Level 3 in Auckland

OK Guys and Gals- this bloody level 3 lockdown could go on [ and off and on etc] for months. We need to get the powers that be to be a bit more sensible about boating.

The only reason stated to stop recreational boating is that if we went out and got into trouble, the Coastguard volunteers would have to be put at Covid risk to come and

assist us and tow us home etc.

We can do a bit of logical thinking here- IF that's the reason, THEN if boating was allowed if we went out in groups - twos and threes etc, and one of us ran out of fuel etc, then one of

the others could tow us back without involving any rescue services. For us yachties, it's even easier, as we have two modes of propulsion.

NOW- how do we get out powers that be - the ones we all pay levies to etc, eg, Yachting NZ; yacht squadron  etc - to go to bat on our behalf and make appropriate representations to the

Minister of Sport to say we can do the above. Sailing has gotta be safer than surfing for example and they allowed that last time.

Any suggestions, or do we have to start a petition? If we do nothing - months could go by and the only boats on the water will be the Americas Cup wallas?

Come on- suggest

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Talkback callers to FoxNews Newstalk ZB this morning have been calling to just let the virus run free, and if you die you die. I don't normally listen to that alt-right talkback crapback on ZB, b

Its so easy to be an armchair critic - you don't have to take into account conflicting needs, the reality of balancing health and business and social and other interests.  You just have to blindly and

C'mon AA it was a move of sheer political genius to invent a global pandemic just in time for the election. 

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Island Time said:

It's pretty stupid that ALL the border staff, incl security etc at the quarantine facilities are not tested, at least weekly.

I’d have agreed if you’d of said ‘inconceivably stupid’. 

Im in disbelief anyway. 

After all that ‘don’t get complacent NZ....’ 

🙄🙄🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

10 hours ago, alibaba said:

OK Guys and Gals- this bloody level 3 lockdown could go on [ and off and on etc] for months. We need to get the powers that be to be a bit more sensible about boating.

The only reason stated to stop recreational boating is that if we went out and got into trouble, the Coastguard volunteers would have to be put at Covid risk to come and

assist us and tow us home etc.

We can do a bit of logical thinking here- IF that's the reason, THEN if boating was allowed if we went out in groups - twos and threes etc, and one of us ran out of fuel etc, then one of

the others could tow us back without involving any rescue services. For us yachties, it's even easier, as we have two modes of propulsion.

NOW- how do we get out powers that be - the ones we all pay levies to etc, eg, Yachting NZ; yacht squadron  etc - to go to bat on our behalf and make appropriate representations to the

Minister of Sport to say we can do the above. Sailing has gotta be safer than surfing for example and they allowed that last time.

Any suggestions, or do we have to start a petition? If we do nothing - months could go by and the only boats on the water will be the Americas Cup wallas?

Come on- suggest

I'm a little annoyed with the blanket ban, and think that it is perfectly reasonable to go for a sail under certain circumstances. Specifically, staying in your bubble, staying in your local area, and doing a low risk activity. For me, taking the family out meets all of those criteria. 

I think the issue comes about when you look from the lens of the government, at how to manage that:

A lot of yachting is a highly social sport, think a dozen people crowded on the rail and cockpit of your average Wednesday night racer. All of those people are from different bubbles. Ora cruiser who goes out with a mate to help handle the boat.

Then motor boats. The typical kiwi speed boat parks on a driveway, with the bloke taking it fishing, usually with a couple of mates (from different bubbles) or the neighbour, to help with launch and retrieve (from a different bubble). We know two families that go speed / motor boating with just their family, in their bubble, and I think they could all undertaking their usual boating activities while maintaining the other guidelines.

But, there is no way for the govt or Police to manage that. We all would need to rely on trust that no one is going boating with someone from outside of their bubble. And we know what happens if you rely on trust already.

You would need Police at every boat ramp in the region, and they are currently tied up doing security at MIQ hotels and checkpoints at Auckland's borders with the rest of NZ.

So, I agree with the sentiment that we should be able to go boating, but I aren't going to complain about a blanket ban (at the moment). The govt have far bigger decisions that I want them to spend their time on, so they get them right (right now).

In saying that, it is apparent we will be going into a much longer lockdown (I'm picking 4 weeks minimum). The question is L3 or L4. For people to comply with the requirements, I think the govt need to be a bit more pragmatic, and loosen those requirements a degree. Key examples are allowing a wide range of businesses to operate click and collect. This would require staff in those business to form a bubble (in addition to their family bubble), but there is an urgent need to keep the economy moving and as many small businesses as possible afloat. 

The second key point is allowing a wider range of recreational activities, and a slightly wider range from home. There is a big issue with mental health, family stress and family breakdown (divorces etc) to address. People need a bit of space from their family occasionally, and a good bit of exercise / recreational activity to be able to manage the stress of all of this. Last lockdown, we did not leave Stanmore Bay. If we do this again, I want to be able to go as far as Orewa Beach (for a surf, and to play with the kids in the waves, cycle on the estuary cycle path, just teaching the kids how to cycle), and to be able to go to Shakespear park, get into nature, and be able to go for a good walk up a hill / blow the cobwebs outs. We didn't do any of that last time, for fear of being seen to be breaking the rules. From the last experiences, we really need to keep the kids active, and we all need a change of scenery just to stay sane. And staying sane isn't a flippant comment.

I am hearing stories of grown men crying at the thought of another hard lockdown. It is tough being stuck at home with bored & fractious kids, and a stressed missus, overlayed with concerns about jobs, money and the future. So yes, I am hoping for a more pragmatic approach, and L3 not L4.

Apologies for the long post. I

47 minutes ago, lateral said:

L4 not going to happen at this point in time. Which is sensible.

More contact tracing and ring fencing and back to L2 ASAP please. Also fine the plonkers  that are not pulling their weight.

Winnie you’re a gonna. You’re way past your use by.

I think you are right. Seeing as Cindy is not going to issue advice until 5.30pm tonite, I would speculate L3 continues for Auckland region until Monday when it will be reviewed again. For those of us with businesses that cannot trade, L3 or L4 does not make any difference.

I had a great sail yesterday and last night was awesome having no speed limits on the Akl motorways, awesome for giving the big bikes a good blow out in case they get locked down for a while. Loving Level 3 to bits.

But this thread does seem to mirror the Government sadly, a bunch of pricks running around like headless chooks with no real idea WTF is happening and reacting as it happens rather than using a plan that should have been in place months ago. Am I surprised Covid is loose, Nope not at all after that quarantine and isolation bullshit we went thru (and still have no results for) and the lack of testing where it's needed the most and should have been the no brainer to beat all no brainers. The Govt looks a bit too much possum in the headlights and after all the time they have had that should not be happening. But I am surprised to see a few of the pro-PM media starting to change their tune so fast, I was of the thought they were so infatuated it would take a lot more than this.

I'd like to know what JA's bosses are saying right now, I bet they are nervous as hell about this with the election looming.

Oh well at least the last parts for my WR have arrived so I get to play mechanic again today, quite enjoying this new little home detention time filler.

37 minutes ago, erice said:

hopefully the main active quarantine centres, like the ibis hotel at the airport, will now have all their staff tested once a fortnight 

They are easily the most susceptible and likely to catch it and then the most likely to spread it.

They should be tested every day and they should have been since day 1.

So the message from the top in the media was more testing, if you have symptoms get a test blah blah blah... 

So how come one of the new cases was repeatedly refused a test, despite obviously symptoms? 

Why has the message still been so different to reality?