Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

Marsh /Mark

On the Karma if we couldn;t cant our keel theres no point in going yachting if you look at it in the respect of our bulb is say 300kg lighter than a standard 30ft boat on a boat that is only 1300kg sailing any so I will put money on it the gains are far more than 3% and I am sure we get appropriatly penalised on PHRF and if we tried on IRC think we would get laughed put the door so no point in trying.

Cheers

Gappy

I've only got 767 kgs on the Demo

Wal ok well we are two thirds of thet pretty much

Thanks for the feedback.

I did regrettably make yet another error in my Briefings report. :oops: Skiddy Too was the smallest boat in the Premier division, but not the fleet.

Apologies to Mike, Roddy, Chris and Kim on board Cheetah II... who were of course on board the smallest boat in the fleet at 30 feet.

Jodie BW

his keel cants to 18 degrees

what does the ran tan do?? 45??

the keel makes up for the 3 other crew he cant find not the 30 crew he has replaced

and from the crew.org home page / YNZ briefings a quote from Bretton himself...

I was being very conservative by running the keel at 30 degrees rather the 40 degrees, just to be safe.'
Yep AA I don't know why he wasn't dsq'd or at least penalised as allowed for in the SI's. Lion was penalised last year in the Noumea race and she still made most of the scheds.

Maybe they make allowances because he is a singlehander which is bullshit given that meeting scheds aint that difficult even when shorthanded. If he doesn't have an SSB most of the rest of us rented a satphone for backup for the cost of the about 2 hundy and you have to use those in the cockpit anyway.

Yes I remeber it was the same when he did the last race to Musket.

But my point really was simply that he didn't give the organisers much chance to promote his achievement and the opportunity many have commented on here to promote him as a sinlgehander competing in the race was not available until the end. I didn't see the tracker but I understand he didn't have that in much (it al all) either.

Skeds were made firstly to Maritime radio via VHF, then to New Zealand Customs, then relayed via ships. If the reporting wasn’t past on then why should disqualification apply. The protest was heard and thrown out.

his keel cants to 18 degrees

what does the ran tan do?? 45??

the keel makes up for the 3 other crew he cant find not the 30 crew he has replaced

Skiddy Too's Keel Cants to 45

N10R you are sure on the ball, this discussion was had weeks ago...

We monitored Maritime Radio 0n VHF (16,67,70,71 etc) all the way up the coast and never heard him come up.

You claim he was doing skeds with NZ Customs, on what, if it was their vessel how many times did he bring them up? Once, twice?

As to passing ships, we saw one, how many skeds were done with passing ships?

If your information is correct he might have done 4-5 skeds out of 17 odd, yep thats fair.

Is the protest info posted anywhere?

The rest of us had to comply with the SI's why not this guy?

Bullrush was the plug for Peacemaker - she is an Elliot 12m, designed in 1989, but was launched as 'Divine Madness' in 1992. Shortly after launching the boat was sold at mortagee auction and purchased by the late John Bull (RIP)...and renamed Bullrush. Bullrush was purchased five years ago, after owning General Jackson (a farr 38) for 5 years. She was quite run down and was in need of a birthday..which she got in the form of a new interior and a repaint....this is our forth offshore trip with her and hopefully there will be many more.

I just discovered this site. I built Bullrush aka Divine Madness.

You are quite correct she was launched in 1992 but not sold by tender until 1995, I think. much to my regret, courtesy of a shonky accountant aided by equally shonky lawyer and broker.

During the 2 and a half years I raced her albeit on a shoe string I had a lot of fun and guns, which is what she was built for. Its great to see she is still giving a lot of fun to the new owners. I saw her on the marina this Jan coming in from a rum race and she still looks like she is doing 10 knots plus at her berth!

Hi Rigger, I am new to the site so I don't know all the post histories. I was going to correct you about 1991 :lol: she was still in the shed at Pete and Terry's in McLeod Rd.

1993, 1994 sound s like you were one of the regulars, Paul, Steve????

There are a few other misconceptions about the old DM. The design dated to 1988, the deck was new, the sail plan altered to suit 2 handed plus a new keel and rudder drawn by Richard Karn also ballasted with 2 handed in mind but without incurring a bulb penalty under IMS.

Archived