Legasea / Rescue Fish

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy.

https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management

What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then anyone can lease it and sell to ever you like,off the wharf restaurants direct etc not forced to sell to the big players.  Not held to fish for one species.Not answerable to any overseas investor(price has dropped dont want it)what is the contractor to do??land it and get what they can or dump it??Chance to get small fishing back on track.You/me can lease it sublect to msa/moss survey.

Need to get inshore trawlers out and more longliners working.

No brainer policy. Need 60thousand signees but bad timing with covid etc

All the family have signed. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy.

https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management

What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then anyone can lease it and sell to ever you like,off the wharf restaurants direct etc not forced to sell to the big players.  Not held to fish for one species.Not answerable to any overseas investor(price has dropped dont want it)what is the contractor to do??land it and get what they can or dump it??Chance to get small fishing back on track.You/me can lease it sublect to msa/moss survey.

Need to get inshore trawlers out and more longliners working.

No brainer policy. Need 60thousand signees but bad timing with covid etc

All the family have signed. 

Okay, I now know a whole bunch more about the Faroes than I ever thought I would (Faroe ponies, very cool...)  How on earth did you divine that their policy was the genesis of Legasea?  Irrespective, thanks for sending me down the Google hole, very informative!

I is a signatory.

• Upvote 1

A member of the "Legasea" team I have contact with pointed this out to me awhile ago.I never thought "Legasea" would try to get this through.Think it is the most fair way of commercial fishing.Lets those fishing decide on their markets.

Our  current quota system is not working.Where are the kahawai,snapper still hovering around 20% biomass if the qms was working as it should our stocks should be up in the 50% range.Look at crayfish a collapsed resource. but  get crays for export there is a concession in place around Gisborne way which allows comms to take undersize.Not sure what the exact size is.Think it could be 40mm across tail.

Its more than just that HT. Take the orange roughy stocks for example. The fishing companies would have you believe that they have voluntarily stopped fishing for them for the next 2 years. The fact is that for the last 5 years, the average size of the fish has been decreasing (not mature), and now they are UNABLE to catch their "quota". Now they are publishing that the reduction in stock is due to "Global Warming". This despite the fact that they have 3+ massive modern fishing boats fishing the spawning area 24x7. 

Also, currently, Trident, who are fully owned by the 3 largest fishing companies, are the leading contender to put cameras on the boats if/when it becomes law to have them. 

The large fishing co's have bought virtually all the quota, and the small boats are mostly gone. The large fishing co's are also making substantial investments outside the industry, while in a supermarket in Chch this week, Blue Cod was $70 per Kilo!

The entire industry is a rort, and needs a complete revamp.

Please everyone, sign the petition if you want your kids to be able to catch a fish. Get your family and friends to sign as well, 60,000 signatures needed.

Dont forget Hoki as well IT.    Before anyone starts banging its reccs doing damage,we have taken hit after hit on snapper in the SNA1(north cape to east cape)No limit  27cm down to 15 at 27cm down to 9 at 27cm down to 7 at 30cm. Comms still allowed 25cm as its too costly to change cod end of nets. I say one size for all.Kingfish was 5 at 70cm now 3 at 75cm comms 65cm.

Latest is blue cod 1/7/202 33cm except sna1 still 30cm

Cameras ,Yes trident was t install and industry was get footage,MPI could obtain if there was a problem but not for publics eye.

If Karl Warr can do it so can industry https://www.betterfish.co

So KM, you are saying that due to corruption, it's not worth trying one of the only ways we have to try to remedy this?

Its that type of attitude that allowed it to get to this stage.

Its not going to be easy, but most things worth doing are hard.

KMM If this goes ahead,those currently fishing for a quota holder and being told exactly what size species/species is required and the price they will get are forced to dump wrong species/size.If the contractor lands wrong fish etc they may get instead of $4.50 kg suddenly get $1.80kg + need to find someone with quota,example of what is currently happening.

If those who are currently working for a quota holder,under this proposal there is no quota holder.The person with the vessel can lease tonnage directly and decide what species etc they will target.Sell to who ever.There would be added value.Example I could sell direct of vessel at wharf to you ,whole snapper say $8.00kg could fillet for you and sell at $12.00kg instead of you buying at supermarket of $44.00kg its a winner.Instead of catching 3 ton I might only need 1200kg selling direct I get the whole $8.00kg instead of the $4.50.

Just a basic run down.Cameras are to identify what is coming over the side what is being wasted,then log catche books can be checked against footage.Not you having a pee or puff.

There was a case off tasmania the "geelong star"denied every bit of catching a whaleshark + dolphins,somehow the footage was obtained and the vessel left tassie and is now working under a different flag off the coast of africe.And it has/had a well known kiwi businessman operating/shares in her.Simunovich fishing co.

Knot me,they did not pay 1 single cent for quota at the beginning of QSM,their allocation was based on catch reports,those who falsified reports got little quota. The govt gets nothing from sale of quota between fisherman. Its like buying selling houses,govt gets nil.only time any money is passed on to govt is when one exceeds catch limits and they get a deemed value charge,so its not landed its dumped and if landed they pay a conservation fee of around $1.10 per tonne depending on species.

These are facts and general public have no idea what goes on,all Joe Blogs knows is the price in  the shop for 5 day old fish.

Need to do some homework KMM

Could not disagree more KM. All the info you are asking for is on the legasea  website.  https://legasea.co.nz/
here is an outline of the issues, written by a friend of mine - who was a small quota owner.

The damage large corporate commercial fishing industry have done to our fisheries.

With approx 85% of quota controlled by 4 large fishing companies & IWI, who in turn lease a large amount of their quota back to these large corporates, they have an iron tight grip on over $3 billion NZ dollars of asset that is still owned by NZ’ers.

NZ Seafood Industry Council (NZSF) is a collective of quota owners & they have their own scientific organisation, Trident Systems, owned by 13 commercial fishing companies, which tenders for Govt funding (from QMS management fees paid by Quota owners) to provide approx half the science now that influences Govt QMS management decisions. This science used to be independently provides by NIWA & other Govt non partisan sources, but another example how NZSF interests have further imbedded themselves in fisheries management processes.

NZSF have a huge marketing budget to counter negative publicity of the wasteful and corrupt practices of their industry. Sinclair’s TV show is one of their advertising initiatives,  using a former recreational fishing champion’s brand to create a positive narrative about the commerial sector. Their financial influence is so great their  marketing budget prevented TVNZ showing LegaSea’s documentary on “Rescuing Fisheries”, the negative light is showed commercial sector in would have risked receiving NZSF’s advertising budget.

Commercial control of our fisheries doesnt end with TVNZ, subsequent poor Govt Minister decisions, lead by an incompetent Public Service’s Fisheries management & political influence, particularly with NZ First via campaign contributions and public apathy (out of mind out of sight) continue to ensure NZSF’s continue control our NZ Fisheries.

Some facts Commercial dont like us to talk about, as they continue to steadily decimated NZ fisheries: 
a) Since 2000 they now export 90% of all NZ fish caught
b) Recreational catch is less than 5% of all fish caught 
c) Recreational catch is 20% of total inshore fisheries (12mile) of which most is snapper & Kawahai
d) Total commercial fisheries biomass is less than 30% now than when the QMS was introduced & now the Govt is looking at a “soft” target minimum biomass of 20%
e) Dumping will continue until camera on every trawler, it was promised by National, now Labour but blocked by NZ First, Shayne Jones is quoted as saying “I wont throw commercial under the bus”. Best explained by memo leaked from
Former MPI of Fisheries Manager, Dave Turner (who Ive worked with on ministry fisheries board) “If we introduce camera’s half of the inshore fisherie’s fleet will be broke within a year”. Why? Because they cant dump unwanted FISH

There is so much we know about, all demonstrating that our current fisheries managment system, the “QMS” is a failed experiment that is failing not just in NZ but around the world.

So how do we change?

Political influence is only chance we have of change, politicians first priority is to get into power, their next priority is to stay in power. With over 600,000 people in NZ we are a powerful voting lobby but we need a unified voice. 

The largest single group of recreational fishers in NZ is the NZ Sport Fishing Council with well over 40 affiliated clubs. They created the recreational lobby group LegaSea to support recreational fishers in influencing political change. 

Commercial Fishing Ind have maintained control of our fisheries because they are united, organised & well funded. Politicians made this mess, only they can fix it & this is how we can do it.

LegaSea have a public campaign to change the QMS. Their goals are aligned with those of this page. They have launched a national campain callee “Rescuing Fisheries”. There are a series of videos and presentation, scientific evidence and a potential solution for NZ Govt to adopt, IF we can make enough political pressure. 

To create this all we need to do it visit the LegaSea FB page or their website: www.legasea.co.nz. 

Just add your name and email & click done!  Get your family to this, your wife & kids over 18, we have 3 months to go to help stop the destruction of our inshore fisheries.

Why do I care & what do I know?

Former member of NZ Seafood & a small inshore quota holder.

Former president of one NZUA’s larger Dive Clubs in NZ

Former Commodore of Mana Cruising Club

Minister appointed as Wgtn region representative on a fisheries management board for 5yrs. Sat along side Talleys representive, met with MPI, Minister Nathan Guy, Minister Nick Smith, seen the science, seen the incompetence & lack of ministerial duty of care.

Represented our region again under current NZ Fisheries head Dan Bolger’s initiative, sat with 120 MPI fisheries officers for a day in a working group with other recreational & commercial stake holders. Saw how individually isolated & uninformed these people are that we as tax payers employ to manage our fisheries. 

While there this is MPI who are unhappy with our fisheries management & Govt failure to act responsibly,  we shouldnt be surprised as whistle blowers in the Public Service lose their jobs. What chance do they have against a commercial fishing industry elite controlling over $3 billion dollars of NZ’ers fisheries. The Seafood Council have the money, time, resources & political influence to retain the status quo, I still know some of them and be rest assured they will do their utmost to prevent change. 

We need work together as a recreational fishers. Sign LegaSea’s petition please, I have & it costs nothing but 2 min of your time.

Footnote: Be clear fault with our fisheries management system does not lie with commercial fisherman, most of them dont even own their own quota, they are told what to catch & where. This is the very small business people whose lively hood is threatened by Govt mismanagement & corporate greed. 

The fault lies squarely with the big quota holders, all Govts since the introduction of the QMS in the 80’s & most importantly, by a very badly managed and mandated Public Service group which started as Ministry of Fisheries, was rolled into MPI with Agriculture under Nationala Minister Guy, the Labour Minister Nash split off again to Fisheries NZ but each time they lost institutional knowledge. Interestingly the same political crawling upper management have climbed the public service ladder and have no intention of changing as their just gets harder.

Think about the fact that since introduced in 1986, bottom trawling, bottom dredging and other bulk harvesting capture technology has barely changed, we still have industry est of 10 to 15% fisheries biomass wastage/loss & environmental damage from these archaic methods, yet boats a larger & electronic fishing technology like Wasp & other 3D & forward view sonar systems ensure more effective harvesting of a hugely depleted natural resource. 

Why didnt corporate fisheries invest in new harvesting technology & implement it? Because there was no demand from Govt’s to make change. 

Another example of respective Govt management, why are their quota allocations still in ther market were quota owners cant catch their limit? Its not because they dont want to,its because there isnt the fish to catch, so any reasonable management strategy would be to lower the catch limit to below the last catch record, to allow the fishery to recover.

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

No idea what your disagreeing with but that's not unusual these days.

Leases website, where is this thing you mention?

I think ya mates stumbled on a CC mitigation assistance without knowing it.  He reckons catching excess biomass is bad but the IPCC reckon biomass is one of the things to use to reduce CO2. Biomass production is also worth freaking moonbeams. Is someone missing a potential link that while still not ideal could benefit the planet?

I hope I have misinterpreted this post KM. In lieu of a sensible argument,  are you suggesting that the reduction of the biomass of fish is good? This is a valuable food stock, apart from its obvious diversity and part of the natural balance of the planets fauna and flora. I hope it was another flippant comment:-)

Watch TV3 tonight, 4.50pm, The Price of Fish.....

• Upvote 1