Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy.

https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management

What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then anyone can lease it and sell to ever you like,off the wharf restaurants direct etc not forced to sell to the big players.  Not held to fish for one species.Not answerable to any overseas investor(price has dropped dont want it)what is the contractor to do??land it and get what they can or dump it??Chance to get small fishing back on track.You/me can lease it sublect to msa/moss survey.

Need to get inshore trawlers out and more longliners working.

No brainer policy. Need 60thousand signees but bad timing with covid etc

All the family have signed. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many of you have signed the petition? If we ant any fish left at all, the quota system needs to be dumped and replaced. Oversight must be removed from the fishing companies. Cameras on fishing boa

This is a political thread. Consistency please, move this one as well.

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy. https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management   What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then

Posted Images

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy.

https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management

What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then anyone can lease it and sell to ever you like,off the wharf restaurants direct etc not forced to sell to the big players.  Not held to fish for one species.Not answerable to any overseas investor(price has dropped dont want it)what is the contractor to do??land it and get what they can or dump it??Chance to get small fishing back on track.You/me can lease it sublect to msa/moss survey.

Need to get inshore trawlers out and more longliners working.

No brainer policy. Need 60thousand signees but bad timing with covid etc

All the family have signed. 

Okay, I now know a whole bunch more about the Faroes than I ever thought I would (Faroe ponies, very cool...)  How on earth did you divine that their policy was the genesis of Legasea?  Irrespective, thanks for sending me down the Google hole, very informative!

I is a signatory.

A member of the "Legasea" team I have contact with pointed this out to me awhile ago.I never thought "Legasea" would try to get this through.Think it is the most fair way of commercial fishing.Lets those fishing decide on their markets.

Our  current quota system is not working.Where are the kahawai,snapper still hovering around 20% biomass if the qms was working as it should our stocks should be up in the 50% range.Look at crayfish a collapsed resource. but  get crays for export there is a concession in place around Gisborne way which allows comms to take undersize.Not sure what the exact size is.Think it could be 40mm across tail.

Its more than just that HT. Take the orange roughy stocks for example. The fishing companies would have you believe that they have voluntarily stopped fishing for them for the next 2 years. The fact is that for the last 5 years, the average size of the fish has been decreasing (not mature), and now they are UNABLE to catch their "quota". Now they are publishing that the reduction in stock is due to "Global Warming". This despite the fact that they have 3+ massive modern fishing boats fishing the spawning area 24x7. 

Also, currently, Trident, who are fully owned by the 3 largest fishing companies, are the leading contender to put cameras on the boats if/when it becomes law to have them. 

The large fishing co's have bought virtually all the quota, and the small boats are mostly gone. The large fishing co's are also making substantial investments outside the industry, while in a supermarket in Chch this week, Blue Cod was $70 per Kilo!

The entire industry is a rort, and needs a complete revamp.

Please everyone, sign the petition if you want your kids to be able to catch a fish. Get your family and friends to sign as well, 60,000 signatures needed.

Dont forget Hoki as well IT.    Before anyone starts banging its reccs doing damage,we have taken hit after hit on snapper in the SNA1(north cape to east cape)No limit  27cm down to 15 at 27cm down to 9 at 27cm down to 7 at 30cm. Comms still allowed 25cm as its too costly to change cod end of nets. I say one size for all.Kingfish was 5 at 70cm now 3 at 75cm comms 65cm.

Latest is blue cod 1/7/202 33cm except sna1 still 30cm

Cameras ,Yes trident was t install and industry was get footage,MPI could obtain if there was a problem but not for publics eye.

If Karl Warr can do it so can industry https://www.betterfish.co

Isn't the petition a waste of time when the fishing industry OWN the Deputy PM, Ministers and a good handful of MP's?

Also is it lazy fishers or fishers under huge cost pressures forcing some to engage in shonky practices? The dudes pulling fish over the rials get f*ck all compared to everyone else so maybe it's a simple case of taking the masses of ticket clippers out of the system. People not scrambling for the next $1 do have more time to think about how they do their job and what they do or don't have to keep.

A lot of the smaller boats were bailing out due to the cameras. Not so much for being watched for their catch but for things like having a pee over the side, not wearing a life jacket, not taking a 15min break every whatever and silly stuff like that. "Hello, We're from MPI and Worksafe. Pleased to say MPI are proud you catch only big fish but it we did see you smoking in a work vehicle, that's why Mr Worksafe is here with a fine of $10,000 for you". That is a real and genuine fear based on actual actions taken.

So KM, you are saying that due to corruption, it's not worth trying one of the only ways we have to try to remedy this?

Its that type of attitude that allowed it to get to this stage.

Its not going to be easy, but most things worth doing are hard.

KMM If this goes ahead,those currently fishing for a quota holder and being told exactly what size species/species is required and the price they will get are forced to dump wrong species/size.If the contractor lands wrong fish etc they may get instead of $4.50 kg suddenly get $1.80kg + need to find someone with quota,example of what is currently happening.

If those who are currently working for a quota holder,under this proposal there is no quota holder.The person with the vessel can lease tonnage directly and decide what species etc they will target.Sell to who ever.There would be added value.Example I could sell direct of vessel at wharf to you ,whole snapper say $8.00kg could fillet for you and sell at $12.00kg instead of you buying at supermarket of $44.00kg its a winner.Instead of catching 3 ton I might only need 1200kg selling direct I get the whole $8.00kg instead of the $4.50.

Just a basic run down.Cameras are to identify what is coming over the side what is being wasted,then log catche books can be checked against footage.Not you having a pee or puff.

There was a case off tasmania the "geelong star"denied every bit of catching a whaleshark + dolphins,somehow the footage was obtained and the vessel left tassie and is now working under a different flag off the coast of africe.And it has/had a well known kiwi businessman operating/shares in her.Simunovich fishing co.

Fine as long as the lease costs do not just replace the quota costs. What protections are there a Govt struggling for coin just doesn't say 'Lease is $10 per kg'? As we have seen Govts have no problem charging above and beyond when they know they are a monopoly. Sure under this Govt not much will change as it's been brought off but what if the Fishos can't buy the Govt. What's the plans there?

I think you need to speak to some of the small fisherman to see how they see the cameras. Also ask around to see what the cameras have already generate and if any involve Worksafe. The cameras are why many smaller one and 2 man boats, who can be very selective in their catch, are bailing out. There is also a cost factor, it is significant, again due to government allowing ticket clippers. In theory you're correct, in practice maybe not so much.

Sure things need to change but I'm seeing a bit of rose tinted glasses short on key detail..... which is not to say it's not out there even if it's not in this thread.