Larry Pardey

Celebrated bluewater sailor and author Larry Pardey has died. He was 81.

In recent years, Pardey suffered from Parkinson’s and Parkinsonian dementia. He had been confined to a rest home in New Zealand since suffering a stroke last year. Yesterday, his wife Lin announced his passing on her Facebook page:

According to Lin, Larry died peacefully at a rest home where he had been for the past year after suffering a major stroke. “He is now at peace after several years of suffering from Parkinson’s and Parkinsonian dementia,” Lin says. “His memory will always be with me not only because he was a wonderful partner, lover and husband but also because, if anyone can be said to have gained the most from the generous help he was always ready to offer, it was me.”

Should you like to help keep his memory alive, you can make a small donation to help maintain and expand the Larry Pardey Memorial Observatory at the children’s camp here at Kawau Island.

33 minutes ago, Tamure said:

Yes they did and I got to go for a ride on it, btw it has a bath (I kid you not)

Yes, a bath where most boats would have an engine...

If your going to live aboard long term, you do need some treats.

1 hour ago, Tamure said:

No engine haha, now is has an outboard! Anyway its a work of art but almost an affectation in the sense it has all the style cues of what a proper boat should have. Larry built a solid boat, all 8 tons of it before stores!

Spent some time aboard Taliesin and the most unnerving thing was the distinct lack of any cockpit just a wide coaming and very exposed.

42 minutes ago, Fish said:

Next you'll be telling me its a schooner and not a ketch...

Looks like an oar...

What is a yuloh? Is it like a sculling blade for a yacht?

More or less like a sculling oar, it has connections that automatically set the angle of the blade so all you have to do is move it side to side.

We've stayed at thier house on Kawau twice in the last two years.  Its a great spot and the reading material would keep the most ardent yachtie (especially the global cruising variety) engaged for weeks.

Condolences to Lin and all that knew Larry (I was not one of them).