Yammy 15

HI can someone please talk me into or out of a Yammy 4 stroke 15hp.... leaning towards a Yammy 2 stroke 15....for a Zodiac tender.

Wifes put on few pounds and the 9.9 just isnt doing it for me anymore

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Veladare said:

Wifes put on few pounds

Talking a dead man into something seems a bit futile. 

I have a merc 2 stroke 15. It’s heavy enough to lug around the boat, and I’m not really a fan of putting it on the pushpit bracket because of the weight of it. 

yammy short shaft 15hp 2 stroke, 36kg

yammy short shaft 15hp 4 stroke 50(!!!!!)kg

To me the question is how will you store it, how often will you take it off the dinghy, how often will you need to lift it. If you can work with the weight of 4-st, then yeah sure, go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, mattm said:

To me the question is how will you store it, how often will you take it off the dinghy, how often will you need to lift it. If you can work with the weight of 4-st, then yeah sure, go for it. 

Veladare is a fairly comfy fountain pajot which I'd guess has space to lift the dinghy between the transoms/behind the cockpit. This hopefully means Tom doesn't need to remove the outboard from the dinghy? 

I've had some experience with a 3.5m Southern Pacific and a 9.9 and it would quite happily plane 3 up. Possibly the answer here depends on the size/weight of the dinghy too? 

Hmm  yea 50kg is probably a bridge to far. No wont be removing it. But Ive got really poxy wheels which love wet sand more than I, so weight is def a factor.

Prob bit unfair to blame the wife... the kids are slowly packing on the pounds as well......

Tender is a monster Zodiac... the previous one and the 9.9 worked well, but it died of old age after a very long innings, new tender much heavier

What ever you do,dont buy Johnson/evinrude both gone like Holden.Gone going end of year by all accounts.

2 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Not only Murcurys ;)

Possibly  yammy as our local merc guy is also a yammy guy

I got a new American Mercury15hp 2 stroke. Its the one with the gear shift on the tiller, they are an old cross flow design still being made and sold, not the rebranded tohatsu. Very smooth, quiet and easy to start. Can handle low speed running too. Lightest 15hp available from memory. Well worth a look.

3 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

I got a new American Mercury15hp 2 stroke. Its the one with the gear shift on the tiller, they are an old cross flow design still being made and sold, not the rebranded tohatsu. Very smooth, quiet and easy to start. Can handle low speed running too. Lightest 15hp available from memory. Well worth a look.

Where did you get a new one from? I've got a 15yo one that is just awesome and want to get a another one so I've got a backup.

6 hours ago, Adrianp said:

Where did you get a new one from? I've got a 15yo one that is just awesome and want to get a another one so I've got a backup.

The engine came from Marineworkz in 2016

https://www.marineworkz.co.nz/

This is a bit of a blurb about the engines, they are quite unique

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/shortshaft-mercury-15-8840/

This is the 3rd new and newish Mercury I have owned in the last few years, including a late model 4 stroke. If buying again I would go straight for Mercury, very impressed with their quality and running performance, nothing like the engines of old.

This link is the tohatsu one, bu they had some american ones as well, 10 KG lighter. Call them and see . https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-2700670681.htm?rsqid=238e575a11c4425cb4cff190a9523495-001

I have an old one. Been/is a great motor....

This is the one, you can see the gear select on the tiller. Hard to find now though...they finished production a year or so ago. Shame.

240-15HP-TwoStroke_Zoom_3qtr_Port-Aft_me

I had a yammy 4T 15hp and it was awesome .  Very easy to start ,  very easy to service yourself , very good customer service at the dealers .

mine came from Canada on a cruising boat RIB then spent several years on a commercial flounder netting boat until the float broke  . Flounder dude had nets out and a bung  engine so he bought a new to get his nets in and I got a bargain ....put a new float in and it ran like a clock . Only did 17knots on the back of a 20 foot crabbing skiff but would still do 14knots with 6 adults on board so a fair bit more low range torque than a 2T when loaded up .

did a couple of trips with it out to the poor knights and trolled south to the chicks iand did about 50 miles on 25 litres of fuel a each time . Loved that motor but had to sell it to get Cat3 gear for the leaner