BEP regulator

Does anyone have any information on these BEP voltage regulators? I have one installed on the boat and it appears to be working OK but i'd like to check the installation is correct. Connection is via a 8 pin terminal block.

BEPreg.jpg

Yes, alternator. The boat is a 1984 Farr with a Lees marine BMC Captain and 55A Ingram alternator so the regulator is probably 90's vintage. There are no visible model or serial numbers. I'll remove it over the weekend and see if there is anything on the back. Connections are via a moulded 8 terminal connector (spade type). I can trace the wiring and the obvious connections are there but what is confusing is for example there are 2 connections green and purple running back to the battery negative post..

The connection tracing began when i had no charge on running the engine last weekend, that problem has been solved being a failed instrument panel bulb breaking the excitation cct. 

10 hours ago, Platinum said:

Yes, alternator. The boat is a 1984 Farr with a Lees marine BMC Captain and 55A Ingram alternator so the regulator is probably 90's vintage. There are no visible model or serial numbers. I'll remove it over the weekend and see if there is anything on the back. Connections are via a moulded 8 terminal connector (spade type). I can trace the wiring and the obvious connections are there but what is confusing is for example there are 2 connections green and purple running back to the battery negative post..

The connection tracing began when i had no charge on running the engine last weekend, that problem has been solved being a failed instrument panel bulb breaking the excitation cct. 

had one of those 2 regulators ago, you are lucky it has lasted this long.

For your installation I would look at one of these https://www.smartregulator.co.nz/

alot cheaper than the overseas units 

The smartregs are ok, and I usually have one in stock. However, there is no alternator or battery temp sensor ability,  so this is an entry level regulator. It's not suitable for  a non hot rated alternator (like the Ingram above) connected to a large battery bank, where it may be expected to run at high output for long periods. The alt will melt down....

12 hours ago, Island Time said:

The smartregs are ok, and I usually have one in stock. However, there is no alternator or battery temp sensor ability,  so this is an entry level regulator. It's not suitable for  a non hot rated alternator (like the Ingram above) connected to a large battery bank, where it may be expected to run at high output for long periods. The alt will melt down....

Agree with all that but I would not expect a Farr 38 to have a very large battery bank, maybe 210ahr so the alternator would not be running at full output for long

Have you come across one of these yet: http://wakespeed.com/products.html, claimed to operate rather better than the Balmar regs

Thanks for the upgrade suggestions but at this stage we'll persevere with the old but working system, keen to understand and get the best out of it though. As with most 80's boats there is a lot of kit in the queue for replacement....

Email fresh in from BEP, looks like an ER3 (3 stage) regulator and i have some limited paperwork if anyone else needs it.. looks like the Green/purple negative lug contains some form of temperature probe You live and learn, i've only had the boat 18 years!

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 12.28.49.png

Cool. Impressive response from BEP to ‘support’ such an old device. I imagine lots of companies would ignore your request or point out the obsolescence etc. My recent experience with marine electrical & electronic equipment is that new isn’t always better. I’ve had plenty of brand new kit fail within 12-24 months. Like you said if it’s still working it’s worth persevering. Just make sure you have a plan B if it does let go in the middle of your summer cruise in a remote location!

Hi, I have one of these in my boat as well. It seems to be dead...sadly.  I've had some alternator issues.
Does anyone know if they have a fuse inside them ?  If yes...hopefully its blown.......

Update: I can confirm that there is no fuse inside the BEP Reg.

Platinum...any chance that you can send me the paperwork you have from BEP  ?

Cheers all.

On 20/07/2020 at 12:35 PM, Platinum said:

Email fresh in from BEP, looks like an ER3 (3 stage) regulator and i have some limited paperwork if anyone else needs it.. looks like the Green/purple negative lug contains some form of temperature probe You live and learn, i've only had the boat 18 years!

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 12.28.49.png

Hi, wondering if you still have the information and could send on?

I can't help with the BEP regulator sadly, but now that the question of regulators has come up... hope nobody minds me adding to thread- I have a Yanmar 3gm and its alternator goes through a Transpo IB301a regulator. It has a tricky little potentiometer screw to adjust the voltage. Tricky because the slightest alteration seems to alter the voltage quite a lot!

At the moment it is set to 14.5V. I  have a starting battery with a 80 amp hour house battery, with a VSR.

Question, -1.  is 14.5 the appropriate voltage, or do I need to increase it?

2. Can I charge a lead acid battery and an AGM battery off the same alternator, or would I be better to match to type of batteries - ie both lead acid.

Thanks

2 hours ago, alibaba said:

I can't help with the BEP regulator sadly, but now that the question of regulators has come up... hope nobody minds me adding to thread- I have a Yanmar 3gm and its alternator goes through a Transpo IB301a regulator. It has a tricky little potentiometer screw to adjust the voltage. Tricky because the slightest alteration seems to alter the voltage quite a lot!

At the moment it is set to 14.5V. I  have a starting battery with a 80 amp hour house battery, with a VSR.

Question, -1.  is 14.5 the appropriate voltage, or do I need to increase it?

2. Can I charge a lead acid battery and an AGM battery off the same alternator, or would I be better to match to type of batteries - ie both lead acid.

Thanks

Question one. Read the PDS for the specific make and model of the batts, it will have min and max charge voltages in it, for both Bulk/Absorbtion and Float.

Question 2. Depends. Read the PDS for both batteries and see if the required voltages given there match each other.

Unasked question - Dont rely one what anyone online says, or even your local marine sparky. Read the manufacturer's PDS.