out.

As you know we've been very supportive of Edwin. As you say he is a fine young sailor to achieve a two handed Coastal at age 14 (I didn't even get to the startline the year I tried) and credit to both of you for finishing and doing well in your division.

Zoe

It wasn't a cock up.

Well, you can only report the information that's provided and if its confirmed its a pretty reasonable call to report the information as given. Pity some bugger with a weird sense of humour fed false information. Thought maybe the boys on Crac-a-Jac had been blessed by the rig dropping spells of young J Harkin. :twisted:

Thought it was a bit odd that Crac-a-Jac posted a progress time for Flat Rock and commented on it at the time. Oh well, glad to hear they didn't drop their rig and that all is well.

Surely this is not a lot different to the false VHF message that was broadcast from the Hen & Chicks area last year which was then the subject of an investigation? Given that the cellphone number should be available from the text message, I would be passing it on to the authorities...what is funny about falsely reporting that a boat has sustained significant damage? :eh:

Archived