Boat Dilemma

19 minutes ago, splat said:

C'mon KM you know apart from the C/B case the rest is foam and a very thin layer of glass plus tabbing and fillets ..I'd argue it weighs bugger all. Besides why have we never seen a photo of the interior of the elusive reptile? Crump might want to see what a modern interior interpretation of a 930 like think looks like. Pics or it never happened!

Yeah pics !     Last ones you posted were of some dubious looking rudders about 3 years ago 

2 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Yeah but then they can do this, coastal 2014, our very average 930 half an hour in front of the first S34 and 2 hours in front of the first Y88 and look at the boats behind us....

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't shared a couple of these vids with the crew for "inspiration". Imagine how far behind the D28 would be! 😄

Here's the thing though, I only have a couple of years sailing under my belt and I have the most keel boat racing experience out of my crew. My crew pool is a couple dinghy sailors, a couple of solid cruisers, and a mix of new sailors. They are all doing great and are an awesome bunch to sail with but we're still building basic competence with things like the kite work, race starts and so on. I want to move up a generation so we're actually in the race and myself and the crew can grow, but honestly I think a hotted up 930 is going to be more race boat that we can do justice for now. Am I wrong?

The other side is that half my time on the boat is spent with my kids or newbie crew that I'm teaching. The D28 may be slow but she's pretty confidence inspiring and she's well kitted out to make people feel at home. Currently I sail a newbie crew on Saturday and we putt about making fancy coffee and have beer cooling in the freezer. I can sail it solo while my kids devour all the snacks downstairs. On Sunday the race crew arrives and we sail hard and fast... well... it's all relative! 😅 Well also have fancy things like the ability to stand to wash your hands in the bathroom and a door which might seem excessive but the girls seem to like.

Scarlet (and I presume the other competitive 930's) is very small up front, and stripped just about naked for racing at the moment. I'm just not going to run the boat like that most of the time. If I could run two boats then sure... that 930 blasting downwind looks aaaaawesome. I think I'm going to have to compromise though!

That said, I've never actually sailed on one so maybe I'm wrong. The things I have been on for points of reference include my D28, the squadron's Elliot 7 and MRX fleets, Wagstaff 40, Ross 1066, Sunburst, and a scattering of other boats.

5 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Is that a centercase still in Ballistic?

If you think she is open mine would come as a shock. A photo taken from the same place would look just the same as long as you removed the case, galley, cupboards, nav station, shelves, light fitting, wood trim, squabs, warning sign, leecloths, lectronics panel, 50% of the dome nuts and widen the gap between the bunk fronts a fair bit. You can leave the paint and windows.....and add in some substantial ribs around the top of the keel plus a slightly bigger box under the bulkhead opening which contains part of our MMBU system and a small bilge pump.

I do like that wood trim, it finishes it off so much nicer than my seafog on seafog on seafog. I have considered throwing some clashing on for the aesthetics but never found the time.

Sounds like the way Scarlet is currently. Seafog sounds heavy though.

3 hours ago, raz88 said:

One other point going back to the original post - the whiting 29 that's come up in your racetrack search is a slow one.

Ah cool, that was just the class rating off this page: http://racetrack.org.nz/select_class.php. Thanks for all the thoughts in your posts here too. 

Comment on the pricing of Y88's was just after looking at TradeMe. Maybe they are being a bit optimistic there? They seem like a nice fit for what I want to do without taking the budget way up.

Hi Crump

We are definitely spoiled for choice in NZ when it comes to a broad and diverse bunch of slightly older but great value 8-10 metre boats.

88 disciples are of course biased towards Jim's amazing design and you could pick up a decent 88 for anything between $20 and $70k in the last 12 months. The price reflects the age and upkeep of the gear.

We have owners of all sorts of ages and experience and run events to match. Feel free to get in touch with the association https://www.young88.org.nz/about/committee/

The association has to be strict about enforcing the class rules to try and keep racing fair and costs down (no easy thing!!) so make sure that you check a boats measurement/certification status/potential with the owner and the class measurer if you are buying with the intention of doing class racing.

We can refer you to some of our recent new owners if you want to get their feedback and compare notes.

Good luck

Mike Leyland

11 minutes ago, Young Entertainer said:

if you want the security of a solid boat with ability to race and keep up,  budget allowing go for a 1020,  will do both well,  better cruising boat than an 88 due to its volume yet still plenty to race with and being class boats only need a couple of sails

I'm having  budget conversation now. Not many 1020's on the market currently, any idea of typical price range?

I don't hear much about the Beale 33 but there a couple active on racetrack at least. Where do they sit in the scheme of things?

(Yes I'm exploring all options up and down the budget range. Looking for a boat I can commit to for a good few years now)

One big advantage not mentioned of a Y88 or 1020 verses a 930 is a typically a diesel motor and associated reliability, charging capacity/potential and economy. I know a few 930's have diesels but they are rare. As with any boat purchase you would want to check or have checked the mechanical health of a diesel carefully or be prepared to spend $$$.  I know a recent 1020 purchase as presented the new owner with some expensive motor issues. 

• Upvote 1

Yup, fortunately I've been through one boat already so have a little more idea what I'm looking at.

Just to head off the impending debate... yes I'm aware both the diesel and outboard both have their pros and cons 😄

14 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

I'd say the complete oppersite but then I prefer yachts over motor sailors ;)

Speaking of which

When was the last time your 930 yacht sailed or do you prefer them on the back lawn ?

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Jon said:

Speaking of which

When was the last time your 930 yacht sailed or do you prefer them on the back lawn ?

He's started referring to a 'classic' he now owns. I thought it was a bit of a stretch referring to a heavily modified 930 as a classic, but it has been being 'restored' for long enough to qualify for membership with the classic yacht association...

40 minutes ago, Jon said:

Speaking of which

Which engine type is better for trolling? 🙄

Had a peek at a Lidgard Demon 10 too. Lots of options.

The old classic carbon 930

never actually seen one on the water, perhaps that’s where they perform best

Demon 10 is a nice boat, you will pay a premium for a class boat, but then it will also be easier to sell

there isn’t the perfect boat crump so the best you can hope for is a boat that’s perfect for now

Beale 33 are great boats, I’ve cruised and raced one and for 50/50 racing cruising I’d go that way over all others in that 10m range

Just now, Knot Me... maybe said:

There maybe a Beale 33 coming up shortly. Owner had plans, got crook, they didn't happen.

From what I'm hearing it may go for a bit of a 'just need it gone' type price.

I'm definitely keeping an eye open. I've had a couple of people through my boat so we'll see how that goes first, what I definitely don't want is two boats at once!

Some good advice in there. Go for a diesel inboard, fibreglass hull & deck ,and above all go for a boat that doesn't need TLC,or work.  You'll soon burn up the price difference and still have a boat worth what you originally  paid.