Level 3 in Auckland

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Talkback callers to FoxNews Newstalk ZB this morning have been calling to just let the virus run free, and if you die you die. I don't normally listen to that alt-right talkback crapback on ZB, b

Its so easy to be an armchair critic - you don't have to take into account conflicting needs, the reality of balancing health and business and social and other interests.  You just have to blindly and

C'mon AA it was a move of sheer political genius to invent a global pandemic just in time for the election. 

Posted Images

maybe Eric.  But heres the reality.

Sweden's case rate is over 25 times ours.  You can asume that comes at 25 times the medical cost , lost work time cost etc

Sweden's death rate is almost 100 times ours.

And they are still less than 1% of the way toward herd immunity.

On a simplistic ratio comparison, we would have had 40,000 cases.  At a hospitalisation rate of 6% (https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/proportion-covid-19-hospitalisations-lower-in-nz-than-other-countries) we would have needed beds for 2,400 people over a two-month period.  Each bed costs about $1200 a day assuming its not intensive care (about 10% based on NZ numbers).

Sweden's economy has taken a GDP hit of about 8.5% despite being open for business and the obvious surge in activity in the  death support industry.  NZ's figures are not available yet, but commentary indicates a figure about 1.5 times that.

You are a person who likes to think of themselves as a believer in facts and numbers.  How's those numbers?

The reality is that the path WILL vary from country to country.  What ultimately works for Sweden, an industrial nordic society with strong and geographically close ties to Europe will probably be different to what works here in the far-flung ass-end of the Pacific.  We have different risks, and different exposure profiles.  Our isolation means the rest of the world may NOT be able to emulate us.

That neither makes us absolutely right nor wrong.  We just have unusual circumstances.

Edited by aardvarkash10
On 16/08/2020 at 10:40 AM, erice said:

you've gotta feel for the gov.

the bureaucrats keep letting them down!

jacinda's doing her job, pumping out the lofty rhetoric

her ministers are doing theirs, passing it on to the bureaucrats

now the border people have been told in no uncertain terms to keep covid out - and guess what -  they haven't either!

Ashley Bloomfield, reluctant to criticise either his political masters or health officials, on Monday said there was a “dissonance” between Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s expectation and what was actually happening on the ground.

Ardern on Thursday, at a press conference with Bloomfield, gave assurances workers at quarantine facilities were being tested weekly.

“If you work outside of that [quarantine facilities], it’s a slightly longer rotation but still frequent,” she said.

But it appears this was not correct. Ardern on Monday confirmed the testing wasn’t happening as Cabinet expected.

“We made a Cabinet decision that we should have weekly testing at that facility ... what it appears was happening is that there was testing on a weekly basis, but at this stage I cannot confirm that every single staff member on a weekly [roster] was being picked up,” she said.

A total 130 of the staff at the Jet Park hotel, a quarantine facility in south Auckland, have been tested for Covid-19 this month – amounting to 57 per cent of the workers at the facility.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/122473901/coronavirus-ashley-bloomfield-blames-miscommunication-for-quarantine-testing-confusion

it comes down to competency

where is it? 

why is there always such a disconnect between what the coalition promise and what happens?

are they all dizzy with spin?

are they not asking the right questions, are they not listening to the answers, are they being lied too, are they asking for too much?

why does it keep repeating, repeating, repeating

how many years do they need?

how many years of this can we afford?

maybe the problem is we have slowly developed this piss weak culture where we have more rights than responsibilities and no one can be sacked for refusing to do what they're told?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/122470657/security-and-enforcement-need-to-be-robust

the reality is

the auckland lockdown seems largely over in aucklander's minds

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/aucklanders-attempting-get-away-weekend-turned-around-police-warn

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300088458/coronavirus-helicopter-flight-ferrying-mourners-from-auckland-to-kaikohe-treated-as-a-potential-breach-of-alert-level-3-rules

jacinda + H2 can do with that what they will

will they chose to lead from the head of the herd

or scream from the back?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12358319

Both Government and Opposition have moved away from trying to keep Covid-19 out at all costs.

Protection of the elderly is going to be paramount to avoid the disasters among the 70-plus age group seen in other countries such as Sweden.

would serve NZ better by engaging with those who are expert in human nature to design a strategy capable of retaining public acceptance not just this week and next, but until the end of the decade or beyond.

So how quickly are we going to take until we jump on the latest WHO recommendations?

Seem to be promoting a controlled release along side boosting efforts to fight global warming as the recommended path to dealing with the virus, with a sideshow thrown in.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---21-august-2020

Sensing a bit of a change in the narrative coming up.

Level 3 is a total joke,never been asked to sign in anywhere and do not have the app to scan,only way anyone would know where I have been would be to scan my bank account and look at eftpos trans actions,I travel in too l2 areas daily and go where I like and never signed in anywhere,only person who would know would be my employer looking at gps.

13 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Level 3 is a total joke,never been asked to sign in anywhere and do not have the app to scan,only way anyone would know where I have been would be to scan my bank account and look at eftpos trans actions,I travel in too l2 areas daily and go where I like and never signed in anywhere,only person who would know would be my employer looking at gps.

Well that’s pretty socially responsible of you HT crikey we will have that little flu beaten within days eh.

26 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Do you think you need the government to be more heavy handed and force you to scan everywhere you go? Do you want the police/military to enforce wearing tracking devices or something?