Legasea / Rescue Fish

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

I hope I have misinterpreted this post KM. In lieu of a sensible argument,  are you suggesting that the reduction of the biomass of fish is good? This is a valuable food stock, apart from its obvious diversity and part of the natural balance of the planets fauna and flora. I hope it was another flippant comment:-)

Watch TV3 tonight, 4.50pm, The Price of Fish.....

26th july I think you will find??

"The Price of Fish" The Documentary TV3 Sunday 26th at 4.50pm
Look for it.

And if anyone gets this email from mpi beaware it has commercial ties or at least the promoter has. Fish4al wants you to download an app.This app if used possibly will give comms ammo,look its not us but the reccs doing the damage.On good advice from a legasea team member why should we log our details of where how or how many caught when we do not know what comms catch/dump true records are.

Department of Conservation: Fishing Survey

Dear Fishers,

forward to friend and this is part of reply I got. 

– ex long time leader at WWF, sits very comfortably now making a living from commercial fishing companies with he partner in business

Km biomass is very important part of the equation .As for bycatch under the proposal there is no bycatch all fish must landed. You must understand "Legasea" is non profit organisation which relies on generous sponsors and donations.There is world of knowledge within and is mostly a volunteer group of like minded persons who want what is best practice to leave stock for furture generations

Unlike "Sanfords" and Co who spring up on TV with ads"we only take this much" The commercial sector runs these ads when ever an advocacy group has something over them or knows the truth is going to be expose.

Well worth a listen KM infact all.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/07/scrutinising-our-fisheries-quota-regulatory-system.html?fbclid=IwAR1WJ8MFlwq18cUAGR5tL5h_mrfIFfNImQ6CMUEF9JDxR3Rm5wuKgK294DE

10% of 100% biomass is a lot more than 10% of the last 20% of a biomass.

Until fishing companies start increasing the biomass of a fishery, and then start fishing it, they are just talking sh*t and trying to get their hands on the last little bit by any means they can.

• Upvote 1

🐟#NZUnderWaterAssociation #ThePriceOfFish

We are really excited about the launch of Wild TV's documentary The Price Of Fish. It will air on TV3 Sunday 26th July at 4.50 pm. The documentary investigates the issues we face within our current fisheries management system (The QMS) and gives the people of New Zealand a better understanding as to why it is not working. The Price Of Fish is a must-watch and represents three years in the making. 🐟 #NZUnderWaterAssociation #ThePriceOfFish

This thing was creating a shed load of light pollution anchored on our remote bit of coast last night .

looking at its track its most likely been targeting Tarakihi . That area is the local” go to “ Tarakihi spot in winter 

976F768B-F044-47B1-95B1-4746CFF223B8.png

622DD428-93E9-4C4D-BB4A-937C20C58649.jpeg

I don't understand where all the fish goes.

We like fish but in our family only eat it at most once per week. Most of our friends are similar if less frequent e.g. once in 2 weeks.

When I go to a 'normal' restaurant (not focused on seafood) it seems that the majority of people sitting around me are eating meat or veg dishes with maybe fish being chosen by 1:3 or 1:4 diners?

And at the supermarket the fish counter seems to be the quietest counter with usually the deli or meat counters busier.

I admit all of my comments above are based on personal, unscientific observation and might be way out..... but it just doesn't feel like people are gorging themselves of fish 5 nights a week for example.

So where does it all go?

And if I stopped buying my 1 or 2 weekly fish dinner would I be helping the situation or making it worse?

Finally a fine worthy of a mention.Not a wet bus ticket thats for sure.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/sealord-ordered-forfeit-24-million-vessel-bottom-trawling-in-protected-area?fbclid=IwAR3y8tPNskRaCcU3HC0-s-Ne0b-CxGtGfAs3jmLA6xR4Bai2H2_TX6agJeY

Sealord has today been ordered to forfeit a $24 million fishing vessel for bottom trawling in a protected area.

• Upvote 1

I don't get this excuse - the ability to geo-fence something in the marine environment via a basic chartplotter  via  a polygon and various waypoints has existed for years. Seems like a cop out to me.

Bit of a Claytons forfeiture

Sealord will be applying to the court to have the vessel returned, but during the meantime have been permitted to use it in the normal course of their fishing operations.

"As Ocean Dawn has been forfeited to the Crown, we will now apply to the court to have the vessel returned to us. In the meantime, we are permitted to use her in the normal course of our fishing operations."

Once again, KM, you don't vote, apparently because in your opinion it wont change anything, you don't support this attempt to change the current decimation of our fisheries, cause it wont change anything, and your post above is cryptic.

I really cant see why you bother to post. Your post wont change anything...

• Upvote 1

Not hard to call for change,discuss with work mates get them to sign,its not just fish,birds/penguins etc even those that dont fish can help. The fish belong to You and I. as said before they got quota for free,what other resource can /did you get for free and trading it for huge profit and not benefiting NZ??

Not going to happen today tomorrow but enough pressure it will happen,as the Faroe islands stated the lease/profit runs their healthcare win for all.

• Upvote 1